Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 17, 2018, 11:52: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Music and Lyrics
| | | |-+  Seeking volunteers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seeking volunteers  (Read 4735 times)
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« on: 09 16, 2008, 03:47: PM »

From time to time, I produce Klingon songs (actually, Terran songs translated into Klingon). My latest project is the song "Tradition", from the musical "Fiddler On the Roof".  So far, I have sung all the parts in my songs myself, although I have used other actors in my Klingon films.  Since "Fiddler" is a big-cast Broadway musical, I'd like to try to get as many different singers as possible for the track. So I am calling for volunteers to be in my song.  You will be credited on my website.

When I did the movies, my actors recorded their parts on their own equipment and sent the recordings to me.  The fact that I have to sync the sung parts with the orchestral track adds a layer of complexity, but I believe it is doable.  I will send you several snippets of song in MP3 format.  All you need to do is play the snippets, and sing along, and then send me only the track with your own voice.  If all goes according to plan, it will be easy to merge the voice snippets with the music. 

There are about 7 snippets to record; the whole thing should run around 3 minutes.  You need some way to play the snippets I send you, headphones so you can hear the snippets, a microphone and a way to record your own voice.  If you are using Windows, plain old Media Player and Sound Recorder should be enough, or you can download the freeware program Audacity.  I will send complete instructions on how to record your parts.  If you are running a Mac, I can't help you, since I don't have one. If you are running Linux, you probably already know how to playback and record.

The required roles are Fathers, Mothers (both middle-aged), Sons and Daughters (both young adult/teenaged - You don't have to be middle-aged or young adult, just able to sing like one). The song has a simple two-part harmony, so I'd need to know if you want the high or low part for the character. Don't worry about your Klingon abilities; I'm looking more for enthusiasm than linguistic purity.  I'll include my voice singing your part on the snippets I send, also a copy of the text with translation.  If you are more comfortable seeing the score, I can send that, too.

If you are interested in participating in this experiment in long-distance choral singing, please PM or e-mail me.  Thanks in advance!

Edit: added "e-mail"
« Last Edit: 09 16, 2008, 04:26: PM by ter'eS » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 09 19, 2008, 10:33: AM »

If you are using Windows, plain old Media Player and Sound Recorder should be enough, or you can download the freeware program Audacity. *** If you are running a Mac, I can't help you, since I don't have one. If you are running Linux, you probably already know how to playback and record.

Audacity is a cross-platform open source application with versions for Windows, Mac OS X (both PPC and Intel and -- somebody catch me before I hit the floor -- OS 9), and Linux/Unix (though this is only available in source code.) Download here; beware the beta. I can't endorse it because I haven't tried it yet. Open source projects are always iffy, but in theory, if you can read and sing at the same time, you have no excuse for not helping ter’eS on his project. }}: )

As one who sorely lacks this prerequisite, all I can offer is a supply of bukkits for those who can carry a tune. (I steal them from walruses. There is so little in the way of entertainment at my remote posting that we have to make our own fun. }}: P)

-=- Kesvirit the croaker

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #2 on: 10 07, 2008, 03:15: AM »

Wow, this sounds--every pun intended--like a potentially very nifty project...

I am just about as computer illiterate as they come "What computer am I using you ask? Why, it's the one on my desk of course!" Anyway, from what you have posted, it looks like you are willing to do the hardest parts--including instructing me on what I need to do--so the least I can do is offer my assistance as it proves useful.

I am using windows, with the vista OS. I have never really looked at my media player, so I am unfamiliar with potential [onboard] recording functionality. I do, however, have a head set with a mike. Let me know what I need to do next to help get this project off the ground.

maj! {Good}...

Post Script---My singing voice likely leaves plenty to be desired, but I imagine that I can growl and spit through it. If, after we exchange some of this project, you find my voice to be unsuitable, or better still someone more vocally proficient gets involved, I will hardly be offended if you cannot use my samples.

Additionally, my voice is probably a bad tenor, but I doubt that I could pull off a teenager. If that helps...

-ANV

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
kroki
« Reply #3 on: 10 07, 2008, 09:21: AM »

Hi ter'eS,

When I read your post the song If I were a rich man loD mIp jIHchugh ? was buzzing in my head for a couple of days.
Anyway, count me in, although I am not sure if I have all the necessary gear, but then I'll get it.  I reckon if I can sing in Klingon I might learn how to speak it as well!

QoghtlhIH'u'
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #4 on: 12 01, 2008, 02:01: AM »

I have completed my song lurDech (Tradition), and it can be found at http://teresh.tdonnelly.org/klinbom.html, at the bottom of the page.  I hope you enjoy it.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #5 on: 09 15, 2010, 02:29: AM »

I very much enjoyed it! I was wondering if you had tips on singing. Some letters are VERY difficult to sing, like gh, Q and especially '. It feels like I should tone down these sounds while singing and in the case of ', omit it all together. These problems usually seem to only show for me when these sounds appear at the end of a verse. I was wondering if you had these problems, and how you got around them.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: