Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 17, 2018, 11:52: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  How to use a Bat'leth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to use a Bat'leth  (Read 24935 times)
Pok
Scribe

« on: 03 14, 2010, 09:01: PM »

I bought a bat'leth replica online. Does anyone now how to properly use a bat'leth?
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 03 15, 2010, 09:40: PM »

In character, the batletlh is a difficult weapon to wield, which is why it is called an honor sword.   Only very highly skilled warriors would use such a weapon.  In my House those who can use a Batletlh only use them in ceremonies, rituals and duels to settle matters of honor between intractable foes.  All other serious fighting is done with more practical weapons, such as the meqletlh or the Daqtagh, disruptors or failing all of the above, claws and teeth.

Out of Character, I have to ask, what the heck did you think you *could* use it for?  You do not live in an age when wars are fought with swords.  You like in an age when you are rather unlikely to personally have need to use any weapon.   If you were trained to fight with swords you'd realize how awkward the blade is, and how easy it would be to over-swing and hurt someone accidentally, including yourself.

How to use it?  First I'll tell you how not to use it.  Do not use it to rob a convenience store, it is not only honorless, but excessively stupid.  Don't use it to rob anything.  Don't threaten anyone with it.  Don't swing it in the same room as anyone you don't want to get hurt (I'm assuming you'd put yourself in this group, and would never swing it at all).  Don't even carry it unless you have enough control of the area 3 meters around you, in case you might be jostled.

So how to use it?  Be proud, show it off to responsible fans after explaining that no, they can't swing it or anything stupid.  Make other fans jealous, but you don't want anyone hurting themselves or other people, especially if it's remotely sharp.  Place it in a locked glass display case or mount it secure to the wall in a room no children have access to, and only if you live in a geologically stable region.  The last thing you need in an  earthquake is to be impaled by an elegant looking but practically unusable weapon.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 03 19, 2010, 09:16: PM »

The uses of this weapon are limited, however I must point out that there is not a single known case of an Honor Sword being used in a robbery. That case in Colorado and the confiscation in England, both show fantasy weapons that have never been seen in Klingon hands much less in any incarnation of Trek.

As for not living in an age where one might need to use a weapon, there are numerous instances of weapons being used with positive outcomes for the potential victims. While there are also incidents that end negatively, the fact remains that the events occurred.

Now as for fandom, there was a book that is now traded secretly via eBay and other sites that covered the martial arts involved in using such a weapon. I have a copy from years ago, but I think they can still be found.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pok
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 03 22, 2010, 09:18: PM »

I would never use it to rob and/or steal stuff, I just bought it for the looks and just thought it would be nice to have some tips on how to use. You know, I might want to show it off to my friends.
QDroS
Novice

« Reply #4 on: 03 24, 2010, 02:41: PM »

The weapon can be used quite gracefully if not treated as a sword.  I've now had three different fight choreographers for "A Klingon Christmas Carol", and while the latter two did reference the book, they also hybridized with their own stage fighting knowledge.  If you want to learn more about fighting styles that would apply to the weapon, consider taking a Quarter Staff class from a Stage Combat expert.  In many cases, a batleth functions as a staff with sharp parts.  Also, look into traditional Scottish fighting styles, and others that focus on Momentum weapons.  When it comes down to it, the only real way to use the weapon effectively is to keep it moving.  Using single thrusts, etc, as you would a sword provides too many pivot points and too few ways to block.  That leads to abbreviated fights.  Since longer fights are more desirable on the stage, we've spent a lot of time breaking it all down.

Anyway... I would seriously look into who in your area teaches Stage Combat (make sure that it is a certified combatant/instructor that you're dealing with), and take a Quarter Staff class.  After that, you'll have a good start toward some impressive, yet not truly deadly, battle scenes.
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #5 on: 06 02, 2010, 06:21: AM »

Occasionally one finds a copy of HetaQ's Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race (Volume I - betleH yIqel) listed on eBay. This instructional book does an amazing job of showing a credible set of techniques for using the betleH. It's a real shame the publisher was compelled by Viacom's legal staff to destroy all unsold copies shortly after it was printed.
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #6 on: 06 15, 2010, 01:54: PM »

Occasionally one finds a copy of HetaQ's Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race (Volume I - betleH yIqel) listed on eBay. This instructional book does an amazing job of showing a credible set of techniques for using the betleH. It's a real shame the publisher was compelled by Viacom's legal staff to destroy all unsold copies shortly after it was printed.

I have to second Qunchuy's recommendation. I have two copies of this book and if you want to learn how to use a betleH, it's the book to have. You can find it on Ebay from time to time and occasionally it shows up second hand on Amazon.

Rumor has it that the remaining books were not "destroyed" per se, but had already "left" the publishers and were reported destroyed. Several people had received these "destroyed" books and are slowly selling off the stock. I don't know if this is true or not, but several people from different parts of Klingon fandom have told me similar things. Some of them were directly involved in the process of creating this work.

ZerBoth
Novice

« Reply #7 on: 04 01, 2013, 08:39: AM »

Hello Qurgh,

I am still looking for volume 2, 3 and 4 of Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race... According to volume 1 last page they had a ISBN code each one.

No luck in contacting HetaQ, I am available also to receive news from him through private message.

Thanks!  Wink
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 04 01, 2013, 05:42: PM »

I would be willing to bet that the later volumes were never published due to the legal troubles with the first volume. While they may exist in draft form they probably only reside with the author. I bet the publisher got rid of all of theirs. Now since there were ISBN numbers issued, there is the possibility that the works were already copyrighted, which means the Library of Congress would have copies if that was done in the US, although for some reason I thought the book might be Canadian.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
ZerBoth
Novice

« Reply #9 on: 04 05, 2013, 09:04: AM »

Thanks qoSagh!

Here the link for the Library of Congress,
http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=1&ti=1,1&hd=0,0&SEQ=20130405045908&Search%5FArg=DogwI%27%2C%20HetaQ%2E&Search%5FCode=NAME%5F&CNT=25&PID=pidMfsrH6PyJeA0EiBkrS-tQ43&SID=1 

just one copy...

How to find out something in Canada?

Very interesting your website, I am also a musician... do you have scores, midi or MP3 of the songs?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
TroGok
Scribe

Today is not a good day to die

« Reply #10 on: 04 15, 2013, 11:18: PM »

i watched the episode where worf showed riker and troi to use it.
btw i only think its troi correct me if im wrong
Qap'la- Tro'Gok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: