Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:21: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  Black Ale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Ale  (Read 7113 times)
Jon
Senior Courier

« on: 01 06, 2008, 06:39: PM »

I've seen references to "Black Ale" - {HIqqIj} or {HIq qIj}. Does anyone know what is it? Is it anything do with Klingons? What are the canon sources?
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 01 07, 2008, 10:32: PM »

I have never heard of it, where are these references from? If it is Klingon in origin then it might finally rid us of that horrible blue ale our enemies drink.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 01 08, 2008, 01:48: PM »

I first came across it in TFR. Vrenn enjoys black ale at Kethas’ estate, and Kelly has a pastry with black ale in the Fencer’s mess. I do not know of any canon references.

As to what it is? *shrugs* I know little of how alchoholic beverages are classified. Ale, lager, porter, stout... all the same to me. But I have seen black ale on the boards in divers Terran pubs. Given the widespread occurance and utter simplicity of beer (let a closed container of grain rot), many cultures have arrived at it independently (and accidentally.)

Addendum:
Because I cannot leave well enough alone when questions of classifications are involved, I ran a brief search. The results:
Ale is beer made with yeast that floats to the top of the vat during fermentation
. Ales are cloudier and tend to have a higher alcohol content than lagers (beers made with yeast that settles to the bottom.)
Porter ale is made from roasted grains that give it a very dark color and higher alcohol content. Stout is porter taken to extremes. I surmise that past a certain point, the labels of “black ale” and “stout” are interchangible.

Is there a bartender or brewing enthusiast who can clarify further?
« Last Edit: 01 08, 2008, 02:19: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Jon
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 01 08, 2008, 04:09: PM »

Thanks for that. Knowing its in TFR is a great help.
nlaing
Novice

« Reply #4 on: 08 03, 2008, 08:29: AM »

I am a beginer brewer.
Ale tends to be brewed in warmer temeratures.
Lager (German for Storage or something like that) is keep cold and ferments longer.
Ale it seems would be more appropreate for a popular Klingon drink.

The "Black" probably relates to use of heavey grains and deep malt (Molasses maybe?)
I recently made a scottish type brew that was very dark due to a massive amount of grain and unrefined malt.
It came out Sweet and "bread-y" not very hoppy or citrus like at all.
it's also 8%alc!

I'll discuss Klingon beer recipie ideas in the Klingon beer topic thread
Ky'lath
Scribe

« Reply #5 on: 08 24, 2008, 08:16: AM »

My question is if beer is of reletivily low aciholoic content, and ale is beer... than why is that disgusting blue stuff those... things so darn strong?
*ponders this*

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketsup.
Kandel
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: 12 23, 2009, 05:27: PM »

If I were to assume that Black Ale is anything like we have here (on Terra) it would be closet to Guinness Extra Dark Stout IMO, due to its black color. I have noticed that there are a lot of things called Ale by the Feddies, which may not in fact be ales at all. but as always Your Mileage May Vary.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 12 24, 2009, 02:43: AM »

I did find one Black Ale made in the US, apparently based on a Belgian recipe. It is not available in my area, so I can not try it myself. Thus, I can offer no endorsement. It is called 1554 and is made by a company called New Belgium Brewing.

qoSagh qlIStIy
KHruj
Scribe

« Reply #8 on: 12 15, 2011, 03:52: PM »

Black Ale = Guinness Stout.  Wink
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 12 15, 2011, 04:51: PM »

The other night I had the Berkshire Brewing Company's Imperial Stout. One of my dinner companions said that drinking it made him want to invade somewhere. If that is not a Klingon endorsement, then I do not know what is. I also tried a bottle of something called Black Pearle, Dark IPA recently. I have had other dark or black IPA's and thought they were good. However this one seemed less like an IPA and more like a Porter and while interesting is not going to be a favorite. So while I am a fan of Guinness, there are other options for the Klingon in search of Black Ale.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: