Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:55: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  The Reception Hall
| | |-+  Greetings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1965 times)
Someone
Novice

« on: 02 08, 2012, 10:24: AM »

I'm just going to introduce myself in English or I shall be laughed out of the forum. So, hello! I'm Someone. I'm a newbie. Not just to this forum, not even just to Klingons, but to Trek in general. I watched my first episode of Trek two or three weeks ago. But despite being a newbie I consider myself a fan and am eager to immerse myself in Klingon culture. A brief life story: My Mum hates how much of a nerd I am, and has been determined to keep me away from Star Trek for years. Fortunately, she failed. I have never spoken a word of Klingon in my entire life, but I am very interested in learning. And what better way to learn than to get in touch with Klingon speakers? I hope I'll be accepted. I'm not exactly one of you guys but I will be eventually. Smiley
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 02 08, 2012, 03:24: PM »

Klingons prize honor above all. This means no lying or deception. Klingons prize a strong family almost as much as their own honor.

Were this not so Kahless would not have fought with his brother for 12 days over a lie.

Were this not so Worf would not have devoted so much of his misguided efforts to finding his father and hiding his brother.

So my advice to you is to do nothing that would require you to "avoid parental detection" this is not what Klingons are about, and speaking Klingon without understanding Klingons is a pointless endeavor.

At some point, you will be able to make your own decisions, and at that time you may elect to learn this language. However no course of study is worth loosing your house or line over.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Someone
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 02 09, 2012, 05:24: AM »

Thanks for the advice, but my Mum isn't really serious in her opposition to Star Trek; she complains about it but doesn't make an effort to stop me from watching it. And I think she is growing to accept it. Her main concern seems to be that my obssession with Star Trek will get in the way of my education, so I've been making my point by completing all homework and study BEFORE watching any Star Trek. I've seen signs of her acceptance; she's given me the 'Live Long and Prosper' salute a couple of times (sort of in a mocking way, but in a nicely mocking way... if that makes sense...) and I think my obvious delight in Star Trek is winning her over. As a parent she can't really object to something that makes her daughter happy.
As for speaking Klingon, she's told me not to, but I think I can understand her reasons and convince her they're groundless. She probably thinks I'll speak it at school and be teased or something, but in reality I just want to get a deeper look at Star Trek, and learning more about the Klingons is a good way to do that.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 02 09, 2012, 03:43: PM »

I personally find Klingons to be fascinating, with and/or without the language. There are several forums out there, although this is by far the most academic of them all. Stay for a while, look at the various threads, see the opinions and ideas about culture, science, politics as they relate to Klingons. There is much time to learn the language, but there is also much else to learn aside from language. Perhaps even seeing the high place honor and family and even education play in Klingon society might be of benefit to helping your mother understand all of this.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Someone
Novice

« Reply #4 on: 02 12, 2012, 09:42: AM »

I've been reading many of the threads on Klingon Culture and I agree that there is much of interest and to learn other than the language. I think I shall come back to the language when I know more about what it means to be Klingon. Thank you for your advice. I shall try to show my Mother that learning more about Klingons would be beneficial, rather than a distraction.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 02 13, 2012, 03:39: PM »

All learning is beneficial, it is just a matter of degrees.

Remember the key here is that while we all enjoy this shared hobby, Klingons are a fictional race and as such are rarely very high up on that scale of degrees. This is not to say that we do not take of debates and discussions here seriously, of course we do. However there are and always should be other priorities. I think this is very likely what your mother is thinking about and you finishing assigned schoolwork first is a good tactic. Remember that Klingons are a subset of Star Trek and Star Trek is a subset of science fiction which follows a path straight to education, without which no science ever would have got off the ground.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #6 on: 02 20, 2012, 04:12: AM »

Any Klingon will acknowledge that one's duty must be completed before pursuing your personal interests.

It is true, art imitates life and vice versa.  If you follow your passions far enough, no matter what they are you will Find yourself learning new things, whether it is Science, Engineering, Philosophy, Sociology, Art, Psychology...  I have seen more than one academic paper inspired by My Little Pony.    But I am proud of the depth and rigor that has been applied to resolving questions posed on these forums.  I know I have learned a lot from participating in these discussions.  We've discussed Biology, Linguistics, and Cultural Anthropology in several threads.   Economics, Literature, Music, just about all fields of human endeavor we attempt to analyze against what we know of Klingons and we attempt to understand and explain how the needs these endeavors fulfill would be addressed by a an alien species in and out of their own distinct culture.   And in doing this, we learn a bit more about ourselves and each other.  Even Sex, Politics and Religion are discussed in a thoughtful manner despite the high level of risks that things are said that go over the line... And they do more than often enough, so we also learn to have thicker skins and learn to be more sensitive and aware of others...

I just want to reiterate how proud I am to be a part of the discussions here, and hope this gives you more ammunition to defend your passion for Klingons, Star Trek, and Science Fiction.  Because Science Fiction and Science both start with questions that start "What if ..."
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 02 20, 2012, 06:27: PM »

Even Sex, Politics and Religion are discussed in a thoughtful manner despite the high level of risks that things are said that go over the line... And they do more than often enough, so we also learn to have thicker skins and learn to be more sensitive and aware of others...

I don't ever remember things getting nasty or even that personal here. Probably because we are speculating on a fictional society, which allows us to distance ourselves from these views somewhat.  I know that some of what I have theorized about Klingon society specifically as it relates to politics is not in line with how I feel about human politics. I will leave it at that.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: