Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:57: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  TOS Kingon Uniform
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TOS Kingon Uniform  (Read 16189 times)
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« on: 09 23, 2007, 09:40: AM »

Hello Fellow Klingons!
A long while ago, I remember seeing somewhere here or elsewhere on the web about someone posting the accurate or approximate materials needed to make The Original Series (TOS) Klingon uniforms. Can any of you inform me or help me find this info?  I vividly recall the pants being made of gold-sequin-on-black-mesh fabric turned inside out! It's the striped gold vest that gets me. To recreate this uniform, I have thought of just finding a shimmering gold material and drawing/painting/sewing the lines in, but that would take some time. Someone out there help a Klingon brotha out.

Kaz

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Canis
Courier

« Reply #1 on: 02 15, 2008, 05:27: PM »

Well, Kaz asked his question a while ago, but with my TOS Trek LARP coming up this fall, I am also wondering the same thing.

I was also wondering if over-sized tank tops painted silver/gold would work (to keep the cost down)

Any suggestions?

Later 

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 03 01, 2008, 10:51: PM »

You can see that long sleeve black shirts with gold lame' tank tops would be pretty close to the male uniforms pictured below in this shot from the end of "They Day of the Dove".  Finding the material for the pants might be tricky.  It was probably made at one time as a single fabric.   But now a days you might have to start with simple black pants (like sweat pants) and look for a very sheer see-through gold harem pants, and stitch them together.  Though I'm not sure that would be very durable for a LARP...  TOS Klingons
Canis
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 03 02, 2008, 02:24: AM »

Klythe, Thanks for the suggestion on the pants, when I start posting on our site for this larp I will add the costume suggestions as well.

Does anyone have a good source for the klingon shoulder sashes?

Ones that are not too expensive.

Later 

[edit- Merged double post.  A lot of small messages makes the board cluttered and harder to use.  If you realize there was something else you needed to say and you recently posted, please edit and add to your previous post.  Especially if they are short.  Thanks.  -Klythe]
« Last Edit: 03 02, 2008, 11:28: PM by Klythe » Logged

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 03 04, 2008, 06:03: AM »

Regarding the pants -- if you havenít already, sift through the Uniform pants thread. There may be something there you can use.

A recommendation: It didnít occur to me until I was retrieving my own from the drier, but King Size Direct makes a mock turtleneck that would be ideal for a TOS uniform shirt. They are 100% cotton and wear like iron. The collar has just enough elastic  to hold it in place and wonít sag from the wight of rank pins. A real boon, because few things ruin the look of a TOS costume quicker than a sagging neckline. They start at a size 16 neck/42-44 chest and go up from there. If their smallest size is to big for you, you can run a seam up each side of the torso and the collar. The vest should cover any wandering seams or uneven tension in the fabric.

The downside is that King Size is currently phasing out their winter inventory to make way for summer items and may not have black in stock in many sizes. (Which is downright stupid. Itís still plenty cold in March in many, many places.) If thatís the case, check back in a few months when they start pushing the Big Deal Pre-Season Fall Sale.

Unfortunately I donít have any sash recommendations. Let us know what, if anything, you come up with.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #5 on: 07 07, 2008, 09:08: AM »

Does anyone have a good source for the klingon shoulder sashes?

I just recently mentioned TOS pants ideas on the Uniform Pants thread (basically gold fishnet over black cotton), but (though it's been a while) I'd like to answer this question (but I have to start with a quasi-tangent)-
Once, at a discount fabric store, I was wandering through the upholstery section and saw an awesome basket weave fabric made out of actual strips of fake leather woven together and loose enough to undo if need be. It was tan in color, otherwise I would have bought the whole bolt if I could. And I should have! Never seen anything like it since. It looked straight up like the material used in TOS. There is (and I did buy) a vinyl basket weave that is a solid sheet and is available at discount and online fabric stores (and once again, in tan). Hypothetically, one could take a mat knife and cut one side of the "sash" to simulate the fringe, then use a rotary tool to sand down the texture a little on the fringe (you know what I mean?) Then, lastly, spray paint it gold. Voila!

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 07 08, 2008, 03:59: PM »

I saw one fan made sash from that era, it was done by hand weaving thin gold ribbon and leaving one side loose to form the fringe. I believe the end product was then sewn with gold thread to hold it together better but I am not sure.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: