Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:42: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  General Language Discussion in English
| | | |-+  Marc Okrand video
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marc Okrand video  (Read 4551 times)
y0da777
Courier

« on: 03 04, 2008, 03:45: AM »

Have you guys seen this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4553276866205869246

[Edit -- retitled post]
« Last Edit: 03 04, 2008, 05:42: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 03 09, 2008, 10:33: AM »

I had no idea that Okrand began by starting with the lines from STI and working outward from them. I am most impressed by his concern with continuity, and wish that TIIC at Paraborg had taken notice and perhaps a few lessons.

I am also most pleased to hear that Okrand was made welcome on the set of ST3. Usually the writers aren’t allowed on-set, let alone consultants.* That (director) Nimoy checked with him after each taking involving thlingan speech raises Nimoy even higher on the Scale of Coolness. Good thing Okrand realized early on not to object too often.

It would have made for a more effective video if  Okrand had explained the meaning of the symbols he used on the board during his presentation. The phoneme inventory he uses, while not difficult to learn, is specialized knowledge that not many viewers are likely to understand.**   Does anyone know where and why this presentation was filmed, and who the intended audience was? Since film clips are used, can we assume that it is Paraborg-endorsed, if not -sponsored?

-=- Kesvirit

* I can only sigh with regret as I wish they would allow scientists the same courtesy. It would certainly help the franchise’s strained credibility.

**Addendum: The complete chart of phoneme symbols (the IPA) can be found here. Click on the image to enlarge. This Flash version of the chart incorporates sounds represented by the symbols.
« Last Edit: 03 20, 2008, 05:34: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
y0da777
Courier

« Reply #2 on: 03 09, 2008, 05:41: PM »

Im not sure why this was filmed or who it was intended for, but I do know I found it while google videoing klingon language.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #3 on: 09 27, 2010, 01:13: AM »

It was filmed as a special feature on the director's edition of Star Trek III: the Search for Spock.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: