Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:13: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  General Language Discussion in English
| | | |-+  dreaming in Hol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dreaming in Hol  (Read 1792 times)
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« on: 10 03, 2012, 10:28: PM »

I just started reteaching myself tlhIngan Hol after a couple years of letting my books and Cd's collect dust. I got to thinking yesterday and I thought it would be interesting to find out. Has anyone ever dreamt entirely in tlhIngan Hol?
Lord VamPyr
Scribe

« Reply #1 on: 11 15, 2012, 05:00: PM »

I personally have not, but this indeed a interesting question for those who consider themselves masters..

IKV Mystic Vampyr
General Vam 'Pyr Epetai Vam'Pyr
Mystic of the Outer Realm And Middle Earth
http://www.housevampyr.com
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 11 18, 2012, 03:38: AM »

I have never been a student of ta Hol*, but have picked up a bit here and there simply from continued exposure. While I do not remember ever having dreamt in anything but klingonaase (seriously, from what I know of it), I have had dreams in which I have struggled to understand the thlIngan Hol being spoken and only recognized a few words here and there. I have also had dreams wherein I’ve fought to generate a few simple phrases from what little I can dig out of my brain, just trying to make myself understood. Frustrating.

I have experienced this with Earthbound languages, too. Also frustrating. I expect that in my case, it is more of a general communications barrier issue than a Klingon- or thlIngan Hol-related issue.

I too look forward to responses from those who have conquered the language.

-=- Kesvirit

*the current predominant Klingon language

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #3 on: 11 18, 2012, 01:49: PM »

When I was living in the U.S., people would often ask me what language I did my thinking in: English or Swedish.
It was always very difficult for me to answer that question, and I usually answered something like "Both ... or neither."

Unconscious thought appears to be more or less language-less. Some words may be thrown around, but they don't all have to be from the same language, or follow any particular syntax, and they're mixed with images, feelings and the like; it's almost like a multimedial pidgin. A concept for which there is no word in English and requires a long explanation can be imagined as easily and as something covered by a one-syllable word.

Likewise, when I ask myself what language I dream is, I find that most of the time language doesn't factor into it. People may speak, but I understand them without relying on words, and when I wake up, I find that I can quote them in both English and Swedish, and neither retelling of events is more truthful than the other.

So, while I've had dreams the plots of which involved people speaking Klingon, I doubt my mind actually went to the trouble of formulating Klingon sentences. I just knew they were speaking Klingon, and I knew what they were saying, and that was all that was needed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: