Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 22, 2014, 12:59: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11684 Posts in 1610 Topics by 672 Members
Latest Member: SermanyuQngan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  Raktajino
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raktajino  (Read 23794 times)
Koron Trekkan
Newcomer

« on: 11 17, 2007, 10:27: PM »

Raktajino is a hot, strong black Klingon coffee.  Feddies and terrans like it with cream and sugar.  There is a coffee company in Las Vegas called Starbase 1 Coffees that sells an officially licenced blend called Raktajino.  It is made of Arabica coffee.  Esspresso and Arabic coffee without cream and sugar, are excellent examples of what Raktajino would taste like. 
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 12 08, 2007, 03:06: PM »

My line brother and I came up with a version of Raktajino, that is nonalcoholic. Simply put, it has no need to be. From everything we know about it, it is simply a strong variety of coffee or at least something similar enough to be called Klingon Coffee by the feds. So we set about to try and figure out what is important to coffee and then magnify this. We cam up with two aspects, first was flavor, a rich strong flavor is considered better in most coffee, second was the caffeine, so we needed to increase that. An underlying goal to me was also to have a flavor that while vaguely recognizable, was also not exactly anything that we as humans had tasted before. I should also point out that I am not a coffee drinker and this version has never actually been made for real people yet. But here is what we settled on.

Equal thirds of the following three kinds of Coffee Beans
Espresso, French Roast (with Chicory) and Hawaiian Blend (Kona w/ shredded Coconut). These would then be mixed together before being ground fine, so that the flavors would achieve maximum blending.

Water, we originally planned on brewing this with a bottled water that is no longer available called Crank-2-O, it was bottled water with Caffeine but no flavorings or colorings.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
melmaqngan
« Reply #2 on: 07 28, 2008, 11:57: PM »

Raktajino is a hot, strong black Klingon coffee.  Feddies and terrans like it with cream and sugar.  There is a coffee company in Las Vegas called Starbase 1 Coffees that sells an officially licenced blend called Raktajino.  It is made of Arabica coffee.  Esspresso and Arabic coffee without cream and sugar, are excellent examples of what Raktajino would taste like. 

If raktajino is strong, wouldn't it be more suitable to use robusta rather than the milder arabica beans? I once truied a cup of local (Philippine) robusta and had heart palpitations for an hour.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 07 30, 2008, 02:08: AM »

From what I have read Raktajino is canonically non-alcoholic (Fairly safe to assume since Feddies were drinking it on duty), which is basically a Klingon Latte'.  And also there is also a very similar drink called the ra'taj[Which is a combined form that as two words would mean "Commander's dagger"], that is the alcoholic liqueur version.

Actually from what I have heard the Arabica beans are more flavourful pound per pound when prepared the same way, but Robusta can be grown in more places and overall produces a higher output.  Coffee strength of course varies not only by the beans themselves, but also how they are extracted from the cherries and processed,  how finely they are ground and how the water is infused with the grounds, and probably other things...

mmmm.  Coffee made with precaffinated water.  Excellent thinking.  Get this man some warnagh!    (a type of Klingon beer actually)
kroki
« Reply #4 on: 07 30, 2008, 03:52: AM »

Raktajino does not sound like Klingon, but raktha is Sanskrit for blood. 
That just occurred to me when I read the last unread posts.
Kaga
Scribe

« Reply #5 on: 07 30, 2008, 09:33: PM »

This is my understanding of the qa'vIn/ra'taj/raktajino triangle...

qa'vIn is simply Earth coffee as enjoyed by Klingons, that is to say exceedingly strong and black. To misquote a good line on the subject, the Klingon attitude towards coffee is like that on battle: Today is a good day to get caffeinated.  An ridiculously strong cup of black Arabica coffee would be perfect- making it with pre-caffeinated water strikes me as exactly the level of strength we should be aiming for.

ra'taj is simply qa'vIn spiked with a clear neutral spirit. Add some plain vodka or Everclear to the above.

And raktajino is simply ra'taj as commercialized in the Federation, with the spirits replaced with a nut-like flavoring, and done up in the style of an Earth cappuccino. (I got the nut-like flavoring detail from this article... this is undoubtedly non-canon, but makes sense to me...) I'd make a cappuccino with qa'vIn instead of espresso, and add a nut-flavoring, maybe in syrup form, or else substituting hazelnut-flavored beans for the Arabica in the qa'vIn recipe. There's also an iced raktajino mentioned in canon, so that could work too.

Just my two cents, anyway.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #6 on: 08 01, 2008, 04:49: PM »

In doing a bit more research...  Robusta is probably closer to the Klingon coffee.  Robusta maybe less "flavourful" to terran palates, but it is more bitter, higher in caffiene(some sites say twice the caffeine) and the plants are more resistant to disease and other hardships, something Klingons are likely to respect.  Most coffee sold is a blend of the two, enough arabica for flavour and robusta mainly to keep the cost low and provide the caffiene boost.

As with everything taste is subjective and you milage may vary...
Ky'lath
Scribe

« Reply #7 on: 08 24, 2008, 03:21: AM »

Does sound nice, but I don't touch any sorta coffee. I have had a large amount of cafeen only once in my life (from coca cola) and I went bonkers. It was not a pretty sight, I had to be excused from English class because I was bouncing off the walls.
I think me drinking Klingon cofee would be very bad for the whole world. I'll stick with my Roobis thank-you very much... and my /calming/ teas.
Hyper Ky'lath is not something you want to ever meet.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketsup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: