Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 11:32: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  TOS Klingon Uniforms...Patterns?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TOS Klingon Uniforms...Patterns?  (Read 16328 times)
vegasklingon
One Post Wonder

« on: 06 01, 2010, 09:21: PM »

Hello...Does anyone know if there's a pattern available for TOS Klingon Uniform? I don't care about the sash (officers) but trying to make a basic solider uniform (such as the Klingon from "Friday's Child"). I can't find anything on the internet, except movie and TNG Klingons. Also, the Klingon in "Friday's Child" -- does anyone know about those pins he wore and where I can get them?

Thanks so much!

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 06 05, 2010, 04:06: AM »

Welcome to the Forums, vegasklingon!

I have been asked this question several times, and whenever I go searching I usually end up at q’IDar’s site. However, she does not feature TOS costumes. K’Put has an article on How to do a Costume Breakdown, using Mara’s uniform as an example. While she mentions VHS screencaps, you’d probably do better to get DVD caps (if your media system allows for it), or look for clear and detailed photos in books and Google Images.

With the exception of finding appropriate vest material, creating a male TOS-era uniform is relatively simple. I direct you to this thread on TOS uniforms and this section on pins, jewelry, and badges.

Memory Alpha has some clear shots of full-length TOS uniforms, and a few iffy close-ups of rank(?) pins (click on them to enlarge) which are never elaborated on. Given the rapid production schedule and low budget, I suspect they are random buttons out of a notions drawer reappropriated because someone liked the overall look and realized that since the Klingon heirarchy was established early in the episode [Kang, Mara, “the other guy” (misidentified as “First Officer” on the Memory Alpha uniform page), and a bunch of nameless stripedshirts who were probably appropriated from the extras pool of the Western being shot on the next soundstage over whose sole function was to serve as moving set pieces, hacking at Kirk’s crew and each other], that subtle differentiations of rank weren’t as important as getting the called-for number of costumes completed, filled with bodies, and shoved in front of a camera.

Having seen a pair of made-for-TV TOS uniform britches up close and personal last winter, I have a post-in-progress (one of too many) on the detailing and suggestions of how to keep it simple while doing the original costumers one better in the quality department. (I do not slight their talents, and fully realize that there is a huge difference in “good enough” between a brief mid-distance shot on the small screen made on a production schedule and seeing someone at arms length from all angles who has spent months or years on one outfit.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #2 on: 06 05, 2010, 06:49: PM »

The Klingon uniform is incredibly easy to make without a pattern, basically all you need is to make a longish waistcoat out of a canvasy type black fabric, and then sew strips of vinyl or leather onto it, folding them under to simulate the pleating.. make it slightly too big for you at this stage.  the top shoulder armour is made in a similar way, and is shaped something like a baby's bib.  Make the sleeves out of fur/fake fur and sew them onto the waistcoat (this is why it needs to be a bit big to start with as sewing the sleeves on seems to pull it outwards a bit.  Add the trim along the edges of the armour, it can be metal (which needs gluing or rivetting) or leather, or something similar which can be sewn.  If you would prefer the sleeves to be detachable, then sew them onto a black teeshirt instead.
the uniform can fasten at the front with either a zip (my preferred choice) or velcro.

You dont need an industrial sewing machine, but you will need to get a needle suitable for sewing leather (not expensive)#

Here is a pic of one I just finished so you can tell I know what I'm talking about... it took me about 4 days to make from start to finish.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=233455&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=613644860&id=100000529002673&ref=pf

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=4746385&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=613644860&id=655981050&ref=pf

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 06 07, 2010, 06:18: AM »

quoth Kehlan...  The Klingon uniform is incredibly easy to make without a pattern, basically all you need is to make a longish waistcoat out of a canvasy type black fabric, and then sew strips of vinyl or leather onto it, folding them under to simulate the pleating..

"Incredibly easy" lies in the eyes and hands of the beholder.  }}: /  The last time I tried to use a sewing machine with any power to it, I ended up in the ER/A&E unit of our regional hospital, arguing with a hand surgeon over how much of my right thumb I was going to get to keep. If anyone shows interest in the details of the story, I will tell them.  Opposable thumbs are a vital part of one's dueling kit, second only to adequate weapons.

There are several common varieties of Klingon uniform. vegasklingon specified TOS uniforms in both the initial post and the title of the thread, not the neoTrek battle grays you describe. Everyone, do read the entire thread you're responding to (per the Rules and Regs post) before you post your reply. It keeps posters from unnecessarily repeating material and helps keep threads on topic. Due to the peculiarities of the Forum software, a tangled thread can be very difficult to unknot.

(Kehlan, are you aware that the links you posted lead to the Facebook sign-in page and not to actual images? Links in these Forums are underlined in red.  With the current Facebook scandals and dishonorable behavior by Zuckerberg et al. over refusing to honor people's privacy settings, the procedure for direct links to different parts of that site seems to vary from one week to the next.  To anyone wishing to maintain an openly accessible online portfolio without going to the trouble of creating and maintaining a webpage, I suggest an account with a free hosting service such as Image Shack or Photobucket.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #4 on: 06 07, 2010, 09:53: AM »

Yintagh!  That'll teach me to read a thread properly, lol.  I didnt notice the TOS bit until too late.  Ive actually made the TOS dress that Mara wore and can't honestly see the mens varient being too difficult, its just a vest over a turtleneck top and trousers.  the trick I think is going to be in matching the fabrics..

anyway, Kesvirit, please feel free to delete or move my previous post since I obviously had tribbles infesting my brain when I wrote it.

I think I know what the facebook problem is, my privacy settings for the photo album is set to friends only, I'll try to change it and if not then will upload again to photobucket.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #5 on: 06 20, 2012, 01:25: AM »

I've made a male tos uniform, tunic at least.

Basically, I took some gold fabric and sewed a pullover vest ( think fleece pullover)with a wide cut neck line. I'm not sure exactly what type of fabric it is, but its rather rough to the touch and looks kind of striped (although not crisp lined stripes) it's definitely not fleece or any fuzzy fabric. So far i'm using a black turtle neck. I don't have the black/gold pants complete yet, but i do have a gold and black flecked cloth that i'm planning to use. I think it might be a medium to light drapery cloth. Possibly with the pattern (from the tos tech manual) for the starfleet pants. For now i just use any black pants. As for the pins that he wore in that ep. I went to my local hardware store and got some thin bronze plated metel strips, drew the pattern and cut it out using a craft saw. I then glued on a smallish pin back.

Its not yet a perfect match to what appears through the screen, but I feel it's close.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: