Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 06:35: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Webmasters Guild
| | |-+  Introduce Your Website
| | | |-+  Klingonize-Convert your name in Klingonese characters (klingonize.us)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingonize-Convert your name in Klingonese characters (klingonize.us)  (Read 10813 times)
Dagoth
Novice

« on: 01 25, 2013, 01:23: PM »

http://klingonize.us/
What do you think about my website, guys? It is not finished yet, but for the most parts, that will be it. At a later stage, we will embed a game, but it is still in progress...

Description
Welcome to Klingonize! If you are a Star Trek movies and particularly Klingons fan, this will be a site you will enjoy.
Here you can convert your name, written in latin characters into Klingonese ones, using the authentc Klingon alphabet (pIqaD). If you ever meet a Klingon and you don't have an Universal translator you must be able to properly introduce yourself. You can share your name in Klingonese symbols with freinds on the social networks or wherever else you want.
Here on Klingonize.us you can also create your custom forum signatures (userbars and other types) in the near future. We will also introduce to you Star Trek related games absolutely free.
« Last Edit: 01 25, 2013, 08:43: PM by Dagoth » Logged

http://klingonize.us/  - Convert your name in Klingonese characters.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 01 26, 2013, 03:53: AM »

Since tlhIngan Hol and English have different letters and different pronunciations for the common letters it really does nothing but replace the English letters with rough equivalents which do not render the words as either all that pronounceable or all that normal looking in tlhIngan Hol. That being said, replacement alphabets are some of the oldest Klingon alphabets out there and have been used in a number of publications including those authorized by Paraborg. So have at it, but it will never really be Klingonized.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Chugosh
Scribe

« Reply #2 on: 01 26, 2013, 05:57: AM »

So what would Chugosh, pronounced "chew-gosh" look like in the Klingon in English letters?
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #3 on: 01 26, 2013, 02:52: PM »

It's a nice effort, but I'd recommend some changes to the code to make sure that proper tlhIngan Hol words render correctly.

Currently, it goes letter by letter, and thereby turns the five-phoneme word tlhIngan into the eight-phoneme word tlHInghan, and the word tIgh into tIghH.

A fairly simple way to fix this is to introduce some dummy letters to each of the di-/trigraphs ng, gh, ch and tlh. For example, and don't currently map to anything, so you could follow the following algorithm:

gh ->
ng ->
tlh ->
ch ->

Then map all of these characters to the corresponding pIqaD symbols.

(Note that it's important to deal with gh before dealing with ng. Otherwise, words like nenghep will become malformed.
Also note that it's important this be case-sensitive: Otherwise, you'll turn tungHa' into tungha'.)

Also, it seems the script currently doesn't handle apostrophes, and that it treats q and Q as the same symbols.

So what would Chugosh, pronounced "chew-gosh" look like in the Klingon in English letters?
I'd probably recommend chu'qaS.
TroGok
Scribe

Today is not a good day to die

« Reply #4 on: 04 15, 2013, 11:03: PM »

i did something like this. I am Tro'Gok house of Martok. (Troh'Juak)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: