Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 02:35: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Klingon Biology & Physiology
| | | |-+  Variations in Klingon blood color
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Variations in Klingon blood color  (Read 17431 times)
Mule
Scribe

« on: 04 07, 2008, 12:36: AM »

[Note: This isn’t a thread proper (yet), but two posts on the same topic listed together. The second one came from the spiderbot scats. Further replies encouraged! -- Kesvirit]

posted on 7-25-2002 at 03:34 AM
Does anybody know what metal is in Klingon hemoglobin?

To answer a 6-year-old question:

It is quite plausible that the iron that is in human hemoglobin can be replaced with other elements in the same row of the periodic table. This leads to some interesting possibilities: Ruthenium, Osmium, or Hassium.

Klingons would be an endangered species indeed if their hemoglobin were based on Ru or Os as both of these are about as rare as Platinum. Every hunter in the galaxy would be literally out for their blood. On the other hand they probably could get a lot of Ripple or Thunderbird with the money they get for selling their blood.

As for Hassium, it means that they would have radioactive blood.
« Last Edit: 04 14, 2008, 01:23: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

A Klingon pledges his loyalty to the Empire; he pledges his life to his comrade-in-arms.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 07 25, 2002, 08:27: AM »

quoth Chuzat:    Now as for the color of blood in hybrids: human blood is red because the metal in the hemoglobin in Iron, and Vulcans are green because the Iron is replaced with Copper.  A true hybrid would have an Iron/Copper based hemoglobin because the blending is more at the genetic level.  A Vulcan/Human would actually have both types of blood since half the genes are Human and half Vulcan, at least I think that's what would happen, unless one species had dominance regarding blood type. Does anybody know what metal is in Klingon hemoglobin?

So I guess that leaves us 4 possibilities for the color of mixed species blood, but I really don't care what color is covering the ground after my enemy has been reduced to a BUM (Bloody Unrecognizeable Mess).

Blood color is primarily determined by the mineral carrying oxygen throughout the bloodstream. According to the Astrobiology Question Bank (ABQ), iron-containing pigments such heomglobins and myoglobins make for a reddish tinge, cholorocruorins make for green blood,and hemerythrins turn blood violet. This supports my earlier statement about the apparent variation in Klingon blood color between lavender and red having to do with varying degrees of different fusion ancestry. Thus I can see how a lavender-blooded Imperial could have hemerythrin instead of hemoglobin yet still have iron-based blood.

According to AQB the green-colored chlorocruorins are iron-based and contribute to the red color of Human blood. I've read that Vulcan blood is based on copper, which in an acidic aqueous environment oxidizes to blue -- not green, as evidenced by horseshoe crabs. The only known green-blooded animals are sea cukes, whose vanadium-based blood is a yellow-green color. Most plants have their "blood equivalents" based on magnesium, which along with the photosynthetic process gives them their green color.

Thus, were all this to happen naturally in a hybridization process, Imperials, Imperial-Human fusions, and Imperial-Romulan fusions should all be red-blooded while Spock should be the lavender-blooded one.

However, this is all done by genetic manipulation. I don't know to what extent the Thought Masters of Medicine and their technicians could manipulate individual characteristics like blood color and still get a viable organism. When it comes to picking and choosing, some features are more plastic than others. This may also assume that blood color is a single polygenic trait in which the combining of many factors results in a sort of a blending effect, as opposed to a simple Mendelian dominant-recessive (or "either/or") trait.

YKtFRMV (Your Kellicam to Fuel Ratios May Vary)
« Last Edit: 04 14, 2008, 12:55: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #2 on: 01 07, 2014, 05:19: PM »

This answers part of a question I have. I'm thinking of giving my new forehead a fresh scar, deep enough for blood to trickle through but not be life threatening.
 The first question was what color is most canon, it appears here that both can be.

My second question is one of opinion. voraqs heritage, as I (the terran costumer) understand, is completely imperial so my first thought was to use lavender. However, I never really cared for the brightness as it appeared in st 6. Now the question. Would it make sense to have blood that is mostly lavender but with enough red to mute the brightness a bit?
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 01 07, 2014, 06:10: PM »

copper, as you say, oxidises to blue not green, but isnt it possible there could be other components in the blood that turn it green.. if there was a yellow compnonent in there as well - and since we know little about Vulcan biology it is possible - then the blue and yellow would mix to appear green.

But as for Klingon blood... what colour is it anyway?  The movies say it is purple, TNG onwards says its red like human blood.  Obviously we know the real life reasons for the change, but what is the in character explanation?  And which is it, red or purple?  In both cases it was full blooded Klingons, not hybrids, which might have explained it, but evolution does not happen quickly enough that blood would change colour from Kirk's time to Picard's.

And if its purple, what might make it that colour?  Some other component mixing with the iron?

Again, and this assumes that Klingon blood is different to Terran, how would hybrids survive? A human woman has enough problems if her child has a different rhesus factor, how much worse would it be if the blood of the baby she carries isnt even iron based?

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 01 09, 2014, 03:36: AM »

Lots of questions here and like in much of Trek lore, few if any answers.

The rarity of elements is a big question mark, as rarity is so far based on the proliferation of these elements on Earth and in the very small piece of space we have explored. Given the star faring nature of the human/federation society that has met Klingons there is allot more territory to cover and we might just discover not only new supplies of known elements but new elements as well.

I kind of like the idea of the scar on the headpiece, but I have no idea how to make fake blood and get it to a different color. The only blood I have made it the edible kind, which has so much sugar in it, that you don't want to use it on your headpiece.

Given that we have seen Klingons that appear Imperial bleed in at least two different colors, and given that we have seen fusions that have somehow sprouted ridges, it seems reasonable that some of the Klingons we see that appear Imperial have the augment/fusion DNA in them to varying degrees.  I would think this might explain the different blood colors to some extent. Why would so many with the same color be serving on the Chancellor's ship? Perhaps there is a family that has pledged themselves to the service of the crown and they serve in the honor guard.

We have seen Klingons interbreed with Romulans (yuck!) and humans (Eww!) so it is also fair to say that either natural interbreeding is possible or science has advanced enough to assist this process. I remember a quote by Amanda that mentioned medical help being needed to allow for a Human/Vulcan child to be born. Being that outside of fandom, we have seen relatively few such children (of any parentage) that this would be something done on request and not so much a science that was developed and then applied. I also can't see this being something that Klingons would put much work into given their fairly racist or at least isolationist tendencies. So again this would be a rare thing, that doctors, most likely non Klingon, would work on as requested. Leading me to think that the only explanation for most situations would be lingering fusion traits due to mixed Klingon ancestry.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #5 on: 01 10, 2014, 12:44: AM »

When I said fresh, I should have been more specific. I'm not thinking seeping, but that would be awesome. I'm thinking more like "the wound occurred yesterday and I'm going out and about today". More like fresh and scab like, still fresh looking but not actually messy. I was thinking of using the type of paint/makeup that we normally use on our, just red and purplish.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: