Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:33: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  In need of assistance.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In need of assistance.  (Read 2307 times)
Krich
Newcomer

« on: 01 31, 2013, 04:21: AM »

I am in a wheelchair due to Multiple Sclerosis. I am having a great deal of problems with the armor I have purchased.
It constantly bunches up and does not stay where it belongs, causing me to fight with it rather than maintain control
Of my chair. Does anyone here make armor that could be made for the wheelchair user?

Krich
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 01 31, 2013, 10:25: PM »

I am no costume maker and I have no first hand experience with a wheelchair, but it seems to me that two things might work to alleviate the situation. First is to make the armor shorter overall. As you are always sitting, the bottom needs to stop above your hips, it does not need to be able to be pulled down when you stand up ala Picard. The next would be possibly to add some non armor openings in the back, that could either be laced up or made of some more flexible material, so that as you move around in the wheelchair the armor moves more freely. Just some thoughts, I hope are somewhat helpful.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Krich
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 02 01, 2013, 12:37: AM »

Thank you for the advice. Currently the armor I have cannot be altered. However, there has to be someone who could make mine shorter. If anyone knows someone, I would be very grateful.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 02 03, 2013, 12:03: AM »

I suggest you do a web search for Klingon costumers, contact those you find, and present them with your costuming challenges.

I have come across a number of costumers over the years who do custom work. My current sources follow:
 - Trish’s Stitches and q’IDar’s site; both come highly recommended.
 - The Internet Media Costume Resources List lists a number of Star Trek-related costume sites, though I do not know how current or comprehensive the list is.
 - Shadowdale Creations sells a variety of Klingon clothing and accessories in standardized sizes, but also does custom work.

If you come across anyone who is of help in accommodating costumes to wheelchair use, do come back and post their contact information. This question has come up before. There is definitely an untapped market out there.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: