Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 22, 2014, 03:47: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11684 Posts in 1610 Topics by 672 Members
Latest Member: SermanyuQngan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingons in the News
| | | |-+  Man robs convenience stores with "Klingon-style" weapon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man robs convenience stores with "Klingon-style" weapon  (Read 2912 times)
QorvaS
Scribe

« on: 02 04, 2009, 09:41: PM »

Hey folks.

Check this out!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090204/koddities/oddity_klingon_robbery

QorvaS
« Last Edit: 02 07, 2009, 04:35: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
Berzerker
Scribe

« Reply #1 on: 02 05, 2009, 01:55: AM »

You beat me to it.... He has brought dishonor on his family and to klingons in general. Disgrace.

Berz out.
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #2 on: 02 05, 2009, 04:54: PM »

And even if Klingons did see armed robbery as honorable.  A gas station?  would it really be worth the couple hundred dollars accessable by the terran clerk?  I'm strongly leaning toward the NO end of that spectrum.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 02 05, 2009, 05:51: PM »

More details as well as a photo captured from the surveilance cameras are available at http://www.gazette.com/articles/store_47426___article.html/colorado_sword.html.  Appearently there are reports that it is not an actual batletlh, but a large knife styled after the batletlh.  Such a unique weapon will likely be key key to the identity of the coward and thief.  If you do recognise this weapon, it would be honorable to report any information you have to the Colorado Springs Police Department.

ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #4 on: 02 05, 2009, 07:24: PM »

It doesn't really look like a betleH to me. If it is, in the surveilance video, he appears to be holding it by the blade, with the sharp edge in the palm of his hand.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #5 on: 02 07, 2009, 04:30: AM »

Articles on newspaper sites usually donít stay up for long, and like their hardcopy couterparts are soon tagged and buried in the paperís morgue, never to be seen again. Someone clicking the link six weeks from now is likely to get an error message. When posting the url to a relevant article, go ahead and copy-and-paste what you can of the story, including any and all credits given.
That way future readers will be able to read the original account of the event as well as the commentary upon it.

For example, the down-&-dirty version:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090204/koddities/oddity_klingon_robbery

Yahoo! News Canada

Man boldly robs Colorado store with Star Trek sword
Wed Feb 4, 6:31 PM

By The Associated Press
(ADVERTISEMENT filtered by Firefox)
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado police say a man with too much "Star Trek" on his mind used a sword modelled after the weapon carried by Klingon warriors to demand money from two convenience stores.

Investigators say the man took an unknown amount of cash from a 7-Eleven store Wednesday but left empty-handed when he tried to rob another store about 25 minutes later.

Police Lt. David Whitlock says no one was injured.

The StarTrek.com website says the double-pointed sword used by the Klingons on "Star Trek" is crescent-shaped and about a metre long.

Police did not specify what material it was made of.

No one has been charged in the incident.

I agree with voraq; robbing a gas station would not be worth the small amount gained, and I add that using a betleH to do so would be overkill. The robber would more likely hurt themselves than intimidate the clerk with a ceremonial sword. Such a move speaks of some combination of youth, stupidity, and desperation. Using a disruptor at a bank would be much pragmatic. Troublesome witnesses or interlopers are easily disposed of, more cash is netted in less time, and one can simply create a new exit if needed.

teríeS...  It doesn't really look like a betleH to me. If it is, in the surveilance video, he appears to be holding it by the blade, with the sharp edge in the palm of his hand.

The image is fuzzy, but if you are right, well, all I can add about the would-be robber is: [Bugs] what a maroon [/Bugs]. Iím amazed they got away with actual currency at the first stop without leaving behind multiple fingers as evidence.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 02 14, 2009, 04:22: PM »

Not only wasn't it a Klingon blade, it was actually a replica of one used in the Riddic (sp?) movies. I guess it is a testament to the enduring popularity of Trek in general and to Klingons especially that the headlines, however inaccurate lean towards us.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #7 on: 02 13, 2013, 07:22: PM »

Not again!   Fort Lauderdale- Klingon sword arrest

This story was specific that it was a Klingon batletlh sword, and again no picture of the alleged weapon.   Whether that is accurate or not, time will tell...

[Edit ] Unfortunately, it appears to be a legitimate batletlh this time :[  More informarion, including officer holding the weapon
« Last Edit: 02 20, 2013, 01:50: AM by Klythe » Logged
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 02 14, 2013, 04:51: PM »

Gotta love yellow journalism, that pic is a British police officer holding a weapon from a different incident. Although it does seem from the police report that this may have actually been a Klingon weapon, I won't believe it until I see it.

The video really says something about our justice system, the defense attorney said he hadn't even talked with his client. How can he even begin to offer a defense in that case? The Judge seemed to be doing more for the accused than the lawyer was. Even the prosecutor asked if there was a convention in town, which I guess may have been considered a mitigating factor.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #9 on: 03 03, 2013, 01:27: PM »

Yes, the pic is from a British incident several years ago. 

Love the insulting way the article is written... "star trek dorks the world over..."

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: