Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 19, 2018, 01:46: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Art and Artwork
| | | |-+  My latest Klingon movie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My latest Klingon movie  (Read 5814 times)
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« on: 09 04, 2009, 10:27: PM »

I have just posted my latest Klingon movie, lurDech (Tradition), combining my 3 great loves of Klingon, Legos and musical theater.  You can find it along with some other information at my website http://teresh.tdonnelly.org/klinfilm.html, at the bottom of the page, or on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPzMP4MK2hY.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 09 10, 2009, 10:58: PM »

Very well done.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #2 on: 10 14, 2009, 03:35: PM »

Great work, ter'eS !

Did you make the Lego figurines with the skirts yourself? As far as I know they always have two legs and there is only one size, no short kids. And I guess you painted them too.
The beginning of the movie with the fiddler on the roof in the spotlight is a great start already.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #3 on: 10 16, 2009, 05:53: PM »

Great work, ter'eS !

Did you make the Lego figurines with the skirts yourself? As far as I know they always have two legs and there is only one size, no short kids. And I guess you painted them too.
The beginning of the movie with the fiddler on the roof in the spotlight is a great start already.

No, actually every one of them are either standard Lego minifigs or made with standard parts (except for the tassels, which are made from embroidery floss).  The female's "skirts" are just standard 1x2 bricks; the taller women also have a 1x2 plate, while the shorter ones have just the brick.  Their blouses are just standard upper torsos. For feet, the women all use 1x1 studs in various shades of black and grey.

Some of the fun of showing this to people who know their Legos is their surprise in how I've used pieces from other sets to make a collection of "Russian Jews" costumes.  Several of the men's tunics come from Star Wars sets, for example. But I don't even remember the original use of lots of the parts, since I just buy them based on the look I'm going for.

QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #4 on: 10 19, 2009, 10:42: AM »

As far as I know Lego only has Star Wars stuff, no Star Trek. But indeed, there is enough material to create almost anything, anything except the Klingon foreheads.

This weekend I showed my children your other movies: What trouble with tribbles and P.S.A. And although it is just Lego my daughter was actually shocked that the chemvaH (in P.S.A) was killed and eaten, it is that realistic for children (4 and 6)! My son explained to her that it was a really mean animal so she did not have to feel sad about it!

The expression wovmoHwI' chu' - lights on is interesting linguistically: more literally it would be: lightmakers ready! I did not notice it the first time I studied your movie texts.

One more question: is the blue Bird of Prey, Cold Revenge,  made of Lego or is it rendered by computer graphics? My son wants to build it but I don't think we have the right parts.

ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #5 on: 10 19, 2009, 02:31: PM »

As far as I know Lego only has Star Wars stuff, no Star Trek. But indeed, there is enough material to create almost anything, anything except the Klingon foreheads.

Well, yeah, I did have to paint the tunics for the Klingon warriors' and some of the Federation uniforms, since Lego doesn't make any in those exact colors. I was referring specifically to lurDech when I said they were all standard parts.

This weekend I showed my children your other movies: What trouble with tribbles and P.S.A. And although it is just Lego my daughter was actually shocked that the chemvaH (in P.S.A) was killed and eaten, it is that realistic for children (4 and 6)! My son explained to her that it was a really mean animal so she did not have to feel sad about it!

Wow, it never occurred to me that children might see these and be upset!

The expression wovmoHwI' chu' - lights on is interesting linguistically: more literally it would be: lightmakers ready! I did not notice it the first time I studied your movie texts.

wovmoHwI' is a canon word (i.e. from Marc Okrand) for "lamp, light" , although not found in The Klingon Dictionary; I think it's actually from a Hallmark Christmas ornament commercial. chu' is clipped Klingon for yIchu' "Activate (it)!"

One more question: is the blue Bird of Prey, Cold Revenge,  made of Lego or is it rendered by computer graphics? My son wants to build it but I don't think we have the right parts.

The bortaS bIr is computer-generated, as are the Enterprise and Station K-7, using first a program called MLCAD to build the ship and then POV-Ray to render it as a 3D model.  MLCAD uses actual Lego parts for its building blocks, so you could build any of the models if you had enough parts of the right color.

The nice part about POV-Ray is that you can define lighting and camera position and move your models or the camera around, and POV-Ray handles all aspects of reflections, shadows and perspective.

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 10 27, 2009, 08:06: PM »

I showed lurDech to my wife, a (somewhat) former Klingon and a big fan of Fiddler on the Roof. She loved it.

qoSagh qlIStIy
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #7 on: 11 10, 2009, 12:16: PM »

I wanted to use the concept "light" but since wov just means "be light " I was forced to use it in a adjective way.
MLCAD looks cool, did not find the time to play with it yet.
Rametlh
Newcomer

« Reply #8 on: 11 17, 2009, 07:20: PM »

Very cute, gotta love what u can do with lego's... I liked em keep it up cause it not something most ppl like me can do, but love to see stuff like that.
ToqQawwI
One Post Wonder

« Reply #9 on: 08 08, 2013, 08:48: AM »

majQa', but you know what would be awesome? if someone translated the whole play.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 08 10, 2013, 06:01: AM »

If it were the whole play, I can see one of two ways of going with it. Somewhat in the same vein as the tribble episode, make the Klingons the Russians and have them move the Jews out, perhaps make them some other alien although I would resist the temptation to make them Romulan. The other would be to keep the Jews as Klingons and have the Russians be the HurQ / Karsids / Old Kings.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #11 on: 09 19, 2013, 07:55: AM »

There isn't a reason both sides couldn't both be "Klingons"....  they could be different Houses or Factions...  Or Imperials vs. Fusions.   But Klingons vs, jeghwI'  I think makes the most sense.

Oh, I while ago, back when I was DeeJaying for a Furry club in Second Life, and playing all sorts of strange and surprising tunes, I played lurDech to a mixed group of Furries.  They were very impressed. 

I do want to do some Klingon Theatre, either live or Virtually in Second Life.   Our Director wouldn't mind at all if I could get the actors and scripts and rights and everything to do a Klingon show...
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 09 20, 2013, 06:46: PM »

Klingon theater is an interest of mine also. Although I would like to do it more in the vein of street opera with some audience participation.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: