Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 25, 2014, 01:57: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11641 Posts in 1600 Topics by 664 Members
Latest Member: johnclo
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Site for Klingon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Site for Klingon  (Read 4404 times)
Pok
Scribe

« on: 03 14, 2010, 04:14: PM »

Does anyone know what the BEST site to help me start learning Klingon?
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #1 on: 03 16, 2010, 08:05: AM »

Hi Pok,

To start learning Klingon you first need a copy of The Klingon Dictionary

There are several websites about Klingon, but many are not updated at all.  And then there is one site that contains incorrect information.

www.kli.org is not kept up to date, but is the home of the Klingonists.

http://klingonska.org/  is not updated but is reliable and contains a Picad machine to convert Klingon text written in our alphabet into Picad, the Klingon alphabet.

http://teresh.tdonnelly.org/index.html is the best Klingon website because it includes lots of explanations on grammar and other stuff and there are movies in Klingon made with Lego and graphics.

The best place to practice written Klingon is this forum.
You learn some Klingon out of the Dictionary, then try to express your thoughts on this forum
and we will show you the Klingon Way, or several ways sometimes.  Smiley
Pok
Scribe

« Reply #2 on: 03 16, 2010, 08:17: PM »

QA TLHO'!!!!!
This will help me!!!!!!!!!!
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #3 on: 03 17, 2010, 06:41: AM »

You should say/write:

qatlho'

UPPERCASE and lowercase matters a lot in writing Klingon. It just so happens that there is no uppercase character in qatlho'

And also qa- is a prefix to tlho' and should be fixed, no space in between.
qa-     I -you
tlho'   thank
Pok
Scribe

« Reply #4 on: 03 22, 2010, 04:04: PM »

It's all a prosses of learning!
But glad you told me, now I know how to spell it right! Wink

qatlho'

Pok
Scribe

« Reply #5 on: 03 23, 2010, 03:37: PM »

In Klingon sentences, if there is a word that would normally start with a lowercase letter, would it still be lowercased if it is the first word in a sentence, or does it become uppercased?
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #6 on: 03 23, 2010, 04:40: PM »

In Klingon sentences, if there is a word that would normally start with a lowercase letter, would it still be lowercased if it is the first word in a sentence, or does it become uppercased?
Still lower-case; it's just a transliteration (seen "in-universe"), and we don't know of any Klingon writing systems that has two versions of each phoneme the way we have capital and lower-case letters.
Initially, I believe the letters and letter combinations were chosen so that the actors would be able to tell how their lines were supposed to be pronounced from reading the text.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #7 on: 04 17, 2010, 11:44: PM »

Pok (and other aspiring students of {ta’ Hol}1

I don’t think there is a *best* site for learning thlIngan Hol; the two main factors are most likely to be
1. Is the site active enough that you can find someone home to answer your questions? and,
2. Which site meshes best with your own individual learning style?

I recommend you at least visit *all* the sites listed in the thlIngan Hol resources outside the KLI thread. Though the approach of each site will be different, the materials presented should largely be the same and reinforce one another in content.

Though I can hear sphincters slamming shut like bulkheads during a fire on a merchant vessel, I don’t think you should worry too much about the degree of canon while learning the basics.2 Given two different answers for the same question will force you to rely on your own reasoning in formulating your own perspective as to which is best explained, and give you more of a context in which to remember what you are trying to learn. Such reasoning will force you to better analyze the material, and not just buckle under to whoever yells “because Marc says so” the loudest. Word warfare can escalate to great heights over relatively minor matters. Learning how different people present the material will give you a wider pool of tactics and weapons from which to draw as you advance in your studies and come into conflict with more established Klingonists. (And you will come into conflict with more established Klingonists. And more likely sooner than later, for Klingons of all ilk and interests tend to be a contentious lot.... }}; )

Wishing you Qapla’3 in your undertaking,
-=- Kesvirit

1 "the standard dialect”
2  “And I am unanimous in that.” - Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Jennifer Rachel Abergavenny Yiddell Slocombe (R.I.P., Mollie Sugden)
3 Success

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: