Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:50: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  General Language Discussion in English
| | | |-+  Weapons Officer and Years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weapons Officer and Years  (Read 2154 times)
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« on: 04 05, 2012, 04:24: AM »

I have a few problems.

In Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, on page 53, in seems to imply (to me) that nuHpIn ("weapons officer") and ya ("tactical officer") are two different jobs. The thing is, on Star Trek, "weapons officer" is just the Klingons' preferred term for "tactical officer." In short, they are identical. So my question is: Would it be seen as confusing or improper if I used them as synonyms, and would other Klingon speakers know they mean the same thing?

My other problem is with years. I hesitate to use Earth years in my Klingon fiction unless the context would call for it. Memory Alpha estimates a year on Kronos as being about 567 Earth days, assuming the calendar starts with the death of Kahless. Have any of you used this system or found another way around this problem? How have you presented time from a Klingon point of view?

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 04 10, 2012, 11:05: PM »

As for years, check out my thread on the Klingon Calendar, which is a long unfinished project of mine. However it has much raw data.

I do not see tactical officer and weapons officer as the same job, but I do not know of a reliable enough source either way. To my way of thinking, the tactical officer is more of a thinking job, he may also have a role away from the bridge, in that he may actually design battle plans and forms of attack/defense. While I see the weapons officer as in charge of the weapons system, fire control plus a bit of engineering. He may oversee other fire control and weapons related tasks, but is probably working on orders from the Captain and maybe following a plan devised by the tactical officer.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 04 15, 2012, 06:19: AM »

I was just going by what I've seen on Star Trek. The Klingons always refer to tactical officers as "weapons officers." Memory Alpha also notes this in its article for "tactical officer" (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tactical_officer). I really like your interpretation, though.

Could I use -'a' to indicate a department head? For example, QeDpIn'a' for "Chief Science Officer?" I wasn't sure if the word indicated a general officer in that department or the leader of the department, because it features pIn ("boss," which I know is slang for an expert).

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 04 16, 2012, 09:44: PM »

I think I'll use stardates.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: