Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 12:58: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Make-up & Headpieces
| | | |-+  Non-latex head piece
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-latex head piece  (Read 13392 times)
Qsioned
Newcomer

« on: 04 08, 2008, 04:57: PM »

Is there any other material than latex which can be used for the head piece?   I want to make one but cannot where latex for more than 10 mins do to an allergy.   Q' Sioned

[Edit -- changed thread title]
« Last Edit: 04 08, 2008, 07:26: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #1 on: 04 08, 2008, 05:42: PM »

Is there any other material than latex which can be used for the head piece?   I want to make one but cannot where latex for more than 10 mins do to an allergy.   Q' Sioned
Depends on how skilled the maker is... I have seen people create leather headpieces... And maybe a thin wood would be possible, although not desirable.
Latex and other hardening fluids have the quality that they form nicely around the stirn...
I have not made a mask myself, but there are foams that can be used as well, I believe.

[Edit -- changed post title]
« Last Edit: 04 08, 2008, 07:27: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 04 15, 2008, 08:49: AM »

Aha! I knew this had come up before someplace. In the Klingon headpiece material? thread, BuraD writes: “We are beginning to experiment with a new gelatin foam, as we have two members who work in the medical profession who have over the years developed an allergy to latex.”

Chuzat gives a link to the foaming gelatin as http://www.michaeldavy.com/ . Click on “Products” on the bottom of the page, then on “Gelatin” on the left. Then listen to me complain about why I hate frames sites. }}: /

I hope that anyone who uses the stuff will let us know how it worked or didn’t.

Addendum: http://www.michaeldavy.com/products/products_gelatin.html should take you straight to the gelatin. I still recommend you browse the site. There are all sorts of interesting things to be found there. Also, take a look through the Klingon headpiece material? thread. There may be more information there you can use.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 04 15, 2008, 08:28: PM »

Nitrile is commonly being used to replace latex for gloves and from searching some industrial rubber rings, but so far I haven't seen any discussion on how it could be used for costuming.

Silicon might be another material to consider, though it is much heavier.  Perhaps you might be able to use a latex headpiece with a barrier made of some other material to keep the latex from touching your skin.

There also I believe there are formulations of latex that are less alergenic, though this would only increase the time you could wear the headpeice, but you still would have an exposure limit before suffering a reaction.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #4 on: 04 19, 2008, 05:02: PM »

The professionals are using cold foam now. Its expensive and more difficult to make the headpeice (in my opinion) but the results are incredibly lifelike and very impressive.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #5 on: 04 20, 2008, 07:46: PM »

Cold foam is a kind of latex.  Yeah it's a little harder to work with because you have to cast it while it still foaming and you have to mix just the right amounts for what you need..  but it's softer and lighter than slush cast latex which is normally cast as a hollow shell.   There is also Hot foam latex which is even harder to work with but provides higher levels of detail and a nice soft  outer layer, though that makes it less durable than any of the others.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: