Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:27: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  The Inspirational Media Room: Klingon-related Books, TV & Movies
| | |-+  Spanish Trek Translations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spanish Trek Translations  (Read 21710 times)
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« on: 05 12, 2006, 08:17: PM »

Sulu as "Mr. Kato" is a bit disturbing

My second language is Spanish and I was lucky enough to find a few Star Trek novels translated into Spanish.  On the back cover, it mentions Kirk Spock, and... wait for it... Lt Subaru!

Kehlan

[Edit- Split from Japanese pronunciation of Klingon  -Klythe]
« Last Edit: 01 18, 2008, 08:25: AM by Klythe » Logged

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
soup_borg
Senior Courier

Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck.

« Reply #1 on: 01 11, 2008, 05:39: PM »

Star Trek in Spanish!  Where can I find those?  All I find here in Puerto Rico are, eeww  Sick, Harry Potter novels.  Lt Subaru? Who translates this stuff.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 01 18, 2008, 08:18: AM by Klythe » Logged

MCPO Saleel Ki'kaal P'V'B, son of Do'Iteq
Chief Of the Boat, USS Antares
Obsidian Fleet Task Force 21-C
Satoy'neS  [Sa- = I-you (plural) prefix; toy' = serve (a master); -neS = honorific]
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #2 on: 01 11, 2008, 06:02: PM »

Soup borg, I found them in Spain,(I useed to live there) in a shop in Sevilla to be precise.  I'll see if I can find one again and let you know who the publisher was....

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
soup_borg
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 01 11, 2008, 06:08: PM »

Spain!  You know, Spanish was my first language when I was a kid, now it's english.  But ever since moving back to Puerto Rico I've discovered that "Spanish" isn't as simple as it used to be.  Put a few people from Spain, Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela in the same room and you'll get 4 completely different versions of Spanish.  I wonder if the same applies to Klingon?  Cheesy

I'll reserve my agratitude for when you find the publisher. Wink

Satoy'neS  [Sa- = I-you (plural) prefix; toy' = serve (a master); -neS = honorific]
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 01 18, 2008, 02:38: PM »

Until Kehlan finds the publisher she has in mind, start with Grijalbo-Mondadori. It reprinted many of the early Pocket novels under the Grijalbo label. Most book stores and libraries in the US have Bowker’s “Books in Print” series on hand or net access to its databases; Bowker’s also makes a Spanish-language set. When last I used one it was indexed by author, title, and publisher. You should be able to use that to track down any in-print Spanish language Trek books.

Let us know what you find.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
soup_borg
Senior Courier

« Reply #5 on: 02 15, 2008, 10:31: PM »

I found a site for  Grijalbo-Mondadori a few weeks ago but I mistakenly entered "Star Trek" in the search function.  I wonder if I should have writter Viaje a las estrellas?  Of course, I'm sure I have the punctiantion all wrong and will get around to fixing soon...after I take care of some health issues first.  Sad

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #6 on: 02 24, 2008, 06:02: PM »

I just managed to find the books and they were published by Grijalbo Mondadori.  Interstingly although the titles are translated, for example one of them is "El gambito Klingon"  they still say "Star TRek" or in the case of TNG. Star TRek, la nueva generacion... go figure...

The Klingon gambit was published in 1993 and has an ISBN number of 84-253-2040-2

hope that helps

Kehlan
quick edit, just been to www.grijalbo.com and tried searching via spanish title, author and ISBN and every time comes up with nothing.  I know the books exist, they are sitting in front of me, there must be some way of tracking them down... is there a Spanish or Mexican ebay site? thats the only place I can think of to try.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 02 24, 2008, 09:57: PM »

quoth Kehlan:   just been to www.grijalbo.com and tried searching via spanish title, author and ISBN and every time comes up with nothing.  I know the books exist, they are sitting in front of me, there must be some way of tracking them down... is there a Spanish or Mexican ebay site? thats the only place I can think of to try.

A bad sign -- the book is most likely long out of print. As for other possible sources, as much as I deplore them you may have some success going through Amazon Marketplace and Amazon Merchants. Both work through third party sellers, and I have found some rare and out-pf-print books through them. Be prepared to do a lot of digging and link-surfing. Amazon’s site sucks rocks when it comes to navigability.

I ran “El gambito Klingon” through Google and got a few relevant hits.

This page is a poor automated traslation of this Star Trek Mania page. As far as I can tell (“That's what it is. La mayor parte estan sin estrenar, puesto que ni las llegué a leer. Most are without brand, since neither came to read. Y el estado de conservación, impecable. And the conservation status, impeccable. Y os las envio donde digais, si pagais gastos, jeje. And where you send the digais if pagais expenses, jeje. En cuanto a mis precios, los 7 euros de Ebay un poco justos, jeje, ¡solo hay que mejorarlo un poco! As for my prices, Ebay 7 euros a bit righteous, jeje, just to improve it a little! ¿Qué me contais? What I contais?”), a poster has a collection of Spanish-language Trek books they are trying to sell off. The thread is from last September; I urge you to sign up at these forums so that you can contact the seller.

Of those titles I recognize (who knows what the translator has done to the English-language originals }}: /), some are definitely better than others, and “The Klingon Gambit” wasn’t. From the list, I would personally recommend “Effect Entropia”, “The Son of Yesterday”, “The Sky Injured”, and “Children’s Hamlin”.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #8 on: 02 24, 2008, 11:24: PM »

Actualy, to be fair to the translator, regardless of the mistakes on the blurb (ie teniente subaru) the actual novels are readable.

As for that forum, bits of it have lost me but as far as I can make out 

Eso es lo que hay.this is what there is (referring to the list of books).
 La mayor parte estan sin estrenar, the majority are unused (estrenar is to use for the first time)
puesto que ni las llegué a leer. given that I havent got round to reading them.
 Y el estado de conservación, impecable. and the condition is perfect
Y os las envio donde digais, si pagais gastos, jeje. and I wll send them where you say, if you pay the costs.  Jeje is either the name of the writer or the nameof the person being addressed.
they then go on to argue about what is a reasonable price for the books.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 02 25, 2008, 11:03: AM »

Success! Spanish-reading Trek enthusiasts, bask in the glory of creative Googling and share in the spoils! Through Amazon.com en Español I have found two copies of “El Gambito de los Klingon” starting at USD9.73. A few other Spanish-language Trek books were listed too. Avoid "El proyecto Prometeo" at all costs. It is terrible and will leave you trying to claw out your brain.

Yes, Virgi- er, Kehlan, there is a Spanish eBay site. I entered “Star Trek” and hit Buscar and came up with five pages of results. I saw a lot of videos, videogames, and comic books, but no novels. But eBay turnover is high, so check back periodically.

Thanks for the translation of that Forum page. Good to know I wasn’t too far off. The translator was Google’s “Translate this page”. Machines lack the nuance necessary for translation exercises, and relying on their results is always an iffy proposition.

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #10 on: 02 25, 2008, 09:24: PM »

I'm always happy for an opportunity to use my spanish and will help tranlate where I can, although my Spanish is no longer as good as it was.

Incidentally I wouldnt mind getting hold of a copy of "el hijo de Ayer" as I did like that particular novel...  If anyone sees it at all, I'd be grateful if they let me know.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: