Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
02 25, 2018, 05:48: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11896 Posts in 1665 Topics by 691 Members
Latest Member: jackusopiffeza
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingons in the News
| | | |-+  A Klingon Christmas Carol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Klingon Christmas Carol  (Read 6189 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 12 22, 2007, 04:32: AM »

Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages 

December 5, 2007

A Klingon Christmas Carol

By Quinton Skinner

The Star Trek bug is probably something you either have or you don't; I still have fond elementary-school-age memories of going to a Trek convention and meeting the courtly, cerebral Leonard Nimoy, still willing to make that funny "live long and prosper" hand gesture probably long after his finger joints had started to ache with age. Local company Commedia Beauregard indulges the Trek infection with this one-off adaptation of Dickens's Scrooge-fest into the Klingon language (if you didn't know Klingon had been adapted into a real, living language, you've obviously escaped the contagion). Look for Klingon prosthetics, lots of guttural consonants, and, with luck, a pervasive sense of serious silliness. A silent auction benefit and other entertainments commence an hour before showtime.

Saturdays, 7:30 p.m. Starts: Dec. 8. Continues through Dec. 8, 2007 [sic]

(Sorry, all, I just found out about it.)

(Photo: A Klingon Christmas Carol. Click on photo to enlarge)

* KlingonChristmasCarol.jpg (48.49 KB, 250x223 - viewed 252 times.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 12 22, 2007, 05:20: AM »

Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages

The Blotter: Daily News Briefs From the City Pages Staff

Over the Weekend: Klingons, Churches and Coulton (Oh My)
Filed under: Over the Weekend

So, a Klingon, a minister, and a a musician walk into a bar. Bartender says, "What is this, a joke?" No, says the journalist (I left him out of the lead-in on purpose) -- it's the weekend in the Twin Cities.

This is the first of a series of Monday morning posts we'll be doing; we'll offer capsules, coverage, multimedia and such centered around 3-5 things that happened from Friday evening through the wee hours of Sunday night. The Internet doesn't sleep, folks, and neither do I.

We begin with a show that Commedia Beauregard Artistic Director Christopher Kidder promised the audience "would be like no other," and boy, did it deliver.

A KLINGON CHRISTMAS CAROL AT THE U OF M-ST. PAUL STUDENT CENTER

I'm of a rare breed, that tribe that walks the middle path on Star Trek. I'm enjoy it as a mild fan, and know most of the major stuff, but I don't -- say -- spend my nights boning up on Romulan culture or Vulan [sic] political history. This makes me in some ways the ideal audience experiment for a show like "A Klingon Christmas Carol," which brings the Dickens classic into the world of aggro aliens with forehead rivulets.

Let me say this: I think it would have been funny (if a bit surreal) even if I'd never heard of Star Trek. The bizarre bits of outer space mythos serve as the play's spice, but the clever dialogue and plotting makes this parody an enjoyable twist regardless of whether you have a strong opinion on Kirk vs. Picard.

The show was performed almost entirely in the Klingon language (which, as Kidder noted in a pre-show speech, involves quite a bit of involuntary expectoration; "You brought raincoats, right?" he asked me and the other people shortsighted enough to sit in the front row). I was foolish enough to study French and Japanese rather than this play's lingua franca, but concessions were offered -- a screen with English subtitles and a Vulcan narrator who appears throughout.

In this variant, SQuja' (Scrooge) is still a money-grubber, but it's his cowardice rather than his avarice that defines him. Instead of wanting his uncle to feast with him, nephew vreD (Fred) wants ol' SQuja' to show up at the homestead and fight. Tiny Tim (in Klingon parlance, tImHom) is still sickly, but here SQuja' is the bad guy because he won't let QachIt (the Bob Cratchit character) off work to train his son to fight.

Does SQuja' wear the sash of a true warrior by the end of the play? Or will no Klingon sing out a death howl when he dies? Well, you've seen the original, so you can probably guess. You know you want to hear how the language sounds, though, and we aim to please here at The Pages. So here's a brief burst of Klingon from the show to start you off. For a second helping, you can listen to SQuja's paramour, bel, explain that she fell in love with a Klingon, not a Ferengi.

It's funny because Ferengis are money-grubbing, and ... ah, you picked that up from context.

=====

The article continues with an account of a benefit CD recording at Kwanzaa Community Church and a Jonathan Coulton performance.

Posted by Jeff Shaw at December 10, 2007 7:00 AM

Photo: Grab the disruptors and hide the blood wine, Commedia Beauregarde is in town. No credit given on photo. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

* CommediaBeauregarde2.jpeg (45.42 KB, 668x448 - viewed 259 times.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 12 10, 2010, 01:34: AM »

Commedia Beauregard’s production of “A Klingon Christmas Carol” has achieved the dubious distinction of making the coveted Front Page spot at icanhascheezburger.com’s ROFLrazzi celebrity page (Those of you wishing to go beyond the standard battle grays and into civilian life, get an eyeful of those costumes for inspiration!)

Those of you in Minneapolis/St.Paul and Chicagoland still have a few days to see it (check here for dates and details.) CommBeau has staged “A Klingon Christmas Carol” annually for the last few years, so hopefully a new tradition is in the works. I do hope they release a version on DVD for those of us who can’t travel to see a live performance. Vulcan commentary on a Klingon interpretation of Euroterran folklore is just to good to pass up. Anyone else wanting them to help spread Klingon kulture throughout the galaxy in such a format should let them know via their contacts page.

qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #3 on: 12 10, 2010, 05:58: PM »

I highly recommend going and seeing this play if you have a chance. It's well worth the time! (and I'm not just saying that as one of the translators  Cheesy)

I went to see it opening night in Chicago and had a lot of fun.

The costumes are glorious and I'm planning on making a new civilian costume based on some of their stuff.

If everything goes well we should be releasing the script as a book as well as a DVD of the play.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: