Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 02:43: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Programmers Guild
| | |-+  Imperial Klingon Line Registry Database crash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Imperial Klingon Line Registry Database crash  (Read 6598 times)
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« on: 03 26, 2008, 06:32: PM »

One thing you should consider when starting a new site is what you will be offering that is unique and different than any of the other Star Trek fan sites already on the web.
blasted coder skillz...
I need my Internetz back... 8-(

(referring to that lovely database I had started...)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 03 30, 2008, 03:30: AM »

What happened? Did you lose a database, or access to it? Was it IKLRD related?

-=- Kesv

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #2 on: 04 01, 2008, 06:00: PM »

The data is safe, the database too. nobody can access it...
I have no internet at home, so I can't spend much, if any time developing it... 8-(
Not really a big deal, just so people know.

The database IS IKLRD 8-)

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 04 07, 2008, 05:28: AM »

I’m most relieved to hear that you still have the database, and that the IKLRD lives. Even if it does so in a cryo capsule.

During the Great Crash of 2003 the KIF lost the entire database. All that remained was what I could capture from Google’s cache system, and it was dropping threads faster than I could find, copy and paste them. What a disaster that was.... 

When you compute for fun and profit, not having net at home is... Well, it’s just...just....  To quote a neighbor in the local vernacular, “Dude! That’s harsh!”  I can only hope that sitting at a computer all day and spending the rest of your waking hours commuting might mitigate any potential ill effects. I also hope that your employer does not use babysitting software, and affords you a little time to devote to personal business here and there.

Forget Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. I subscribe to the hierarchy of needs set forth by my previous ISP:  “food. shelter. clothing. net.”
The only problem is that one must add “income” in there somewhere to make it work. }}:  /

Anyone else want to join us for a mug of homebrew and share tales of crashes past?

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #4 on: 04 08, 2008, 05:27: PM »

I’m most relieved to hear that you still have the database, and that the IKLRD lives. Even if it does so in a cryo capsule.
I will make a proper back-up as soon as my Internet connection (the non-existent one) will allow.
Most of it is currently dress anyway. It is a simple table and I have found several angles of expansion that need to be implemented.

During the Great Crash of 2003 the KIF lost the entire database. All that remained was what I could capture from Google’s cache system, and it was dropping threads faster than I could find, copy and paste them. What a disaster that was....
I can imagine that.
The IKLRD is not down as such (http://www.thorwald.nl/klingon/IKLRD/). It is the interaction that is limited to 0.
Until this has been solved I will accept mails asking to add the details manually. I am looking for content any time 8-)

When you compute for fun and profit, not having net at home is... Well, it’s just...just....  To quote a neighbor in the local vernacular, “Dude! That’s harsh!”
It is. I am lucky to have a mp3 collection that is in dire need of sorting (and maybe I can learn some coding here to semi-automate the process) and have most of my websites on my harddisk, which allows me to further develop it off-line.

I can only hope that sitting at a computer all day and spending the rest of your waking hours commuting might mitigate any potential ill effects.
The commute has diminished! I moved 8-) It was cut in half.

I also hope that your employer does not use babysitting software, and affords you a little time to devote to personal business here and there.
I am in the lucky position to have two pcs at my disposal, one of which needs full access to the Internet, as I need to be able to access customer's LANs and web sites.

I subscribe to the hierarchy of needs set forth by my previous ISP:  “food. shelter. clothing. net.”
The only problem is that one must add “income” in there somewhere to make it work. }}:  /
It would have to be food, shelter, money, clothing, net. Without money, food and shelter can be found in the wild. Clothing and net are hard to get without.

Anyone else want to join us for a mug of homebrew and share tales of crashes past?
I'd rather have a blood wine or warnog.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 04 26, 2008, 07:11: AM »

::hands you the bottle::

An idea....

The IKV Nemesis has a page dedicated to House links. Many of the links are khex, leading me to wonder if the site has been abandoned and is ripe for salvage. I do not know where you are in the process of repairing the IKLRD, but I suggest you explore the page for extant links, contact the appropriate representative of the houses, and invite them to submit information to the IKLRD for manual entry. Or perhaps ask them to act as beta testers once it is interactive.

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #6 on: 04 28, 2008, 05:29: PM »

Thanks very much for your scurrying the web.
I will certainly scavenge the site and write to any contact I might find. I have to re-build the interactive part pretty much from scratch, but am seeking pre-fabricated help to do so. Not that I don't want to re-invent the De'wI' (computer), but there is so much already available, that I shouldn't.

I currently have to first do an examination to be awarded more DarSeqmey (money) by my boss, but then I can again focus on the IKLRD.

Thanks again, and I will certainly keep the Forums up-to-date.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: