Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 21, 2014, 10:08: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11684 Posts in 1610 Topics by 672 Members
Latest Member: SermanyuQngan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Klingon wedding speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon wedding speech  (Read 21561 times)
ClariceB
One Post Wonder

« on: 01 04, 2010, 03:57: PM »

Hi everyone!

My sister asked me to give her a short speech in Klingon at her wedding, but I know absolutely nothing about the language. From what I have read so far, Klingon's aren't the people to say very flowery things like you'd usually find in such speeches, though, so I suppose I'm hoping for a pretty thorough translation.

Basically; what would a Klingon say where a human would say this:
"We are very happy to be at your wedding. This wedding is a beautiful proof of your love. May your lives together be long and happy, and may you always find your best friends in one another." ?

I am very willing for the words to be changed, as long as the meaning translates a bit. I saw a toast somewhere (possibly here) that mentioned blood and screams. I wouldn't have problems with such bits at all. Actually, I'd like to add a toast as well, so if anyone knows what it is, please do let me know Smiley

And if someone really does find time to help me, I'd be extremely grateful for some pronunciation tips as well. Thank you in advance, I hope it's not a lot of trouble.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 01 05, 2010, 06:20: AM »

The toast you're thinking of is 'IwlIj jachjaj, meaning "May your blood scream".  It would be jachjaj 'IwlIj in normal Klingon grammar, but toast grammar is different [and to my knowledge not fully understood by Human Klingonists].

Now, as for the translation, I'll give it a shot, although because I am not the most experienced Klingonist in the world, I wouldn't recommend taking my word alone for it.
Also, some of the expressions are difficult to translate, so I'll reword things a bit, and see if I can breathe some Klingon culture into it:

tlhoghtayraj wIlopmo' maQuchqu'. tIqDu'raj bo'angchu', 'ej nItebHa' meQbejtaH 'e' wIleghchu'. nI'jaj yInraj 'ej SuQuchtaHjaj SuQutlhchuqtaHjaj SuHo'chuqtaHjaj je.
{ Because we celebrate your marriage ceremony we are very happy.  You show your hearts perfectly, and we can see clearly that they burn together.  May your life be long and may you go on being happy and also may you continue to support each other and also may your continue to admire each other. }

Broken down:

tlhoghtayraj
tlhogh - marriage
tay - ceremony
-raj - your (plural)
the marriage ceremony that is both of yours

wIlopmo'
wI - the subject of this predicate is in the plural first person ("we"); the object of this verb is in the singular first person ("he/she/it")
lop - to celebrate
-mo' - because
because we celebrate it

maQuchqu'
ma- - the subject of this predicate is in the plural first person ("we"); there is no object
Quch - to be happy
-qu' - emphatic suffix
we are VERY happy

tlhoghtayraj wIlopmo' maQuchqu'. - Because we celebrate your marriage ceremony we are very happy.

tIqDu'raj
tIq - heart
-Du' - plural (specifically, this suffix is used to pluralize body parts)
-raj - plural
your hearts

bo'angchu'
bo- - the subject of this predicate is in the plural second person ("both of you"); the object of this predicate is in the third person ("hi/her/it/them")
'ang - to show
-chu' - clearly, perfectly
you show them perfectly

'ej - and (joining sentences)

nItebHa' - adverb meaning "together" (or, more literally, "un-alone"; nIteb is "alone", -Ha' makes it the opposite)

meQbejtaH
meQ - he/she/it/they burn(s)
-bej - definitely
-taH - the process is ongoing (but not proceeding towards any known goal)
they are certainly burning

'e' - "that"; used to form compound sentences (as in the sentence "I see that it is so")

wIleghchu'
wI- - the subject of this predicate is in the plural first person ("we"); the object of this verb is in the singular first person ("he/she/it")
legh - to see
-chu' - clearly, perfectly
we see it clearly

tIqDu'raj bo'angchu', 'ej nItebHa' meQbejtaH 'e' wIleghchu'. - You show your hearts perfectly, and we can clearly see that they burn together.
In Klingon tradition, much as in Human tradition, the heart stands for one's spirit.
It is also a symbol of love, and appears in a story that has been told at Klingon weddings.  First it tells of how the gods forged the Klingon heart with fire and steel, and its beat was very powerful.  However, as time went it weakened, and the gods asked the Klingon why this was so, when it was the strongest in all of creation.  To this, the Klingon heart did answer "I am alone".  And so, the gods forged a second heart, and it beat stronger than the first, and the first was jealous of its power.  However, the second heart was wise, and it said that they should join together, so that none could stand against them. "And when the two hearts began to beat together, they filled the heavens with a terrible sound. For the first time, the gods knew fear. They tried to flee, but it was too late. The Klingon hearts destroyed the gods who created them and turned the heavens to ashes. To this very day, no one can oppose the beating of two Klingon hearts."
This is what I'm hinting at with the phrase "they burn together".  I'd've liked to write "they beat together", but I do not know how Klingons express the idea of a heartbeat.  Perhaps somebody else here knows.
Another alternative might be 'ej Qunpu' qaD 'e' wIleghchu' ("and we can clearly see that they certainly challenge the gods"), although I'm uncertain as to whether or not I've correctly interpreted the word qaD, here.

nI'jaj
nI' - he/she/it/they is/are long
-jaj - "may"
may it be long

yInraj
yIn - life
-raj - your (plural)
the life that is both of yours
Saying "your life together" is not entirely easy in Klingon.  Here, I use a plural possessive, but not a plural noun, to indicate that this life is shared.  This is not unambiguous, as number suffixes may be left out when the number is clear from context.  However, I feel that the context here suggests quite strongly a shared life.

'ej - and (joining sentences)

SuQuchtaHjaj
Su- - the subject of this predicate is in the plural second person ("both of you"); there is no object
Quch - to be happy
-jaj - "may"
may you both go on being happy

SuQutlhchuqtaHjaj
Su- - the subject of this predicate is in the plural second person ("both of you"); there is no object
Qutlh - to help, to support
-chuq - each other
-jaj - "may"
may you go on supporting each other

SuHo'chuqtaHjaj
Ho' - to armire
-chuq - each other
-jaj - "may"
may you go on admiring each other

je - also

nI'jaj yInraj 'ej SuQuchtaHjaj SuQutlhchuqtaHjaj SuHo'chuqtaHjaj je. - May your shared life be long and also may you both go on being happy and may you go on supporting each other and may you go on admiring each other.
I couldn't think of a good way to translate the concept of finding one's best friend in someone (and making it to people finding their respective best friends in each other made it even more difficult), so i figured instead I'd try throwing in two things that both best friends and lovers should share:  Support and admiration.
This could possibly also be translated as nI'jaj Quchjaj je yInraj 'ej SuQutlhchuqtaHjaj SuHo'chuqtaHjaj je. ("May your shared life be long and may it also be happy, and may you go on supporting and also admiring each other."), although I'm not sure if Klingons think lives can be happy, or that only the people living them can be happy.

I shall await the grammarian's discommendation before giving you any tips on pronunciation, but once a translation has been accepted I could make an audio recording for you (my pronunciation is not the best, but it should be of some help).  Also, if you want to get a feel for the language, so that you can "believe it" as you speak it, I recommend getting the audio course "Conversational Klingon" on iTunes (it's not free, but it is awesome).
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #2 on: 01 08, 2010, 10:30: AM »

As nobody has pointed out any errors in my translation, and as I'm sure there won't be a lot of people at that wedding with the Klingon language skills to find any such errors, I figured I'd record a reading of this speech.  Now, as I've pointed out, my Klingon pronunciation is far from perfect (I think I got about as many syllables wrong as I got right), and it's been a while since I spoke any Klingon, but it should give you some hint as to what it's supposed to sound like:  Link

Now, after listening to that, I'm guessing you're wondering how you're ever gonna pull this off.  Heck, it was hard for me, even after three years of Klingon studies!
My advice, therefore, is not to worry too much:  You'll be among friends, and I'm sure most of them will be Terrans.  Just try it out for yourself a few times, and then go out there and give it your best shot.  Focus more on delivering the lines with confidence, rather than on phonology; as Robert O'Reilly used to tell Klingon extras who asked him for advice on how to do their Klingon lines:  "Just do it with belief. Go all the way!"
Oh, and if anybody should actually complain about your pronunciation, just tell them you were doing the lines in a minority dialect that's spoken in some of the Northern settlements on Qu'Vat Wink
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #3 on: 01 08, 2010, 08:33: PM »

Impressive indeed! majQa'!

I really enjoyed the recording...very well spoken...not being a Klingon linguist I am easily impressed... Wink

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #4 on: 01 09, 2010, 05:13: AM »

Impressive indeed! majQa'!

I really enjoyed the recording...very well spoken...not being a Klingon linguist I am easily impressed... Wink
Klingon linguist or not, choquvmoHmo' qatlho' { I am grateful towards you because you honor me }.
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #5 on: 01 22, 2010, 07:45: AM »

That sounds awesome Fraek! And of course the speech itself is some piece of work.
We need more of these: longer texts with clear sound files.
It reminds me again why I became interested in the Klingon language, it sounds great!
(To make it more Klingon the friend of the couple could wish them to conquer many enemies and enjoy lots of chechtlhutlh and fresh sabre bear at the party)
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #6 on: 01 22, 2010, 10:09: AM »

Thanks, mate; glad to hear you enjoyed it!
W1k1n6
Newcomer

« Reply #7 on: 06 11, 2010, 03:22: AM »

Thanks to Fraek I used this speech on my daughters wedding ceremony. Quapla'  Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCekThnOyI&feature=player_embedded
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #8 on: 06 11, 2010, 07:03: AM »

Thanks to Fraek I used this speech on my daughters wedding ceremony. Quapla'  Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCekThnOyI&feature=player_embedded

Awesome; that really made my day Cheesy

My congratulations go out to your daughter...  ...and to you, for your impressive show of Klin!
W1k1n6
Newcomer

« Reply #9 on: 06 23, 2010, 09:46: AM »

BTW, this wedding was in Berlin, Germany. We are Croats, and her husband family are Germans. After my klingon speech, his father asked me seriously: "Was that some Croatian dialect?" Smiley

QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #10 on: 07 29, 2010, 08:40: AM »

Great clip with great Klingon text, spoken with the right Klingon attitude!
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #11 on: 03 07, 2011, 02:57: PM »

Since translating this wedding speech I've learned two things:
  • The word Qutlh only refers to physically supporting something.
  • The word meQ (burn) is transitive; meQbejtaH tIqDu'raj means "Your hearts burn some other things", rather than "Your hearts are burning".
    - Update: Further digging in the canon archives has shown meQ to be a very multi-faceted verb, and it actually seems that meQbejtaH tIqDu'raj can mean what it was intended to mean. Whee!
...but since it's a wedding speech, perhaps we can bass it off as no' Hol {ancestors' language} Wink

Just now I was listening to a segment about Klingon and Na'vi on Boise State Public Radio, and I was surprised - pleasantly so - to discover that this performance was featured.
« Last Edit: 03 16, 2011, 04:47: PM by tesseraktik » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: