Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 30, 2014, 01:55: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11641 Posts in 1600 Topics by 664 Members
Latest Member: johnclo
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Make-up & Headpieces
| | | |-+  Klingon wigs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon wigs?  (Read 5828 times)
Kaga
Scribe

« on: 05 12, 2008, 02:59: PM »

Having decided to create myself a headpiece using the "Claytex method", I'm now on the lookout for a good wig to sew into it.

I'm looking for realistic-looking and cheap wigs, and preferably ones that look like Klingon hair. My price-range is limited, however, so cheapness comes first. Has anyone found a really good Klingon-looking wig for not-that-much money?

Any other suggestions on making a headpiece or finding a wig would be appreciated as well!
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 05 13, 2008, 03:27: PM »

I haven't seen this method before...  Looks interesting.  If that works it can save a lot of time and effort over the 3 to 5 step head casts.  Good information thre about altering and sewing in the wig...  I still need to do that with mine.   Please let us all know how it goes.

As far as wigs go...  There is fortunately very little specific about Klingon hair other than being big and poofy.  Just about any basic black or brown long-haired cheap costume wigs(don't finch from buying 'female' wigs) will probably work just fine for a first costume where the goal is to make a passible klingon look to get you started while leaving refining your look for future projects.   With a bit of conditioning to poof them up, generic natural colored longhair female costume wigs look quite normal on a Klingon male.  I would definately start with your local costume shop where you can usually find something that will work well for $15-$20.

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #2 on: 05 19, 2008, 12:22: PM »

looks like a worth-while method...
Might try that with my to-be-forehead/headpiece...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
e01rnesto
One Post Wonder

« Reply #3 on: 08 27, 2013, 02:07: AM »

I got another source for option. I found great bargain of cheap wigs from this wholesaler. I had a trial order for a lace wigs before, turns out a pleasant purchase. Hope this help!
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 08 31, 2013, 09:48: AM »

This time of year with many temporary Halloween stores opening up, you will have a good selection of wigs to choose from.

This method looks like it eliminates some steps but adds a few others. My ridges were made by someone taking a plaster cast of my head, really just the area from my nose up to about the half way mark of my skull. He then took that and made a positive and built up the clay on that. Essentially the use of the Styrofoam wig head eliminates the need for the second cast but looks like it might require allot more clay to get the size right. Mine did require another negative cast to be made of the ridges, but instead of several layers of brushed latex, this was done with fewer layers of poured latex. The only other difference I know of is that mine was heated in an oven to vulcanize it. I know this is somewhat difficult because of the release of the ammonia fumes but a good cleaning of the oven afterwards should fix it back up. I have never done that step myself yet.

One step that was done to mine which I would highly recommend was that after it was all done, the underside was coated and the ridges filled with a hard resin. This gives it a much more rigid look and feel but makes it hotter to wear. As the latex does not go all the way around, my wig is simply attached to the edge. The initial way this was done was that a wedge shape was cut into the forehead of the wig and then the wig was simply glued onto the edge with Zap A Gap. A couple of years later I added more hair to the front edge by taking apart another wig and gluing small pieces of the rows of hair in place. I also used small pieces like that to add long hair over the sideburns area of the headpiece.

I like the idea of quick and easy, but if you are going to wear this over and over again for long periods of time, it might be worth taking the time to look into other methods. I have had my for over 20 years now.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: