Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 09:01: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Programmers Guild
| | |-+  Browser Woes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Browser Woes  (Read 4527 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 11 22, 2007, 09:30: AM »

(Spun off from the loltrek -- We Has Tribbles And Also Troubles thread)

Note: For some reason, the loltrek won't load properly on Firefox but has no problems with Safari. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

From the other option of Safari I understand you are using a Mac/Apple {De'wI'} computer.

Good call! Mac PowerBook G4, OS 10.3.9

Though FWIW Safari is also available for Windows; an update was released last week. Which seems kind of pointless, because what can Safari do that Firefox and Opera (both long available for Windows) can’t?

SoplaHtaHwI’:  I have the options Firefox or Opera (unix/linux), and both display the site fine, although Firefox took slightly longer to load it (but that's a "feature" of firefox).

I think I have every freely-downloadable, full-featured browser available for my computer and OS.
Exceptions: Shiira/Sunrise (wouldn’t install), Netscape (wanted way too much personal information in exchange for the download), Internet Explorer (garbage), and AOL (evil garbage). Load time isn’t really an issue; I have a 3M connection that runs at about 2.5, so I’m guessing my speed issues are processor-based.

I was able to successfully download and install Opera 9.24. Though the loltrek does download, some other images do not. I don’t know what, if anything, these images have in common. (Incorporating those java(?) “Vibrant Ad” rollover pop-ups was a bad, bad idea. I’m still working through the content blocker to try to make it go away.)

So I’ve got three mostly-working browsers that together comprise one fully functioning browser. (I think. But if an expected function isn’t working, I wouldn’t necessarily know it if I can’t see it because it’s not working. }}: \)

Is it likely that the loading problems are caused by an underlying fault with the OS software? Trying to reinstall it is a problem because the version I’m running is already obsolete and I can’t get a fresh copy. Even if I could, would reinstalling 10.3.0 over 10.3.9 cause me to lose other applications and documents? For that matter, upgrading to 10.5 (the most recent release) might also be a solution, but right now I don’t have the funds to pay for the new OS software and the additional memory it would take to hold and run it.

Further suggestions welcomed.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #1 on: 11 25, 2007, 01:04: PM »

(Spun off from the loltrek -- We Has Tribbles And Also Troubles thread)

Note: For some reason, the loltrek won't load properly on Firefox but has no problems with Safari. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

From the other option of Safari I understand you are using a Mac/Apple {De'wI'} computer.

Good call! Mac PowerBook G4, OS 10.3.9

Though FWIW Safari is also available for Windows; an update was released last week. Which seems kind of pointless, because what can Safari do that Firefox and Opera (both long available for Windows) can’t?

I have the main browsers covered by my two windowed machines (I have another machine running, but it does not have a windows environment 8-), and lynx is hiding somewhere too, in case I need to see a non-graphical interface at work...
I do not have Safari, and from a recent tip from a customer (helpdesk-geek I is), I will not install it on Windows either.

SoplaHtaHwI’:  I have the options Firefox or Opera (unix/linux), and both display the site fine, although Firefox took slightly longer to load it (but that's a "feature" of firefox).

I think I have every freely-downloadable, full-featured browser available for my computer and OS.
Exceptions: Shiira/Sunrise (wouldn’t install), Netscape (wanted way too much personal information in exchange for the download), Internet Explorer (garbage), and AOL (evil garbage). Load time isn’t really an issue; I have a 3M connection that runs at about 2.5, so I’m guessing my speed issues are processor-based.

I was able to successfully download and install Opera 9.24. Though the loltrek does download, some other images do not. I don’t know what, if anything, these images have in common. (Incorporating those java(?) “Vibrant Ad” rollover pop-ups was a bad, bad idea. I’m still working through the content blocker to try to make it go away.)

[...]

Is it likely that the loading problems are caused by an underlying fault with the OS software? Trying to reinstall it is a problem because the version I’m running is already obsolete and I can’t get a fresh copy. Even if I could, would reinstalling 10.3.0 over 10.3.9 cause me to lose other applications and documents? For that matter, upgrading to 10.5 (the most recent release) might also be a solution, but right now I don’t have the funds to pay for the new OS software and the additional memory it would take to hold and run it.

Further suggestions welcomed.
I have tested again to see how many graphics Opera allows me to see (it has a tendency to mangle javascript, which is fine by me...), but apart from the LOLtrek images, I see two other images which don't really add to the story/site...
This must indeed be a platform-related issue. As I am not a Macman, I cannot really comment on which version of the OS you need to run for your woes to disappear...

Having to pay for a newer version of the Operating system is something that eats at my Dutch pirate-heart.
I know Apple friends don't really have another option, even though the underlying system of MacOS 10 is Open Source...
I sadly would have no other solution to your predicament currently than either:

- Find (borrow) a M$ or posix (unix/linux/bsd) machine;
- Shell out the dough to upgrade your system;
- I can create a PDF of the site... 8-)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 11 25, 2007, 08:27: PM »

I use a Macintosh at home. Occasionally I'll find that the browser stops loading most (but apparently not all) images. Nothing I can do to the computer makes a difference. Not quitting/restarting the browser, not logging out and back in, not restarting the computer, not shutting it down for a few minutes and restarting it, not shutting it down for an hour and restarting it. The problem seems to correct itself overnight.

The third time this happened, I had my son check his Windows system. It also was affected, but to a much lesser extent.

Resetting the router fixed all.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 11 26, 2007, 04:14: AM »

Hmmm.   Strange.   The only way this makes sense to me is if the router has caching enabled and cached broken version of the graphics.  Unless somehow the router makes up it's own rules dynamically.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 12 03, 2007, 03:44: AM »

Belated thanks to all who have responded so far!

SoplaHtaHwIí:  This must indeed be a platform-related issue. As I am not a Macman, I cannot really comment on which version of the OS you need to run for your woes to disappear...

I am unclear on that too. I donít know whether I would do better to try to re-download my current OS of 10.3.9, or to go straight through to the current 10.5. Neither does the person I talked to at my local repair shop. However, he assures me that as long as I have enough RAM I can go straight from 10.3.9 to 10.5 without having to go through 10.4.

In any event, I canít do much without a RAM upgrade. I have a 1G card on the way. This alone may solve some of my problems. By the time it is installed I hope to have the 10.3.9/10.5 issue sorted out.

Having to pay for a newer version of the Operating system is something that eats at my Dutch pirate-heart.
I agree wholeheartedly. (Youíre a descendant of Dutch pirates too?!  }}: D  Hey howdy, cuz!)

I sadly would have no other solution to your predicament currently than either:

- Find (borrow) a M$ or posix (unix/linux/bsd) machine;
- Shell out the dough to upgrade your system;
- I can create a PDF of the site... 8-)

Unfortunately another machine on *any* platform isnít an option. Iíve only got the one. (It amazes me how the repair people think that everyone has a spare to use while they dink around not fixing mine. }}: \ )  I have to wait in line for hours to access one at the public library, and there I am restricted to web use. I canít bring my own material to work on.

I am leaning toward the upgrade. The goal is to get the new RAM installed as soon as possible, see what problems that may solve, and buy the OS 10.5 upgrade in a few month once prices start to drop. However, this brings up questions about buying used software.

I appreciate the PDF offer, but that wouldnít be putting your time to good use. Not for something ultimately as trivial as the loltrek page.

As to Qunchuyís suggestion to reset my router --

My router is a low-end, phone-company-issue, lowest-bidder piece of Ęģ@p.* It doesnít have a reset button but must be unplugged, allowed to sit for a few minutes, and plugged back in. I canít imagine it caching anything. Itís a bare-bones model that has already been gnawed upon by predators.

Not having anything to lose, I reset it anyway. It didnít make a difference either way. However, in the past, resetting it has helped to resolve (if temporarily) wireless connection problems. I believe the wireless problems are symptomatic of the same underlying problems that are interfering with my browsers and Finder functions. After any new software/programs have been installed, the Finder is supposed to ask the user for permission to update some sort of internal password chain. Only after is does so will the wireless card connect to the router. The Finder often fails to do this, and the control panel reads that the computer is receiving full signal, which it is. It just canít connect to the signal without that updated password chain. When the Finder doesnít ask for permission to update the password chain and give me a Y/N button to hit, I have no way to update the chain and get the wireless card to accept the incoming signal.

Iím sure that the browser problems, lack of chain prompts, and Finder farts are interconnected. I just havenít figured out how. But I will not be defeated by an insolent machine.

*But at least it was free!

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 12 04, 2007, 09:58: PM »

I am not aware, nor so far in my genealogical studies (it's a very infrequent passtime) to confirm I have actually descended from pirates...
I was referring to the Dutch being cheap and therefor rather pirate software than buy it...

Hooray for Open Source 8-)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: