Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 08:57: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingon Events & Activities
| | | |-+  Klingon Terran Research Ensemble Gives Free Workshop at The Watermill Center, NY!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Terran Research Ensemble Gives Free Workshop at The Watermill Center, NY!  (Read 4690 times)
Floris Schonfeld
Scribe

« on: 10 04, 2008, 06:08: PM »

Greetings,

My name is Floris Schönfeld and I am the artistic director of the Klingon Terran Research Ensemble, based in The Hague, the Netherlands.

I would like to invite you to attend a workshop on Klingon musical improvisation at the Watermill Center in Watermill, New York from the 12th until the 16th of November.

The Klingon Terran Research Ensemble is a musical/theatrical  ensemble dedicated to the study and performance of Klingon music, in particular Klingon opera. 
The ensemble is affiliated to the ArtScience department of the Royal Conservatoire The Hague, and resides at the Zeebelt theater in The Hague, the Netherlands. 
The project strives to learn the ways of Klingon music through theory and practice.
For the results of some of our latest experiments look on  
http://www.youtube.com/user/KTResearchEnsemble and for more information on the ensemble; http://www.ktre.nl/

The instrumental and vocal techniques of Klingon music are based on the principle of combat. A Klingon musical piece is best compared to a ritualized martial arts fight whereby the two participating teams strive to musically dominate each other. Much of the Klingon musical language is yet to be discovered, so the ensemble takes a very hands-on experimental approach to learning the ways of the Klingon musical tradition. The goal of the workshop will be to further develop this combative musical language and gain a greater understanding of the improvising systems involved in it.

The KTRE is looking for vocal improvisers (male and female). No traditional vocal training is required, however you must be willing to explore the dark edges of your voice and to perform solo. The nature of the singing technique requires you to find the right strategy to optimize the strength of your voice so all types of voice are sought after.  

The workshop will be held on the beautiful grounds of the Watermill Center in Watermill (Southhampton) NY and is completely free. Living and transportation costs will be provided, as well as a comfortable residence at the center during the days of the workshop. The workshop would culminate in a performance of the developed technique at the Watermill Center on Sunday the 16th of November. 

If you are interested please send an email to Sherry.Dobbin@robertwilson.com
For more information on the Watermill Center see http://www.watermillcenter.org
or mail me directly at info@ktre.nl

Hope to hear from you soon!

Qapla'!

Floris Schönfeld

qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 10 06, 2008, 12:35: AM »

Now this looks interesting. It is not to far from home either. I just don't know about taking a week off from work to play music, or play Klingon for that matter.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Floris Schonfeld
Scribe

« Reply #2 on: 10 09, 2008, 06:35: PM »

Greetings qoSagh,

Thanks for your interest!

If you cann't make the work shop I suggest you attend the performance on the 16th (time will be annouced)!
It would be great to see some Klingons present!

I would also like to use my time in the States to have some discussions on Klingon music and opera with local Klingons.
I am making a collection of these discussions on video to document the project.
It would be great if you would be willing to contribute to the discussion!

I am at the Watermill center from the 28th of october until the 16th of november some I am quite fexible timewise.

Much Qapla'!

Floris

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: