Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 09:35: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  help needed - Klingon skirt measurements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help needed - Klingon skirt measurements  (Read 4865 times)
qarSuv
Courier

« on: 08 08, 2007, 08:30: PM »

Please help me.

I want to make a klingon panel skirt, b'etor-style (just panels of different lenghts over the usual pants and boots) and I need measurements. How wide is one panel at the top and at the bottom? How much fabric would go into it? How wide should the panel be before the pleats are made and afterwards? How many panels are there?

Success and honor,

qarSuv

Dream, grow and LIVE!
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #1 on: 08 08, 2007, 08:44: PM »

There are two long panels, one at the front and one at the back.  thee are four medium length panels, on either side of the two long ones and at the sides are two short panels.  They overlap each other.  I've already made one of these and in the morngin i will get it out and have another look and tell you a bit more about it then.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #2 on: 08 10, 2007, 03:42: PM »

Thank you SO much, zan Kehlan! I can't wait to get the measurements and start making it!

Dream, grow and LIVE!
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 08 10, 2007, 06:55: PM »

Ok, its a bit hard to explain without showing you what I mean but I will try. Measurements will depend on your hip measurements.

In terms of length, the longest panels come down almost to your ankles.  the shortest side panels are just below your knees and the medium ones are half way between the two.

Start with strips of canvas corresponding to the size of the panels you want to make.  Sew your strips of leather onto the canvas, folding it under along the edges to creat the pleated effect.

Each panel has four strips of leather going down its length.  On the short side panel, only two of these are actually visible as the outer strip on each side is overlapped by the medium length panel.  You can see three strips on the medium panel because it in turn is overlapped by the longest panels.  Does that make sense so far?

So you now have all your panels....  Pin them together to form a tube that fits around your hips  with the panels overlaping in the way I have just described.  (It is far too wide around the waist at this point)

Sew the panels from the hips down as far as you feel comfortable with having it flapping about.  (don't sew between the waist and the hips yet) With trousers under it you probably don't need to sew very far down.  I don't wear trousers under mine so I sewed it as far as the length of a miniskirt.

When sewing Don't forget you need a zip in it somewhere, probably at the back, so leave that seam unsewn for now.

Ok, now the waist area.  You are wearing a tube that fits snuggly over your hips, but too big on the waist.  The easist way to deal with the waist is to simply increase theoverlap on the panels until you have taken it in enough that the waist is also snug.  Sew the seams you have just taken in. 

Now you can put the zip in and sew that up.  then all that is left is to put a waistband on the skirt and it is finished and ready for wearing.

will try to produce some diagrams to show this process more clearly and post them as soon as I can.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #4 on: 08 10, 2007, 09:04: PM »

Thank you for your details. I think I get what you mean. I still need to know the width at the bottom of a long flap, a medium one and a short one and if they get less wide as you go up towards the waist. As far as I remember from the screenshots, they are trapezoidal rather than rectangular, they do and I'd like an idea as to how much.

Thanks again for your help so far.

qarSuv qemara
« Last Edit: 08 11, 2007, 09:03: PM by qarSuv » Logged

Dream, grow and LIVE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: