Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 31, 2014, 03:55: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11641 Posts in 1600 Topics by 664 Members
Latest Member: johnclo
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Dog Training Commands in Klingon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dog Training Commands in Klingon  (Read 9201 times)
johnwade
Newcomer

« on: 01 28, 2011, 05:08: PM »

Hi,

I train dogs for a living and just started a new dog for my own use. He will be trained primarily in scent work but will be learning advanced obedience, some bite work, tracking etc. I would like to explore the possibility of using the Klingon language equivalent to traditional commands. Is the correct place to ask for assistance for this sort of thing?

john
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 01 29, 2011, 08:09: AM »

When addressing pets, Klingons use what's called "Clipped Klingon", an abbreviated form of the language.  For instance, "Sit!" becomes simply ba'!, rather than yIba'!.

From "Power Klingon":

SuH. - Ready. (This signifies that the master is about to issue a command)
ba'! - Sit! (normally, yIba'!)
Qam! - Stand! (normally, yIQam!)
naDev ghoS! - Come here! (normally, naDev yIghoS!)
Sop! - Eat! (normally, yISop!)
Sop 'e' mev! - Stop eating! (normally, bISop 'e' yImev!)
HIv! - Attack! (normally, yIHIv!)
'uSDaj chop chev! - Bite his/her/its leg off! (normally, 'uSDaj yIchop yIchev!
DeSvetlh yIv! - Chew that arm! (normally, DeSvetlh yIyIv!)
mev! - Do not do that! (normally, yImev!)
jol SeHlaw lIghHa'! - Get off the transport control panel! (normally, jol SeHlaw yIlIghHa'! (interestingly, lIgh really means "to ride"; uncertain what this implies))
naDev Dochvetlh qem! - Bring that here! (normally, naDev Dochvetlh yIqem!)
naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'! - I really mean it, this time; BRING THAT HERE! (normally, naDev Dochvetlh yIqemqu'!)
qab, Ha'DIbaH qab. - Bad!  Bad animal! (to be perfectly proper, I suppose Ha'DIbaH qab SoH. ("You are a bad animal.") would be used)

Some of my own suggestions:
largh! - Smell it! (normally, yIlargh!)
ghoch! - Track it! (normally, yIghoch!)
maj. - Good.  Well done.
majQa'! - Very good!  Good animal!
johnwade
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 01 29, 2011, 09:06: AM »

Thanks so much. Is there anywhere that can help me learn the pronunciation? (Also as an aside, where do I add a signature and picture? My profile doesn't seem to allow editing in those areas)

John
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #3 on: 01 29, 2011, 11:45: AM »

Thanks so much. Is there anywhere that can help me learn the pronunciation?
The sounds of Klingon is a good place to start.
I also recommend getting the tape "Conversational Klingon", available on iTunes.  I don't think "Power Klingon" is available yet, however.

You can also check out DaHjaj Hol, a podcast by Lawrence M. Schoen (founder of the Klingon Language Institute).
I recommend subscribing to this podcast on iTunes (by adding http://www.lawrencemschoen.com/category/podcasts/feed/ to your podcast subscriptions) or some RSS reader in order to keep track of which ones you've already listened to.

(Also as an aside, where do I add a signature and picture? My profile doesn't seem to allow editing in those areas)
You need to attain a certain rank (dictated by post count) to gain those permissions.  I believe it's 15 posts for a signature and 100 for an avatar.
johnwade
Newcomer

« Reply #4 on: 01 29, 2011, 02:24: PM »

How about - Empty Your Bowels - or something similar.
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #5 on: 01 31, 2011, 01:51: PM »

You can hear many of the Pet Commands from Power Klingon listed by tesseraktik here: http://hol.kag.org/media/audio/MO%20-%20Power%20Klingon/20%20Pet%20commands.mp3

johnwade
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: 01 31, 2011, 04:04: PM »

That was very interesting. There is no way however that basics commands on any planet would be as syllabic as many of those mentioned. While I loved the idea of Klingon commands for pet training the practical application isn't there. Someone should take another shot at Klingon pet training commands but work with a professional trainer, particularly someone with an interest in protection sports. The traditional Germanic is guttural and commands are very short - single words, with very few syllables usually.

QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #7 on: 03 02, 2011, 06:51: AM »

That was very interesting. There is no way however that basics commands on any planet would be as syllabic as many of those mentioned.
Many pet/commands in Power Klingon are actually monosyllabic:
ready, sit, stand, eat, attack,
so there should be no problem.

Instead of "Bite his/her/its leg off! " it would be sufficient to yell chop, bite!

Ofcourse  "Get off the transport control panel!"  is an added extra joke by the makers of Power Klingon. When I listened to Power Klingon with headphones on I started laughing out loud at this part, so my wife asked me what the joke was. I could not explain it to her.
qem! would be good enough to make your dog fetch something, instead of naDev Dochvetlh qem! Bring that here!

And the other monosyllabic suggestions by tessaraktik give you a monosyllabic dog training vocabulary of 9 or 10 commands already.
My guess is that in any Terran language you would have to use longer words if the commands themselves get more complicated, unless you invent a special ´dog commands monosyllabic language´.

QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #8 on: 03 02, 2011, 06:57: AM »

More possible monosyllabic dog commands in Klingon:

'el - enter, go in
chon hunt
lob obey
mej leave, depart
nej look for, seek, search for
puy wreck
QaQ be good
Qong - sleep
qet run
Suq get
tIv enjoy (dog cookies or a bone)
tlhutlh   drink
tu' find
tugh - hurry up

I would like to see a list of basic dog commands either in German or English in order to draw up the Klingon equivalent list.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #9 on: 10 23, 2014, 12:27: PM »

I'm fairly certain that the command to get off the transporter control panel is jol SeHlaw lItHa' (not lIghHa').
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: