Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 09:00: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Klingon Technology and Engineering
| | | |-+  Computer Display Panels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Display Panels  (Read 10604 times)
qurgh
Novice

« on: 07 01, 2002, 04:11: PM »

Anyone know how to make Computer display panels as used on the show.

I'm thinking it's back-lit plexi-glass (or some kind of plastic) but I
don't know how they get the actual display picture. Is it painted on?
Printed on? A sheet underneath?

Any tips on these would be great!

« Last Edit: 04 20, 2008, 12:26: AM by Spiderbot Scatologist » Logged
Chuzat
KIDC Member
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 07 02, 2002, 05:16: AM »

I seem to remember seeing something on them, and I think they are printed
and under glass/plastic.
Seems like thin plexiglass with printed transparicies attached would work,
with either some backlighting or fiber optic lights to individual spots.

Staff Officer Chuzat Ma'az
Security Officer, KIDC
« Last Edit: 06 29, 2008, 07:15: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
qurgh
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 07 02, 2002, 11:36: PM »

Does anyone have any experiance doing this?

And anyone got any good Klingon display panel pictures?
« Last Edit: 04 20, 2008, 01:51: AM by Klythe » Logged
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 09 06, 2002, 02:39: AM »

Star Trek's graphics art department uses the vector graphics software Adobe
Illustrator 10 to prepare the graphics as a bitmap file.  They are then
printed onto a plastic film using a giant inkjet printer.

The film is then glued to a piece of plexiglass and backlit.  If the scene
requires interactive video playback a portion of the graphic is left clear
and a computer monitor or video playback monitor is mounted behind for
visual effects.

You can read about the process in detail through several interviews
published in Star Trek the magazine.
« Last Edit: 04 20, 2008, 12:26: AM by Spiderbot Scatologist » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 06 15, 2009, 05:07: AM »

qurgh:   And anyone got any good Klingon display panel pictures?

I have just acquired this:

I do not recognize the ship model number or some of the functions being monitored. If anyone can provide details, however small, they would be appreciated.

The original is 2048X1000 and in .tiff form. It is larger (at 5.9 MB, too large for my hosting account) and has better resolution than the version shown here. If you would like a copy of the original for study, or perhaps to use as a wallpaper, contact me and I will email you one.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #5 on: 06 15, 2009, 12:08: PM »

Awesome!
I would like to get a copy with a higher resolution.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #6 on: 06 15, 2009, 03:45: PM »

The label over the inverted triangle on the left reads "disruptor systems".  The label over the one on the right reads "thruster control". The rest is too small on my monitor to make out. 

It's not in Klingon, it's just using pIqaD to transcribe the English.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #7 on: 06 16, 2009, 04:26: AM »

QoghtlhIH'u', I have sent the image as an email attachment. I have been told that there is less chance of data corruption in a document when it is sent as an attachment than if it is embedded in the email. I do not know if this is true.

If whoever made this (or more likely, was part of a team that made this) transliterated instead of transcribed, I have to wonder why they bothered....

Then again, it’s probably just as well that they didn’t.  There are few speakers of the Hol skilled enough to do so correctly. Rather a transliteration than a faulty translation that would have students across the quadrant banging their heads against walls in “Why can’t I make this work?” frustration.

Does anyone know the original source of the image? What manual, episode, DVD-extra, etc. it first appeared in?

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #8 on: 06 16, 2009, 10:46: AM »

It arrived uncorrupted, thank you Kesvirit.
I was preparing to write a small program to chop up a large file so the smaller files could be sent or posted. The same program would ofcourse have to be able to glue the separate files again. I think I will still write that program anyway.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #9 on: 06 16, 2009, 03:38: PM »

I've made out a little more of it:

Starting at the top left, the red lettering on the left of the trapezoid with the BOP says "Port Display".  The black lettering in the triangle next to that says "Primary Disruptor".  The black lettering in the corresponding triangle on the right says "Cloaking Device". The red lettering between that triangle and the far right trapezoid with the BOP says "Port Side" (I know, should be "Starboard").

For the big inverted triangle on the left, the top reads "Diruptor Systems" (not "Disruptor"), and the red lettering on the left reads "Port Disruptor", and that on the right "Staroard Disrupor". 

For the big inverted triangle on the right, we have "Thruster Controls", "Port Thruster" and "Starbard Thuster".

The rest is too hard for me to read. I especially wish I could read the text under the engines in the main triangle, or the legends in the central hexes in the disruptor and thruster triangles.

But, armed with this, anyone with a clear picture should be able to figure out the rest of it. It's actually kind of fun!
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #10 on: 06 16, 2009, 11:01: PM »

I especially wish I could read the text under the engines in the main triangle, or the legends in the central hexes in the disruptor and thruster triangles.

The "DIRUPTOR SYSTEMS" caption in the center is definitely "POWER". The "THRUSTER CONTROL" caption appears to be "ENRGY".

The yellow text in the top corners of those triangles looks like "FULL", with the lower red text "OFF". The darker red between them is smaller and too blurry for me to make out.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #11 on: 06 17, 2009, 01:02: AM »

^^ Cool! See, isn't this fun?

It's too bad they couldn't have at least spelled the transliterated English right; although maybe someone else truncated the legends to make them fit the space, and they didn't know what they said.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #12 on: 06 28, 2009, 02:11: PM »

^^ Cool! See, isn't this fun?

It's too bad they couldn't have at least spelled the transliterated English right; although maybe someone else truncated the legends to make them fit the space, and they didn't know what they said.

I have to wonder if possibly this was designed to be used for a combat simulator... I designed some "Display Panals" for KSG to be used during our Fleet Ops tactical simulator, where various systems could be powered up and down and so forth.

I have always wanted to have some "Interactive" displays where you could actually shift power around, raise shields, etc using maybe Excel or similar... But I am not quite skilled enough...

Anyway, we printed ours out and used tokens to track the changes throughout the game... Worked fine. A large display like the one Kesvirit posted could almost be adapted to what we did, which is what made me think of it...

maj! {Good}...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: