Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 2018, 11:28: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Klingon Technology and Engineering
| | | |-+  The Mind Scanner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mind Scanner  (Read 15030 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 07 17, 2002, 03:46: AM »

I wasn't sure whether to post this under Biology or Engineering; it works on Biology but it's a gadget, so I took a flying guess.

I am looking for information on the mind scanner and how it works. I didn't get anywhere with search engines; they all referred me back to "Errand of Mercy" wherein Cousin Kor threatened to use one on Kirk, or "The Mindscanner", the official communique of the KAG. Neither of these helped much. (Search engines are such a mixed bag - if you don't ask them just right, they leave you holding it).

Any information on its technology and the way in which it effects the neurologies of various species would be much appreciated. Canon is no object. Feel free to speculate away.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:03: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qurgh
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 07 22, 2002, 02:01: AM »

qurgh lungqIj
tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'
pagh jIH 'ach Hoch jIH
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:03: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 07 27, 2002, 03:56: PM »

Good idea. I tried looking up "mind sifter", "mind ripper", "mind shredder", and every other permutation I could think of and came up empty. I found numerous references to it, but nothing about it. The only thing I found was a CCG Trek card labeled "Mind Sifter" which was a picture of the camera from Kor's office in "Errand of Mercy". Methinks someone over at Decipher be asleep at the wheel.

So. Anyone out there with a strong background in cognative science and electronics want to design me one? Or more to the point, come up with a description of what it looks like and how it works?

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:05: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qurgh
Novice

« Reply #3 on: 07 28, 2002, 02:58: PM »

Barbaric Klingon device used to probe the thoughts of a prisoner during interrogation. At higher settings, the device irreparably damaged the brain of the victim. Spock's vulcan disipline enabled him to endure the Mind Sifter on planet Organian in 2267.

Klingon Word: tuQDoq - Klingon Mind Sifter (Klingon psychic probe)
tuQ means wear
Doq means orange/red
So the device could be seen as a wear orange/red.

Thats all I know about it. I guess watching the episode might help, since it appears from the text that it is used on Spock.

qurgh lungqIj
tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'
pagh jIH 'ach Hoch jIH
« Last Edit: 04 26, 2008, 09:31: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 07 29, 2002, 05:41: AM »

The ST Encyclopedia gives a variation of the same definition I keep finding ad nauseum everywhere else. And yes, I've watched the episode in which it was mentioned. That's how I recognized that CCG card of the surveillance camera. In "Errand of Mercy" Kor tells Kirk he has used it on Spock, but this is never shown onscreen. I have no idea what the phrase "wear orange/red" would refer to.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:07: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #5 on: 03 01, 2003, 09:49: PM »

Mind sifter, mind scanner, I have also heard it referred to as an agonizer. I am not certain that it has ever been firmly established what it looks like or how it functions.

The "Klingon Strike Force: Covert Operations Manual" describes the agonizer as a device used for discipline and interrogation.  It is applied to a major nerve center and the controls can adjust the intensity level from mild discomfort to excruciating agony.  Direct neurological stimulation is supposed to prevent the loss of consciousness.

Another book I have, "Lets Trek: The Budget Guide to the Klingons, 1995", photography credits identify a small gray device with a raised, somewhat triangular red portion as an agonizer.

Of course this agonizer is illustrated within the Star Trek Encyclopedia and identified as a device worn by the I.S.S. Enterprise crew members in the mirror universe for punishment and also the Klingons in "Day of the Dove" for discipline.

Many fans I have encountered treat this device as all and the same, however it very well could be that the actual mind sifter is a separate and distinct unit that to date we do not know what it looks like.  Or it could simply be an agonizer with higher or more deeply penetrating settings.

I would imagine that the results/name of this device would be relevant based upon which end of it you are on.
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:13: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 03 22, 2003, 10:17: AM »

The mind scanner and the agonizer are different items which perform different functions. The sole purpose of the agonizer is to inflict pain, usually for purposes of discipline or torture. (Though certainly not designed for such I can also see the potential for medical applications. The agonizer could conceivably be used to delay shock, slow bleeding to wounds in the extremities, keep severed limbs "alive" until they could be reattached, possibly bring a patient out of a coma, etc., all depending on the skill level and creativity of the person wielding it.)

The mind scanner is something else entirely and is used to "harvest" information during interrogations. Though I have yet to see an example or a description, I envision it as including a series of probes inserted into neural pathways of the subject's visual cortex and wired into a monitor. The subject is restrained, "hooked up", and administered truth drugs in order to stimulate and drain memories which in turn show up on the monitor. As noted in "Errand of Mercy", the deeper the interrogator has to dig, the more of the mind is destroyed.

If anyone has any speculations about the specific design of the device or how it works I would appreciate any details they could give. (For a book that claims to be comprehensive, I find the Star Trek Encyclopedia to be of very little help as a reference... give me Google any day.)

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 05 10, 2008, 11:18: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: