Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 18, 2014, 03:44: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11499 Posts in 1568 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: hesed1968
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Translation for a klingon sentence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Translation for a klingon sentence  (Read 6201 times)
1HC26
Newcomer

« on: 01 11, 2011, 05:26: PM »

Hello,

a friend of my give give me the following sentence as a puzzle to solve. But it's to hard for me.

HIghoS tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh chaw'chu' 'oH mo''e'

Is there someone out in the universe, who could translate this sentence?

Best regards
Dirk
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #1 on: 01 11, 2011, 06:56: PM »

Since he gave it to you as a puzzle, I don't want to just solve it for you.

What I can do is point you in the right direction:

http://hol.kag.org/?words=HIghoS%20tlhIngan%20Hol%20wIjatlh%20chaw'chu'%20'oH%20mo'%20'e'

Click that link to go to a web page that lists the translations for each of the words in the phrase.

You'll need to learn a little Klingon grammar to put the pieces together correctly though. All the information you need is on that site. If you still can't figure it out, post here again and I'll give you some more pointers.

1HC26
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 01 12, 2011, 06:19: AM »

Thank you very much for your answer.

I tried to translate it, but it's very difficult for me, because I am no english native speaker. So I had to translate it from Klingon to english and than from english to german ;-)

What I get, if I understand it right, is:

"The reasone that the approach to speak Klingon language allow it perfectly."

What I am looking for is a password for a secured ZIP archive.

Please, could you give me a little more help?

Best regards
Dirk
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #3 on: 01 12, 2011, 08:52: AM »

The biggest problem is that the original sentence can be broken down into a number of possible translations. Is it:

HIghoS. tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh. chaw'chu'. 'oH. mo''e'. (Come here!. We speak Klingon. It is clearly permitted. It. As for the cage.)

or

HIghoS. tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh. chaw'chu' 'oH. mo''e'. (Come here! We speak Klingon. It is clearly permitted. As for the cage.)

or

HIghoS. tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh. chaw'chu' 'oHmo''e'. (Come here!. We speak Klingon. Due to it, and only it, being permitted)

These aren't the only options. There are more ways to translate the end of the sentence (chaw'chu' 'oH mo''e').

I would warrant a guess that your friend does not speak Klingon properly, so trying to get back to what he originally meant is going to be hard.

You best bet at this point might be to take him the translations you have and ask if it's what he originally meant.

ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #4 on: 01 12, 2011, 11:42: AM »

I'm guessing the ending is supposed to be "the cage permits completely", or "the cage is completely permitted".  I think that he added 'oH as the subject marker of chaw', not realizing it doesn't need one, added mo' as the real subject, and then added the 'e' because he misunderstood the use of 'e' in "is" sentences and hyper-corrected it's use here. Either translation is then possible, depending on if he thought chaw' was active or passive.
1HC26
Newcomer

« Reply #5 on: 01 12, 2011, 02:32: PM »

He says, that chaw' should be interpreted as a noun. And the sentence didn't have a explicit predicate. The sentence should be chaw'chu''oH mo''e'. Could it be "The reason that it clearly permit".
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #6 on: 01 14, 2011, 12:41: PM »

If it's a noun, it can't take -chu'. I guess it could be chu' as an adjective: 'new permit/license'. I still can't figure it out.

"Come! We speak Klingon. The cage/reason is the (new) license"?

Maybe it's a private joke.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: