Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:13: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Art and Artwork
| | | |-+  Klingon Jewelry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Jewelry  (Read 17690 times)
nlaing
Novice

« on: 08 03, 2008, 08:16: AM »

I know I have seen a few pieces over the course of the shows and movies but does anyone have any thoughts or images they think are good representational samples?
I for one, think the Celtic torq is a good example.
http://www.mysteriousworld.com/Content/Images/Journal/2003/Winter/Giants/Torque.jpg
What about for females, or for pure astethics?

[Edit -- changed thread title to entice spiderbots]
« Last Edit: 08 06, 2008, 07:58: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 08 05, 2008, 07:47: AM »

First of all you link appears to be broken.   Please fix it or remove it.   

As far as Torcs or torques go they are not exclusively Celtic nor specifically worn by males.  At least as far as wikipedia's claim that both gods and goddesses were depicted as wearing them, we can assume mortal males and females would also wear the original torcs.

Even if they were only worn by males on earth, that has no bearing on if they were worn by Klingons and which klingons would have worn them if they were not worn equally by all Klingons.  This is a very interesting contribution, but lets not get in the habit of thinking terran assumptions will necessarily apply to Klingon culture.  You do that and it won't be long at all before some Klingon female shows you that they are every bit as formidible as Klingon men.
nlaing
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 08 06, 2008, 03:23: AM »

link fixed.
honor restored.

I must have misrepresented my point.
Anyone can wear a torq. The substantial nature of those pieces are what seems Klingon to me. they look as though they can take the punishment of battle.

now seperately,
I feel that klingon females have clearly different apearance sensibilities from Klingon men. Otherwise, why would they bear thier cleavage when males do not bare flesh at all?

Female jewlery should be just as distinct as thier clothing, I just cant think of how.
any ideas?
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 08 06, 2008, 08:05: AM »

I believe this is what mathematicians refer to in shorthand as “reduces to a problem already solved”: because most writers are male and all men are perverts (including that dirtbag Thiess that costume design teachers hold in such high regard.)

Go ahead and do the reading. I’ll wait.

What? Angry at the industry’s attempts to degrade me by association? Not me.

Female jewlery should be just as distinct as thier clothing, I just cant think of how.
any ideas?

Obviously you can think how, and have plenty of ideas about it. But not to worry. Here we duel with our minds and words, not our breasts, so you shouldn’t be too much at a disadvantage.  }}; )

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #4 on: 08 06, 2008, 05:25: PM »

I have to agree with Kesvirit.
We men are perverts... and what would keep a Klingon female (hypothetical and not related to the tv-shows' representation of one) from wearing exactly the same as a Klingon male?

Well... In other threads we have discussed the need for the race to sustain itself, and the role procreation, leisure and sexual "abberation" play in this case of "Komerex tel Khesterex"...

Since we (at least I and Kesvirit) have agreed that men are perverts, what better way is there for the female to attract this potential mate/procreator of her offspring and co-warden of the Klingon race than to show some skin? That alone would make differing costumes a necessity...

Is this overstating an obvious point? possibly...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
nlaing
Novice

« Reply #5 on: 08 07, 2008, 02:24: AM »

Cool.
Now bringing back to topic.
What would a Male Klingon Find attrctive on a Female Klingon?

Shiny to grab attention, and "stun" the Male

Heavy to show the Female as strong and "Hardy"?

Subtle to show she cares about asthetics but is not boisterous about it?
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #6 on: 08 12, 2008, 06:20: AM »

What if instead of that we ask, what would a female Klingon find attractive and wish to wear because she wishes?  We can only speculate.  Klingon women are not often seen wearing jewelry, in fact the closest thing that comes to my mind is the chain coif worn by Chancellor Azetbur, if such a practical piece can even be considered jewelry. 

In Terran traditions jewelry is often a status symbol because of the impression of wealth it communicates.   As we see in The House of Quark, Klingons are less interested in wealth and consider it an unworthy substitute for more traditional forms of gaining advantage over your rivals, opponents and enemies.   Gold is soft and easy to work with, not a proper challenge for a Klingon jewelry maker.  Perhaps even a symbol of vanity and pride, as I seem to remember some FASA gaming material mentioning a story about an Emperor who made his crown from Gold, or perhaps it is in "The Final Reflection". My copy of TFR is buried, but I'll have a look at my Fasa books to see if it is there.  I would expect a Klingon artisan would work with very durable, difficult to work with metals to best show off their skills and give them something to boast about.

Perhaps a Klingon woman would wear jewelry taken from enemies they defeated, Cardassians, Romulans, Terrans perhaps even Bajorans, but only if it was an respected enemy.    Wearing Ferengi or Pakled jewelry would probably grant you as much respect as it would wearing a cloak made of domestic at hides with their collars sewn into it.  }}:]
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 08 12, 2008, 12:37: PM »

One notable example is the very ornate 'necklace worn by Sirella when she comes on board DS9 in "You are cordially Invited"  Its not really a necklace as such, as its suported by two metallic epaulettes rather than by going round the neck...  Its a very large and heavy piece.. and as it hapens I'm in the middle of making a replica of it.. (I'll post a pic when its finished.)

Interestingly, to me at least, she was wearing the same piece, both for travelling in and for the actual wedding, although her dress was different.

she also wears a sort of crown with it as well.

I think the reason we don't often see Klingon women wearing jewellery is simply because we havent seen many women in civilian clothing, apart from Sirella and Grilka (and I can't remember if Grilka was ever seen wearing jewellery).  Apart from those two, the majority of women seen have been background characters in the high council or on a bird of prey and hence
in uniform. Personal jewellery, apart from house badges would probably be discouranged while on duty.  We do see Khalest (Worf's nursemaid)  in one episode but she is obviously living in relative poverty and probably simply can't afford expensive jewels.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
jwktrucker
Novice

Fandom Fabrications

« Reply #8 on: 01 10, 2010, 03:55: AM »

Hello Everyone

I am a craftsman and metal smith and I am here looking for ideas for pieces to make. I have made Brass Command pins for a command cloak some 15 years ago. I need pictures and drawings of what is Klingon and I will do my best to make them. My new years resolution this year was to take command of my finances. After being unable to find a good paying job for over a year and my friend telling me that the jewelry I make for fun can sell for good money. I have decided to go into business for myself. I love going to conventions and making costumes for my friends so the market I feel most attune with would be Sci-Fi Fans.

So I am here to ask What would you like me to make.

John Kuczwara
Fandom Fabrications
2526 Glenmawr Ave.
Columbus OH 43202
614-886-4843
jwktrucker@gmail.com

John Kuczwara, Fandom Fabrications
2526 Glenmawr Ave., Columbus, OH 43202
614-886-4843   
jwktrucker@gmail.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »