Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:15: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Programmers Guild
| | |-+  Unicode fonts, keymaps, and related topics. [May contain pIqaD characters]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unicode fonts, keymaps, and related topics. [May contain pIqaD characters]  (Read 13304 times)
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« on: 08 10, 2007, 01:06: PM »

[Note -- continued from the pIqaD keyboard thread.  Everything posted to this thread must include translations into the standardized Roman character set and English. Any and all other Forum translation rules apply. Posts lacking translations may be deleted.]

Disclaimer: I am not a programmer. I am barely computer literate (just ask Klythe) and am not completely sure what I am looking at. Having confessed this weakness, it looks like skilled Microsoft tweakers may be able to add to/improve upon the Cherry’s performance with the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 (a free download). If anyone tries this, I hope you will let us know how or if it worked.

I did this years ago and posted all the information in the KLI wiki. Just head over to http://www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Chatting%20in%20pIqaD to get everything you need.

This also works in Vista, I just tried it myself.

Test:  <pIqaD>
« Last Edit: 08 20, 2007, 01:06: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #1 on: 08 11, 2007, 02:32: PM »

qatlho'neS <I respectfully thank you), zan qurgh.

I want to customize the mapping using the Keyboard Creator, so that I can have Q on the q key (use Shift+q to assign it), H on h (again with Shift+h) and ' on the ' key as well as the z one.Would that be alright with you? Also, this pIqaD version of b seems different from the one I remember. Why is that?

I assigned Kazakh (KK) as the localization, since both the name and habits of the locale's actual owners very much agree with ours, at least from the historical point of view  Wink

Hey, how about starting a pIqaD thread in the language section?

qarSuv
« Last Edit: 10 01, 2008, 03:06: PM by qarSuv » Logged

Dream, grow and LIVE!
qurgh_

« Reply #2 on: 08 11, 2007, 07:37: PM »

There was a reason I mapped it the way I did, I think it was based on the KLI (or someone elses) pIqaD font mapping but I also wanted to make it so if you typed the romanized letters you would also get the correct pIqaD. That's the reason I didn't put anything on the lower case h, so if you accidentally typed ch you would get the   and not . The same was so with gh as well.

I made it so it was easy for us (Humans) to type and not necessarily from the POV of a Klingon using a Klingon keyboard. If it was changed to a keyboard layout with one character per key, then we would need to come up with a keyboard layout that was different from the normal QWERTY layout. I guess you could say that my layout is appropriate for a Human Klingon speaker who normally uses romanized Klingon and not pIqaD.

Oh, and the ' is already mapped to the , as well as being on the z key. As for the look of the pIqaD in the font itself, that's an issue with the Code2000 font itself and not my mapping.

If you want to change things, then go right ahead Smiley As long as people are using it then I'm glad I could contribute something back to the community. Interest in pIqaD always seemed to be limited within the "hard core" Klingon speaking community, probably because it wasn't canon and there was no easy way to use it. If you do change it and want to share your changes with everyone then I'll be willing to host it. Maybe we can create a web page for pIqaD information and multiple mappings for people to try out.

I've not done much with tlhIngan Hol for a while now, since I'm now studying Japanese, but I'll still support the work I've done in the past.

qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 08 11, 2007, 08:53: PM »

Zan qurgh,

I went ahead and did it and yes, I noticed the ' after I'd posted. For me, it was important to realize in an experiential manner that the ch sound transliterates a single pIqaD character. I don't know about QWERTY, I think changing it could be too much, as everybody is used to it and, instead of helping people to learn Klingon, it could simply frustrate them. I don't know if this old setting is efficient or not, there are rumors that it is counter-efficient for a number of alleged reasons. Perhaps if all keyboards change we'll get to reorganize the Klingon mapping?  Wink

Since the capitalizations were used just to make people pay attention to pronunciation, I found it easier to use a single character per key, with as little shifting as possible. Once I become more proficient in tlhIngan Hol, it'll be faster and easier to use.

Thank you for allowing me to do this. If you want, just tell me how to send my mapping to you and I'll do it around Monday or Tuesday next week. And thank you for the files and initial mapping.

Also, it's so cool that you are learning Japanese! How do you plan to use it?

batlh Qapla' je <Honor and success>

qarSuv

Dream, grow and LIVE!
qurgh_

« Reply #4 on: 08 12, 2007, 06:18: PM »

The program that allows you to make and change keyboard mappings also lets you package it the keyboard as an installer (I think, it's been a while).

If you manage to package it up, then you can compress the files into a zip or rar and then just email it to me (qurgh at wizage dot net). If you have time, then I would recommend changing the keyboard layout graphics (they are in the original keyboard zip file) to match you layout. Once I get the file from you I'll make a web page to host the two different layouts and give instructions on how to install them. That way people can pick either my "romanized type mapping" or your "one key per pIqaD mapping".

As for Japanese, I don't really have a plan for using it, besides talking to my Japanese friends. Smiley

   <Honor and success>
« Last Edit: 08 14, 2007, 08:31: PM by qurgh_ » Logged

Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #5 on: 08 12, 2007, 08:03: PM »

Huh HuhHuh Huh

That should be Huh HuhHuh ?? batlh Qapla' je honor and success. What you said was more like he feeds success honorably.

And if the pIqaD turns into smiley faces or unprintable debris, I'm going to leave it that way.
qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #6 on: 08 13, 2007, 07:42: PM »

Qunchuy, that's the bliss of homophony Cheesy

qurgh, I tried to send you the files, but got a "delivery failure" message. Would you send me another address at qarSuv@yahoo.com?

Dream, grow and LIVE!
Jon
Senior Courier

« Reply #7 on: 02 04, 2008, 07:39: AM »

This is chargwI' in IPA: /ʧarɣ.wɪʔ/ and in pIqaD: 
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #8 on: 07 06, 2008, 09:05: PM »

Hey, y'all; interesting stuff, this!  I've been trying to set up my own keyboard layout using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, but I get the following problem:
Quote from: Standard Output Information
Error 2020 (..\.\tempIqaD.txt, line 62):
  VK_OEM_2 (bf) found at scancode 2b and 35
Now, I really don't understand why I should be getting this error:  The only thing I've done that actually modifies scancodes is to the select the middle option on the Options dialog window.
Now, VK_OEM_2 is where I have the character  on my custom keyboard layout and the apostrophe ' on my regular, Swedish layout.  Now, as far as I can tell (from the images in the Layout Creator help file), scancode 35 refers to VK_OEM_MINUS on my keyboard...  Does anybody know what this is all about?
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #9 on: 03 30, 2010, 01:39: PM »

Might I suggest that pIqaD also be allowed in threads in the Conversation in thlIngan Hol only subforum, featuring that Romanized transliterations are included and that thread titles start with "pIqaD:" or some such?
For instance:

-------
Subject:  pIqaD:  nuq SeQpIr qon DamaSqu'

«   » !
«pagh tu'lu'mo' law' mIS» vIparHa'qu'!
-------

Translation since we're not in that subforum:

Subject:  pIqaD:  Which Shakespeare record do you very much prefer?

"Because one discovers nothing there is much confusion" ["Much ado about nothign"] I like very much!
« Last Edit: 04 01, 2010, 02:55: PM by Fraek » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #10 on: 04 10, 2010, 09:14: AM »

I am sorry to be so long in addressing Fraek’s request. I am still unable to get any legible pIqaD to show up on my screen, and as a Mod/Admin I need to be able to read everything posted in the public areas of the Forums. Let me talk tech specs with Klythe. I hope to have an answer within the next few days. The request is reasonable and I don’t think it will be a problem.

Because maintenance demands on the Admins’ time and attention are too often in regrettably short supply, questions such as Fraek’s are more likely to be spotted and to get a quick response when posted to the Forum Feedback section. Otherwise they may not be found until an Admin has an evening to set aside for content checks. If anyone has a request or concern they are reluctant to address in public, they can always contact Kesvirit or Klythe via PM or email.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #11 on: 04 10, 2010, 12:07: PM »

Thank you for your thorough response, Kesvirit.
I'll make such requests in the Forum Feedback section in the future.

!
qatlho'! {Thank you!}
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #12 on: 04 13, 2010, 04:22: AM »

{qay'be'!} (No problem!)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #13 on: 04 14, 2010, 05:07: PM »

 ▲ {Qapla'! - Success!}
qurgh_

« Reply #14 on: 05 05, 2010, 08:16: PM »

Just in case anyone is looking for an easy way to enable pIqaD on Windows Vista/7, I have a package that can be downloaded.

You can learn more about it here: http://www.wizage.net/?p=399

You can test it in my Klingon dictionary here: http://hol.kag.org/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: