Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:41: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum News & Announcements
| | |-+  Repeling Spam Attack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Repeling Spam Attack  (Read 4096 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 11 21, 2008, 11:45: PM »

We have spent the last tenday holding off an army of spammers. It is a long and difficult fight, and we are relying primarily on tracing IP#s and their origination domains and blocking their access with pre-emptive bans. Unfortunately a worthy poster was caught in the crossfire when his IP lay within one of those blocks and he couldn’t log in.

If you are reading this now but can’t access the Forums latter, you may be confronted by a message something like: “This IP Block has been used by Spammers. If you do wish to discuss Klingon topics, please send email to Kesvirit at Klingon.org or Klythe at Klingon.org.” Even if you can’t log in and don’t see such a message, contact Klythe or Kesvirit, both at klingon.org so that we may let you in as soon as possible.

I have no idea how long this will last, but we do have some powerful tools and a few tricks up our sleeves. I do hope it ends soon so I can get back to my first love, idea warfare.

-=- Kesvirit

Addendum: Part of the above involves suspending open and automatic account registration. All new member accounts go into a holding tank to be investigated. Only once they are cleared can the new member post. So if you know of anyone with the intent of signing up (word of keyboard being the most successful recruiting method we've had so far), please tell them that there may be a 12-24hr delay while we vet their registration information and approve the new account.

[ fixed typo in title ]
« Last Edit: 11 22, 2008, 12:19: AM by Klythe » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 12 10, 2008, 03:40: AM »

It's been several days since investigation of Forum applicants has lead to likely spammers. The most recent applicants appear to be legitimate.  I've reset the registration process back to Immediate Registration so that new members can sign up, log in, and post immediately afterward.

But the process is not complete: I must get back to ridding myself of the stench of rotten pork.  Out, g'day't stench!  Out!

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: