Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:14: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  The Reception Hall
| | |-+  Long Time, No Klin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Time, No Klin  (Read 2880 times)
kaHir SoHar
Novice

« on: 03 19, 2010, 09:38: PM »

It's been awhile since I've been active, mostly owing to the fact that I'm now living in Northern Wisconsin where there's not exactly a huge Klingon presence. In fact, I get looked at kinda funny around here when I pull my uniform out of mothballs, so it's probably for the best that it doesn't really fit now as well as it used to.

I'm kaHir zantai-SoHar - retired Ambassador and Captain, 1/2-Betazed ("Let me share your pain" being the family motto for the SoHars). Folks from the East Coast (CT, NY, PA, NJ, MD) will probably remember me best of all (from Mortas-te-kaase & KlinKon), if anyone does, though I was down in FL for about a year, hanging with folks from the IKV Shadowrunner.

I was searching around down memory lane online and your forum popped up, so I thought I'd send out a hail and see if anyone I know is still around.

Yeah, I know. All that doesn't sound particularly Klingon, now does it? Must be the Betazed in me.  Wink

kaHir zantai-SoHar
(a/k/a Michelle Brown - now "Bennett")
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 03 21, 2010, 11:36: PM »

I see nothing alien to the Klingon nature in wishing to reconnect with friends an allies.  I wish you luck in finding them.  It is good to seeother old-school Klingon fans returning to And my I congratulate you for finding and capturing your mate, who is no doubt a very fortunate person to be caught.  Is the one also a fan or Klingon?

We have several members from the Northeast, are there any other ships or clubs in particular you would like to shout out to?  You never know who may be searching.

I welcome you to the Klingon Imperial Forums.  If you have questions about these forums feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer.

Klythe zantai-vra'al
Forum Technical Administrator
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 03 22, 2010, 05:55: AM »

Wow, MtK & KlinKon, those are both names from the past. I got my start as a Karizan and I know we also put on a Klin Kon back in 1992. I remember somewhat of a battle over who owned such an obvious name. Such are the ups and downs of what I have come to call the NY fan wars.

Either way, it is good to see one from the past, although I can't say I remember you personally. I am no longer a Karizan but as I get older, I tend to look back on those days a little bit more fondly than I did when I first left.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
kaHir SoHar
Novice

« Reply #3 on: 03 23, 2010, 07:53: PM »

Fan wars is a great name for all the excitement that went on in those days! Some of it was so ridiculous, but very important to those involved for any number of reasons. I remember trying to act as go-between to work out some of the differences between the groups (hence becoming an ambassador years later), but some differences just can't be surmounted easily.

I remember Karizon. I'm so hopelessly awful with names, I can see all those folks in my mind, but can't think of half their names! LOL. Karizon splintered off from Krell (a/k/a Tom Scheuer) and Mtk around late-1990/early 1991 - they were in Middle Island, NY - 2 brothers (as I recall - owned a couple of wolf-hybrids, I think) and a couple of others who didn't like how Krell was running Mtk. KLAW was started by a guy who used to be friends with Krell not long after he started Mtk. The two had a falling out and KLAW was formed (roughly 1989) a little before I got involved with Mtk in 1990.

Our KlinKon (September 1991 - http://www.yuchtar.com/Convention/Thumb_klinkon.jpg) was the one with Vixis (Spice Williams) and Klaa (Todd Bryant) held down in Tyson's Corner, Virginia, Trek's 25th Anniversary weekend. Most of the stars were at the big Paramount party, but Spice and Todd decided to come to our Kon. It turned out to be more of a relax-a-kon, but everyone there had a blast. The old joke about "everybody's father died on Khitomer" started there.

In spite of all the typical Klingon head-butting, I really miss the old days.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 03 26, 2010, 08:24: PM »

It was KLAW that was formed by two brothers, one of hem was the CMO of MtK under Krell.

I have heard a bunch of stories about the founding of the Karizans, but I believe them to have been more of an off-shoot of the old KSF.

I always thought that the main rivalry between MtK & the Karizans was due to the fact that they were the big dogs in the region and both wanted to make that singular. Both had leaders with huge egos. I always wondered how different it would have been if KAG had ever held a strong foothold in the area.

qoSagh qlIStIy
kaHir SoHar
Novice

« Reply #5 on: 03 27, 2010, 01:52: AM »

Oops! Guess I got KLAW and Karizan backwards. Like I said, I'm bad with names. <shrug> Hopefully, nobody who remembers me will think unkindly of me for getting group names mixed up. No harm intended.

Now that I've got my groups straight again, the Karizan leader (with I could remember his name - all I really remember about him is that he was tall and solid - was it Peter....? I think that's right....) and Krell had a kind of silly argument revolving around who came up with an idea and who tried to take it over as their own. Neither one was willing to give an inch for the sake of what had once been a good friendship, hence the breakdown. Some KSF-types and pre-Karizans joined up together and formed Karizan from there, I believe. That's a combination of what I pieced together from personal observations and various conversations at the time, so I won't swear to the accuracy.

Any way you look at it - it was Klingon fan wars at their finest hour! Looking back, I really miss it.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 03 28, 2010, 03:33: PM »

Yeah Peter was his American name, although he also use a Greek version too. He was really on his way out of the club when I joined, although he came back briefly right before I left.

I am glad to see someone else who remembers the fan wars as kind of fun in a strange way. Every so often I meet someone who remembers the old days. I was at a Klingon banquet in Maryland once, and while talking with one fellow Klin mentioned my time as a Karizan, that was overheard by a former KLAW member from Long Island who I had never met but knew his of his name. I suspect there are more of us lurking out there in cyber-Klindom than we know.

qoSagh qlIStIy
kaHir SoHar
Novice

« Reply #7 on: 04 02, 2010, 02:57: PM »

You're probably right. Hopefully, I'll find more of them as time goes by. 
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 04 04, 2010, 05:41: AM »

Interestingly enough I just found another old timer on [another Klingon site], he was former Karizan and MtK, and is now part of ROFF.

qoSagh qlIStIy
kaHir SoHar
Novice

« Reply #9 on: 04 14, 2010, 04:45: AM »

That's a funny coincidence. I just "met" someone who's face I remember (tho not his name) who was just telling me about ROFF. It's nice to know that fandom is an awfully small world!
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 04 14, 2010, 05:04: PM »

I also just reconnected via e-mail with Lord Admiral Khorgas of KLAW, who founded the group in NY all those years ago. I believe he was formerly the CMO of MtK.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: