Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:33: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum Feedback
| | |-+  nuqneH
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nuqneH  (Read 8716 times)
Ax Slinger
Newcomer

« on: 01 01, 2004, 08:30: AM »

Hello,

Y'all don't know me, I just found your forum by accident when I was looking for how to say Happy New Year in Klingon. I never found it either, but that's another story.

Anyway, I noticed your forum buttons don't match your board. (You obviously know phpBB stinks, as you don't use it...) So since I was just sitting here doing nothing, I decided to make you some. I made them out of your forum logo, and put a black border on them. I also made a new logo for you as well.

Now you may not want to use them, and you should not feel obligated to do so. I was just bored and since this is something I do a lot, making them did not take long. The reason you may not want to use them, or maybe the reason you would, is because all the buttons are made with the Klinzhai Font. I also had to shorten some of the words to make them fit. So I made a key for you to show you what's what.

But it would appear you have images turned off, so I guess the best thing to do is just say download the file and have a look. If you like them, they're all yours. There are also blanks for the two button sizes, the key, and the logo with the words "Klingon Imperial Forums" in Klinzhai in the zip, which I scanned with AVG anti-virus prior to uploading.

So here you go. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Klinzhai Buttons

And if you should ever need help with a computer problem, stop by PC Pitstop. We might be able to help ya.  <--- Shameless plug... Tongue  

Ax Slinger
PC Pitstop Forums Admin
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 01 03, 2004, 09:38: PM »

Hello,
Y'all don't know me,
Hey howdy! }}: P

I just found your forum by accident
How did you find us?

I was looking for how to say Happy New Year in Klingon. I never found it either, but that's another story.
You can post that question in the Request for Translations section. We have a few accomplished tlhIngan Hol speakers amongst our ranks who include the Forums on their web routes. Responses are rarely immediate, but at least you will be well-armed for next New Year's.

(You obviously know phpBB stinks, as you don't use it...)
The earlier incarnation of the Forums ran off an XMB system. It was, not to put to fine a line on it, a mess.

Anyway, I noticed your forum buttons don't match your board.
Neither of our Administrators is a programmer or engineer by trade, nor do they design skins. Overlaying the current skin was quite a challenge. Lady K'Zin has had some recent successes with customization with some seat-of-the-pants hacks. As with the threads within them, the look and features of the Forums are works in progress.

So since I was just sitting here doing nothing, I decided to make you some. I made them out of your forum logo, and put a black border on them. I also made a new logo for you as well.
I have downloaded them for viewing. Most impressive!

As much as I enjoy the idea of using buttons with the Klinzhai font, doing so may make things more complicated than they need to be, especially for our younger and less experienced members. Most posters do not share your level of knowledge and we are trying to keep things simple and accessable. But I would very much like to label the blank buttons and lay them over the existing ones. I don't know how much of an undertaking this would be, but I will discuss it with Lady K'Zin.

If you like them, they're all yours.
Our thanks to you. That is most generous. }}:-)

And if you should ever need help with a computer problem, stop by PC Pitstop. We might be able to help ya. <--- Shameless plug... :P
I did not recognize much of what I saw there, but will add it to my "potential resources" list.

(To return your shameless plug: There is also a section of the Boards' Webmasters Guild where you may Introduce Your Website.)

Y'all come back now, y'hear? }};-)

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 01 03, 2004, 09:40: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 01 03, 2004, 09:44: PM »

Whoops, looks like she beat me to it.

Wow, you sure went to a lot of effort!   These buttons look great, but as she said very few people are actually able to recognise the letters without having to look things up.

Thanks for the thought though.  Feel free to check out the Programmer's guild forum, where all of us Klingon techy geeks hang out.
« Last Edit: 01 03, 2004, 09:51: PM by Klythe » Logged
Ax Slinger
Newcomer

« Reply #3 on: 01 06, 2004, 02:36: PM »

It actually took longer to find the font than it did to make the images. I think it took me about an hour to make them. But I just did it because they look cool to me. And I must admit, I wouldn't know what they said either, if I didn't make them myself. (With a translation key.) And the way I made them, using English words with Klingon "letters", I probably massacred the language anyway...  Tongue

But that is why I kept the blank buttons too. So if you have a particular font in mind for English text, I will gladly make you some you can actually use. All of the images are named the same as standard IPB buttons, so all you would have to do is upload them to the style_images folder of your forum and they would show up in all the correct places. So if you would like me to do that, send me a PM, and your forum will send me email to tell me it's here, and I will come read it as soon as I see the notice in my email. My response may not be immediate either, but I will show up eventually. And I like doing things for people. Specially when it gets a response like you two wrote. That makes a little effort worth a lot. Besides, you know how us "forum tweakers" are. An unmodified forum is like an unpainted canvas. We must paint it!
« Last Edit: 01 06, 2004, 02:40: PM by Ax Slinger » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 01 07, 2004, 04:29: PM »

And the way I made them, using English words with Klingon "letters", I probably massacred the language anyway... Tongue
That's nothing. You should see some of my mess-terpieces over in the Requests for Translation section... }}%^P

Besides, you know how us "forum tweakers" are. An unmodified forum is like an unpainted canvas. We must paint it!
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, it is all I can do to paint the walls of my bedchamber. Forums are far, far beyond me. Having experimented with the blank buttons I'm sure your Macromedia Fontographer can run rings around anything I can produce with my sad little paint program. Lady K'Zin handles most of the technical aspects of the Forums, and I have alerted her to your most kind offer. You should be hearing back from one of us soon.

It actually took longer to find the font than it did to make the images.
Since you have interest in and talent for this sort of thing, I recommend you visit Lord Kyl's Fonts page. It contains an extensive selection of skiffy and historical fonts, clip art and the like, free for the downloading (Windows only).

Happy painting!

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Ax Slinger
Newcomer

« Reply #5 on: 01 20, 2004, 09:39: AM »

Interesting site there... I've been to a few of the links on there, and downloaded many fonts from them. But some were new to me.

Macromedia Fontographer is just a program to make fonts. Then once you have a font, you add it to your Windows Fonts Lybrary, and you can use it in word processors, photo editors, or any other program that uses fonts. I personally use Paint Shop Pro 5 for most image editing, but I do use PhotoShop 6 for making 3d text for things like forum logos, etc. I don't use it for much else, well... Because that's about all I know how to do with it.  Tongue

I've used PSP for about 8 years now, but PS is a new thing for me. PSP is rather limited in the 3D text department, so a friend showed me how to make 3D text in PS, and that's about as far as I have got with it. Maybe someday I will work on learning more about it...  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: