Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:53: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Props, Accessories & Footwear
| | | |-+  Need TOS disruptors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need TOS disruptors  (Read 11616 times)
Canis
Courier

« on: 02 03, 2008, 01:17: PM »

Hi, I am new here but I think you people can help me…

I am starting a TOS live action role playing scenario which will include Klingons. I need 4 disruptors of the original series design for my Klingons, and 2 Eminiar VII disruptors (which look similar, I can supply images if necessary) which I plan to use for Orion disruptors in the game.

The weapons need to be tough enough to drop (not every player is as careful as I am with my stuff) and wood seems like a good medium for what I need.

They do not need to be perfect or painted I can handle the painting, I just need a tough disruptor at a good price, the stuff I am seeing online is way too expensive to buy several disruptors at their rates.

I hope someone here can help me out…

Thanks in advance.

Later 

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 02 04, 2008, 07:31: PM »

Really these forums are more geared to provide information for people who want to build their own props.   

Due to the many odd shapes on a disruptor, it would take a lot of time to hard carve each peice to make sure it is the right shape.  If you are looking at multiple disruptors, you really should consider resin prop kits.  They are every bit as light and more durable than wooden ones, and are easier to produce in multiples.   If you are only making a single disruptor wood might be a btter choice, but 4 wooden disruptors take 4 times as long to hand carve as one wooden disruptor.  Where as with resin, once the casts are made for the first disruptor, additional units can be molded more quickly.   Mass producing wooden disruptors is possible, but the machinery required costs thousands of dollars.

Not that I make disruptors or anythong like that, yet.  I only know because my stwp-father is a machinist who is working on making violins, another object with lots of specially curved surfaces that has to be just right. 

In particular I know that custom designs from images can also be very expensive.   If the $50 each (or so) for the resin kits are too expensive, I would recommend using toys.  I'm not sure if anyone is still making toy disruptors, but you could try to find old toys in thrift shops and such to use as your weapons.
Canis
Courier

« Reply #2 on: 02 05, 2008, 12:50: PM »

Klythe
If the $50 each (or so) for the resin kits are too expensive, I would recommend using toys.  I'm not sure if anyone is still making toy disruptors, but you could try to find old toys in thrift shops and such to use as your weapons.

Have you seen the original series disruptor kits for $50? If so, please direct me to them!!!!

I have not been able to find kits at all; and I haven't been able to find the completed props for less than $150 with some being much more expensive.

I would construct my own weapons but I do not have the equipment or the space to set it up if I did have it. So I am forced to seek someone who can make them for me.

If I can’t get the disruptors from somewhere I will (unfortunately) have to buy some cheesy looking ray guns from some local store. I do want my klingons to look good though so I am trying to get them accurate props.

Later     

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 02 06, 2008, 07:12: PM »

Well, I know New Moon props sells unfinished resin disruptor kits for $45 each, but they lack the metal rod parts, though you should be able to find something usable at a hardware store.   I've heard some good things and if I remember the bad things are mostly that they sometimes can take a while to deliver.  If you have a deadline, I would recommend communicating that up front.

BTW, one way to get the forums to mark quotes is

Code:
[quote]If the $50 each (or so) for the resin kits are too expensive... [/quote]
Canis
Courier

« Reply #4 on: 02 06, 2008, 07:33: PM »

Well, I know New Moon props sells unfinished resin disruptor kits for $45 each, but they lack the metal rod parts, though you should be able to find something usable at a hardware store.   I've heard some good things and if I remember the bad things are mostly that they sometimes can take a while to deliver.  If you have a deadline, I would recommend communicating that up front.

That is an excellent site, thanks for the suggestion; I will probably pick up their Klingon communicators.

However their disruptor kit is not the model I am looking for. I am looking for the one from the old 60s TV show. It resembles an old flintlock colored in grey and silver with a metal emitter assembly on the front. It is not nearly as complex as the movie and Next Gen models.

Oh, thanks for the “quotes” heads up as well.

Later     

Canis
Courier

« Reply #5 on: 02 06, 2008, 08:29: PM »

Klythe,

How do you place an image in the post? I could show you the weapon if I could do that.

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #6 on: 02 10, 2008, 10:10: AM »

canis,

My apologies for the belated reply. The short answer is: you can’t. The slightly longer answer is: I am working on it. In the meantime, if you will email the image to me at  kesvirit at klingon dot org , I will add it to your post if I can and post it separately if I can not.  Images need to be no larger than 50k and in .gif, .jpg, or .jpeg format.

I for one am curious to see what you are up to.  }}`: )

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Canis
Courier

« Reply #7 on: 02 10, 2008, 11:21: AM »

I have sent you the images; both are well within the size requirements.

If you have any leads on these items (for a reasonable price) please let me know.

Later

* slike_disruptor_5.jpg (3.22 KB, 160x140 - viewed 357 times.)
« Last Edit: 02 10, 2008, 11:39: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 02 10, 2008, 11:42: AM »

Unfortunately only one image will stick to a given post. It's times like this I want to take a hammer to the Forum software.

Click on images to enlarge them.

* slike_disruptor_6.jpg (2.98 KB, 160x140 - viewed 286 times.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Canis
Courier

« Reply #9 on: 02 10, 2008, 12:00: PM »

Kesvirit,

Thanks for the assistance, but I do not see any pictures.

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 02 12, 2008, 07:39: AM »

::growls. sends Fluffy after hammer::

I will see to the problem immediately. It may be a few days before you see results. PM me as soon as you see disruptors. Approach slowly to confirm that they are not aimed at you before proceeding. Words to live by... or die by. Your choice. }}: P

::air takes on a distinctive blue tone::

-=- Kesvirit

Canis
Courier

« Reply #11 on: 02 12, 2008, 12:23: PM »

I will let you know when they show up... and I will watch my step; using cover where available.   Thumbs up!

Later

Canis
Courier

« Reply #12 on: 02 12, 2008, 08:30: PM »

The disruptor images are up, thankfully they were not pointed at me!

Later
« Last Edit: 02 12, 2008, 08:53: PM by canis » Logged

Canis
Courier

« Reply #13 on: 02 14, 2008, 08:05: PM »

Klythe

I have to thank you again for the New Moon Props suggestion. I have contacted them and they may soon add the TOS disruptor to their inventory.

Hopefully it will not be too late for my LARP, at any rate if New Moon stays true to their pricing their disruptors will be far more affordable than any of the TOS disruptors currently available. 

Thanks again

Later

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #14 on: 02 15, 2008, 12:43: PM »

Last summer a group called “Profiles in History” held an auction of (primarily) science fiction TV and film props. Among the highlights: “Original Klingon Disruptor from the original Star Trek TV series that was previously on loan to the Smithsonian by Art Director Matt Jefferies. Est. $15,000 - $20,000”.

But getting back to reality -- if New Moon can’t get your arms shipment  to you in time, King of Swords sells resin disruptor kits for USD 67.50.

Wishing you good aim,
-=- Kesvirit

Canis
Courier

« Reply #15 on: 02 15, 2008, 05:03: PM »

Yea, I have considered that disruptor, I was hoping to stay in period, but if I can't get accurate weapons I see little choice but to get the movie/NG model; either that or go with a cheep cheesy generic ray gun.

I am holding out hope for the proper weapon!

Later 

The prices of the TOS disruptor are all outrageous but I might pick up a couple anyway

starfortressproductions.com has the klingon TOS disruptor for a mere $200 and the second (Eminiar VII) disruptor for $220

Roddenberry.com has the TOS disruptor kit (not built) for $279.95

So far those are the only sources that I have been able to find. But I look regularly.

Later

[Edit -- merged double post]
« Last Edit: 02 19, 2008, 05:50: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Canis
Courier

« Reply #16 on: 02 18, 2008, 01:25: AM »

I just got my first disruptor! It is a resin kit and it only cost me $53.00 on e-bay; which is a steal for that item. Now I just need 3 more and I am in business.

Later

Canis
Courier

« Reply #17 on: 02 19, 2008, 12:32: AM »

I am checking with newmoonprops.com to see if they would duplicate my disruptor for me using the one I got on e-bay as a master.

I thought it might be worth while to see if any of you would be interested in getting one once they are available.

Any takers?

Later

Canis
Courier

« Reply #18 on: 03 06, 2008, 01:48: AM »

I received the TOS klingon disruptor I ordered from e-bay today and will be forwarding it to newmoonprops.com later this week. Once they duplicate the prop you may be able to find them on their site.

I will continue the updates as more information becomes available.

Later

Kerris
Novice

« Reply #19 on: 09 23, 2008, 11:11: AM »

Hi Canis,

Your  a star to go to all this trouble, hope you get somewhere with them, they will get atleast two orders for them from me and I live in the UK.

I was contemplating trying to build my own and wanted to share how so I'll add it here, in case anyone knows a better way or just has some ideas.

For my project, I did work out a quick and relatively easy method for making the stock and body of the Disruptor in wood  and one that would only require the most basic of tools.

I first photocopied a picture of a Disruptor up to what I judged was roughly the right size and scale.

Next I took a long hard look at it then broke it down into shapes and layers.

The first layer would be as thick as the handle grip and would be cut out to the shape of the grip and carry on to encompass the basic shape of the Disruptor’s body up to where the barrel is fitted to it.

The second layer would be two slightly thinner pieces to fit on each side to bulk out the body .

Two smaller pieces forming layer three can be seen fitted to the body near the front.

All these can easily be cut and glued together.  (I’ll try to include some pictures as soon as I work out how, i'm not the most techinological of people.)

The only draw back to the plan is where to get the metal pieces for the barrel and top of the Disruptor.

One quick dodge I was planning on was to use some large dowel for the Metal Bars at the base of the Disruptor’s body, which could easily be sprayed silver.

For a more realistic weight I guess layer one could be cut from Aluminium or a light alloy scrap.

As I have said the only problem is where to get the other fittings whether in plastic or metal but if Newmoon are going to bring out a Disruptor then this isn’t as important as before.  I just hope all you guys in the US leave at least one for e in the UK?

Kerris
Kerris
Novice

« Reply #20 on: 09 26, 2008, 01:46: PM »

Hi Canis,

I took the liberty of approaching Newmoon to see where they were and I thought extra interest could only help the cause.

I got this reply back which isn't the best but not totally bad.

While there have been a couple of inquiries, we have no set plans to make
this kit.  We have one builder who is playing with some ideas in his spare
time, but that is it.

NMP

Not looking to good  so perhap if everyone who wants one or more should email them letting them know how much onterest there is out there?

Just an idea.

Kerris
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 10 02, 2008, 03:48: AM »

Hi Kerris ,

I'm afraid how much I'll spend at Newmoon props once I decide to order something.  They have so much good stuff, such a nice problem to have  Cheesy

At least they have the have the prop and are working on it from time to time, so it's only a matter of time before they release their TOS disruptor...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: