Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:47: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Make-up & Headpieces
| | | |-+  Eyebrows?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eyebrows?  (Read 12435 times)
E. Hyde
Newcomer

« on: 07 10, 2009, 03:31: PM »

Hi,

So I've made my first Klingon headpiece, and it's finished except for the eyebrows. I was wondering if anyone knew of a faster method than punching all the hairs individually ... I'm not sure how much I'd trust glue, does anyone know from experience if glue will hold? Maybe eyelash glue?

Thanks!
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 07 12, 2009, 07:53: AM »

With the disclaimer that I am not particularly skilled in make-up and prosthetics, my suggestion is that you conceptually divide the eyebrow up into two roughly equal pieces.  The first part is the part that you will punch individually along the lower half inch or so of the headpiece, where you will attach it with spirit gum/Pros-Aid/superglue/whatever to your forehead along the brow bone.

The second part would consist of hairs made from the same material. They would be attached to the bottom of your natural brow line *after* you have attached your headpiece. Once the adhesive has dried, use a comb with a very thin, tapered end (like a rat tail comb, but smaller) to blend the hairs attached to your skin upward into the hairs punched into the bottom of the headpiece, then set with fixative. As long as both the headpiece and the brow hairs immediately below it are securely attached, this should serve to blend your eyebrow hairs into a natural look and help to conceal the “seam” where the prosthetic meets your skin.

It will also help with any hair-related endeavor if you can vary and mix the colors slightly, and use a higher concentration of the lighter colored hairs along the hairline.

I hope that is of some help; my knowledge of the terminology involved is weak. If your goal is a realistic, natural look, I don’t see any alternative to the time-intensive task of punching/sewing and applying each hair individually, or 2-3 at a time if you have good coordination and a very good eye.  Anything else and you will look like the surgeon did a poor job installing your hairplugs.

As for glue holding.... I have yet to find any sort of non-toxic adhesive that will hold anything in place for any length of time. Either it’s not strong enough or I sweat it off (though coating the bare skin with something like Mehron barrier spray fixative may help with the latter and buy you some time).

I hope you find something useful in there somewhere. As always, be sure to experiment with scraps before attempting *any* procedure on your work-in-progress!  Will you let us know how your project succeeds (or doesn't), so that others may learn from your experience?

Wishing you Qapla'!*

-=- Kesvirit

*success

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 07 12, 2009, 04:15: PM »

I was once told of a method that is probably as time consuming, but ends up looking very good. I used it on my wife's headpiece, and plan on using it if I ever get around to making my own new one.

Buy at least two sets of fake eyelashes, the kind that come as small bunches of lashes. Apply these to the headpiece in the pattern you want with crazy glue or some such quick drying glue. I use zap a gap, my self. As this sets quickly you need to work carefully.

Since these will be in small groups of 3-4 lashes each, it allows you to achieve a more natural look. However since eyebrows are generally much thicker than eye lashes, it will take at least two sets to get the look you are trying for. It may take more. The good part is that such things are available at any pharmacy that sells make up, and you do not need to get expensive theatrical stuff. Store brand will be just fine, when you put them all together.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
E. Hyde
Newcomer

« Reply #3 on: 07 30, 2009, 04:28: AM »

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9615/cimg2941.jpg

So here's what I came up with. I ended up just punching the hairs in after all, a few hairs at a time, and it wasn't nearly as tedious as I'd expected it to be (in fact once I realized it was going quicker, I bought some long synthetic hair extensions as well so I could make a more realistic hairline, too).

I think the least successful bit of the overall headpiece was the nose -- it didn't sit right on my own nose, and I had to build the tip up a lot with wax to blend it in, which just made the whole thing huge, and I never did quite get the color of that to match. I think I should be able to fix the shape of the nose before the next time I wear it, though.

The costume I'm wearing in this picture was a bit last-minute, starting from a dress I already owned. I ran out of time to make the actual costume I had planned, but I guess this works okay, for a civilian outfit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: