Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 19, 2018, 01:45: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Music and Lyrics
| | | |-+  "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"  (Read 4489 times)
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« on: 02 22, 2010, 02:09: PM »

We had a nice little blizzard here in Stockholm, yesterday, and a lot of people were reluctant to go outside...  ...particularly as the public transit system didn't cope very well at all, meaning a lot of walking or standing out in the cold waiting for the bus if you wanted to get anywhere!
I, on the other hand, rather like taking walks when it's cold out...  ...and if I remember my Voyager correctly, that's a bit of Klingon trait (whereas Cardassians like it hot).  So, I threw together this little diddy:

(Melody:  "Let it snow!  Let it snow!  Let it snow!" [Sinatra version on Spotify])

HurDaq muD Dotlhmo' Human tulu'be'.
qoDDaq tlhInganpu' belHa'moH tuj'e'.
bIrtaHvIS maleng 'e' wItIv, vaj
peDtaHjaj, peDtaHjaj, peDtaHjaj!

Outside, because of the weaher there is no Human.
Inside, the heat is unpleasant to Klingons.
We enjoy roaming when it is cold, so
may it continue to snow, may it continue to snow, may it continue to snow!

...and here it a recording of me singing it in my extremely warrior-like singing voice Wink
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #1 on: 09 15, 2010, 02:16: AM »

I like the writing, but from what I understand, Klingons actually dislike the cold. I am confused.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #2 on: 09 15, 2010, 07:25: PM »

I like the writing, but from what I understand, Klingons actually dislike the cold. I am confused.
Oops, it would seem you're right; I was under the impression that Cardassians like it warmer than Humans do, and that Klingons prefer the cold.  However, it seems I was wrong:

B'Elanna Torres:
  Shows how much you know about Klingons. They have much less tolerance for the cold than Humans do.
Tom Paris:  Really? I thought that was Cardassians.
B'Elanna Torres:
  No, they just complain about it more."
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 09 15, 2010, 07:33: PM »

Yeah, and Worf had to grow up in Russia! But I'm sure there are a few exceptions. Klingons that happen to grow up in a cold climate might adapt to it like the Inuits have. That would evoke the "viking barbarian from the frosty mountain" image that so many love.
 cool

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #4 on: 09 16, 2010, 01:08: AM »

Yeah, and Worf had to grow up in Russia! But I'm sure there are a few exceptions. Klingons that happen to grow up in a cold climate might adapt to it like the Inuits have. That would evoke the "viking barbarian from the frosty mountain" image that so many love.
 cool
Hehe, true, there's more than species to be considered; being a Swede who works a lot with international students, I find it interesting to see which ones need to wear multiple layers when it's 10 degrees Celsius out and which ones think Swedes are sissies for finding 20 below zero "cold" Wink

Anyhow, one might perhaps go with something like bIrtaHghach wISIQ 'e' wItIv, or "We enjoy enduring the cold.", making the sentence more about Klingons' pride in their own fortitude than their climactic preferences.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #5 on: 09 16, 2010, 02:01: AM »

Hehe, true, there's more than species to be considered; being a Swede who works a lot with international students, I find it interesting to see which ones need to wear multiple layers when it's 10 degrees Celsius out and which ones think Swedes are sissies for finding 20 below zero "cold" Wink
That is pretty funny. Where I live, we close all schools if it snows AT ALL. Not that we get much snow anymore. Sad
Our president is from Chicago, and he expressed surprise upon being informed that many areas have this policy. In Chicago, apparently, they have never closed school due to weather for ten years.
I personally prefer cold, but NO ONE knows cold like Oymyakon, Siberia.
http://www.cracked.com/article/184_the-6-best-towns-to-live-in-if-you-have-death-wish/
ghuy'cha' (to board administrators: I can translate that if you want me to, but I wouldn't recommend it  Cheesy)

Anyhow, one might perhaps go with something like bIrtaHghach wISIQ 'e' wItIv, or "We enjoy enduring the cold.", making the sentence more about Klingons' pride in their own fortitude than their climactic preferences.

That sounds VERY Klingon, since complaining about physical discomfort is disdainful, but enduring and overcoming it is desirable and admirable. Smiley

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: