Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:44: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Art and Artwork
| | | |-+  Can anyone identify this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can anyone identify this?  (Read 6565 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 06 22, 2004, 12:21: AM »

In attempting to answer qoSagh's question about Klingon artforms: Just what is out there???, I plugged Klingon art into Google Images and came up with the attached image. When I clicked on the URL (listed as www.oafe.net/yo/art/borgak3.jpg) it came up 404, so I grabbed the image for later study before it was dropped from the cache system.

It looks to me like heavily stylized back armor with the copper-colored part being of a more flexible material allowing the wearer to bend at the waist while still protecting the lumbar area with the silver-toned piece protruding into it. It may be from an ornate ceremonial outfit or from a statue; I don't see it as being very practical to try to move much in, let alone wear into combat. My perceptions may be unduly influenced by what looks like a stylized representation of the (Imperial Klingon) spine. Do others agree or disagree with my assessment? This looks like an "excerpt"/close-up of a larger piece; it would be much easier to identify in context.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 06 24, 2004, 08:00: PM »

From the narrow view we have, I say it looks a little more like a Chest plate than a Back plate. While the vertical center is certainly similar to the common Klingon spine protector, look at the way the bottom of the top section flares outward, similar to the bottom of the ribcage. That would make the lower silver section a belt or waist protector. The copper colored section would seem then to be a stomach protector.

Now this theory is only based on looks and one wonders if organ protection is as important to a species with redundant organs as it is to humans. The fact that this is just a narrow slice of the image and not the entire thing, may mean that it is part of a larger piece of artwork, maybe the panel type talked about in the other thread.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #2 on: 06 25, 2004, 10:07: PM »

The metal that the piece is made out of looks familiar.  The pattern and style of the entire -viewable- piece also looks familiar.  

I believe what we are looking at is the back of an assimilated Klingon.  The metal appears to conform with the Borg "uniforms" of the 2370's.  It appears, to me, that the owner of those spine ridges was assimilated while still in the Klingon Uniform and when the borgification was complete it incorporated the metal spines into the metal borg body.  Also if you look closely at the copper-ish piece at the small of the back it looks like it is either covering or part of Borg circuitry.

[Edit -- deleted reduntant post]
« Last Edit: 06 28, 2004, 12:32: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
tapez_sonof_chang
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 06 26, 2004, 01:36: PM »

a full blown pic of the klingon in question would be cool

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 06 26, 2004, 03:59: PM »

The page that it came from is back up.   It is an assimilated Klingon action figure.   Here I was going to poopoo the whole notion, because of the lively coppery/gold metal, atypical of the dull lifeless borg.  But then again, this was a Klingon, so his heart shines even through the cold robotic exterior.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: