Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 25, 2014, 11:21: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11641 Posts in 1600 Topics by 664 Members
Latest Member: johnclo
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  translation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: translation  (Read 534 times)
aquatrek
One Post Wonder

« on: 10 26, 2013, 10:35: PM »

HELP -TRANSLATION PLS AS i AM A NEWBY

a'nglyshSngan Hol yIjatlh. He'So' QIchlIj.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 10 27, 2013, 01:34: AM »

Hello and welcome!
HELP -TRANSLATION PLS AS i AM A NEWBY

a'nglyshSngan Hol yIjatlh. He'So' QIchlIj.
I think you want DIvI' Hol ("Federation language", or "English").

The  word a'nglyshSngan doesn't really work in tlhIngan Hol:
Words have to begin in a consonant.
y is a consonant.
'ngly is a forbidden consonant cluster.
There is no lower-case s in romanized Klingon, and lower-case only appears in the digraphs gh and ch and in the trigraph tlh.

The S is actually pronounced similar to "sh", so "English" can be appproximated phonetically as 'InglIS.

As for He'So' QIchlIj: I've seen others use this phrase, too, but I advise against it. Saying bad things "stink" is an English figure of speech and might be meaningless to a Klingon. Consider SaS QIchlIj ("your speech is horizontal", or "your speech is terrible").
« Last Edit: 10 27, 2013, 04:40: AM by tesseraktik » Logged
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #2 on: 10 27, 2013, 02:33: AM »

The  word a'nglyshSngan doesn't really work in tlhIngan Hol

I think that was the point: the speaker was mocking the listener's accent in Klingon, by saying the word "English" with an exaggeratedly heavy Klingon accent.

And you didn't answer the question. Even after reading your answer, it's not clear that the phrase was an attempt at "Speak An-ga-lish! Your accent [when speaking Klingon] stinks".
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #3 on: 10 27, 2013, 04:43: AM »

The  word a'nglyshSngan doesn't really work in tlhIngan Hol

I think that was the point: the speaker was mocking the listener's accent in Klingon, by saying the word "English" with an exaggeratedly heavy Klingon accent.
Yeaaaaaaaah ... no.

And you didn't answer the question. Even after reading your answer, it's not clear that the phrase was an attempt at "Speak An-ga-lish! Your accent [when speaking Klingon] stinks".
Ah, that's true; I should remember never to answer these questions before my morning coffee Tongue
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 10 28, 2013, 01:28: PM »

Besides wouldn't the correct word be terrangan, not [English]ngan? terra being Tlhingan for Earth?

That also blends nicely with the old FASA / klingonasse use of the terms Earther as an insult.

This way we are saying the language of the Earthers not specifically English.

Plus a Klingon telling you to communicate with him in your language is also letting you know that he speaks your language fluently whereas the implication is that you do not speak his fluently at all. This also harkens back to FASA which maintained that a Klingon who knew the Federation language was of a higher status. So this automatically is the Klingon telling you that he is better than you.

This starts off the linguistic battle quite well.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #5 on: 10 28, 2013, 04:09: PM »

Besides wouldn't the correct word be terrangan, not [English]ngan? terra being Tlhingan for Earth?
tera'ngan.
If anything, though, it'd be tera' Hol, "the language of Earth" (tera'ngan Hol would be "the Terran's language", which could be Spanish, German, French ... or even Vulcan, if the Terran has learned to speak it). However, DIvI' Hol is a canonical way of referring to "Federation standard",  which is essentially English. tera' Hol might be a good way to refer to English in the ST:Enterprise era; after the unification of Earth but before the Federation was formed.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #6 on: 10 16, 2014, 03:55: PM »

I'd think tera'ngan Hol would be a better parallel to tlhIngan Hol, which we call the Klingon language, not the Kli-inhabitants' language... It is also ta' Hol, The emporer's language, particularly the most appropriate dialect.  Certainly a language can be called more than on thing.  If there are any questions which DIvI' Hol you are speaking you could answer tera'ngan Hol. If there was a question of which tera'ngan Hol, You could describe it (the main one, the big one...)..  Most specifically I would cal it <<Teranglo>>  because I love the portmanteau and I saw it on fandom tech manuals.  
« Last Edit: 10 17, 2014, 02:33: PM by Klythe » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: