Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 09:01: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum News & Announcements
| | |-+  A Better Way to Search the Forums
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Better Way to Search the Forums  (Read 3817 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 05 12, 2010, 07:13: PM »

I’ve received several complaints about the inadequacy of the Forums’ search function. While I agree wholeheartedly, I haven’t been able to find a mod for a more efficient one on the SMF support boards, and cannot sling code well enough to write and implement one.

However, I have found a much better method than the one written into the Forums’ software. Some of you who are more computer-proficient than I (meaning most of you) may already know about it. Go to Google and enter site:klingon.org, then enter your search terms like you would for any other search. This will apply them specifically to the klingon.org domain. You may get some hits from the main klingon.org site (which are likely to be helpful in and of themselves), but because the Forums subdomain makes up most of the klingon.org site, most of your hits will be in the Forums. Click on the link to go to the thread with your search word(s) in it. This approach has worked on the fistful of sites I have tried it with.

I haven’t found a way to confine search hits to specific posts within those threads, but most browsers have a “find” or “search” option for the web page you are viewing. In Firefox and Safari, it is in the top control bar under Edit ---> Find. I don’t have regular access to other common browsers such as IE, Opera, Chrome, AOL, etc., so if the page find function works differently in other browsers, you have an opportunity to serve your fellow Klinfolk by posting the procedure for the benefit of others.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: