Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 08:21: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Is there a Klingon version of the Maori Haka war dance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a Klingon version of the Maori Haka war dance?  (Read 17070 times)
Chugosh
Scribe

« on: 01 13, 2013, 08:16: PM »

Because if there is not, there really aught to be.

Yes, Klingon Style is fun, but does not quite do it.

I would have thought I would have found an example of Klingon fans doing the Haka on youtube, but was surprised and disappointed.
Dagoth
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 01 14, 2013, 12:12: PM »

Klingons are not good dancers. They dance with weapons, but rarely do standard dances. They are good singers, though.

http://klingonize.us/  - Convert your name in Klingonese characters.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 02 13, 2013, 09:49: AM »

Klingons have one word for motion that is not intended for travel.  So to a Klingon there may be little significant difference between calisthenics, martial arts, yoga and the myriad of artistic dance styles.

If you think about it, any dance style requires a good deal of balance, strength, coordination, and accurate muscle control.    So while Terran ballet my not have a particularly macho image to terrrans, Klingons would likely have more respect even for this highly stylized dance due to its demanding nature.   We know Worf enjoyed doing the makbara, which Michal Dorn acted out as just aTai Chi routine, which people might think of as a martial art, but it is also as highly stylized as ballet, to the point that it is more of a dance, or a moving meditation than anything that could be considered ever remotely useful in a combat situation.

So I don't see why there wouldn't be several war dances that would be similar.  Especially in the since the Empire is such a large place, with many worlds and colonies that each would develop thier own unique sub culture within the larger Klingon culture.
Chugosh
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 02 13, 2013, 03:27: PM »

A very interesting point, Klythe.
Thanks for your thought on the subject.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 02 13, 2013, 11:32: PM »

Thanks.  I have to be worthy of my lofty title of "Thought Master" lest it become an insult.

Hmmm.  In looking into this further, and to try and find where I read about the word for calisthenics (mI') also being used for exercise in general, dances and about any other movement not for clearly practical purposes...      There are references in HolQeD #10.2 pg 10-11 of Classic Klingon Ballet, being performed barefoot, due to the amazing flexibility and control of the Klingon toes.

Ah, here it is in Klingon For the Galactic Traveler  (Google books excerpt may not always be available).  They also talk about what the Federation's translators call "Klingon Fire Dancers", but suggest that than translation does not adequately prepare the audience for the mI' that the qul mI'wI'pu' perform.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: