Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:13: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Props, Accessories & Footwear
| | | |-+  Insignia Bracers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insignia Bracers  (Read 5188 times)
L'Shar Anara Rokta
Novice

« on: 07 30, 2007, 08:14: PM »

Greetings,

I have never thought to ask what the insignia that runs along the top of the vambraces and looks like vertical lettering means?

Thanks in advance for any answers (and specualtion).

Qa'Pla,

L'Shar Anara

L'Shar Anara of house Rokta
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #1 on: 07 31, 2007, 05:49: AM »

According to Michael Okuda, who was responsible for the alien writing on the Star Trek sets, it was chosen merely for how it looks, and it means nothing.

If you insist on seeking a deeper meaning, the usual symbols correspond to b ch r D in the pIqaD mapping used by many people. Make of that what you will.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #2 on: 08 02, 2007, 05:02: PM »

L'Shar,

This answer may extend beyond the scope of the original question which Qunchuy expressed nicely, but here goes...

There have been many discussions about this point over the years, and, this has lead to many Fanon interpretations and alternate designs. Within Klin-dom (Klingon fandom), uniform decoration and interpretation is often widely reinvented to suit the needs of the group or individual in the absence of clear significance coming from TPB of PB [The Powers that Be of Paraborg].

I have, for instance,  seen people replace the standard on screen glyph (Which is what folks often refer to them as, i.e. "Gauntlet Glyphs"), with their Family/House/Line name, their Military branch of service, their ship or other unit name, and even their honorific.

So, while it is always good to know the actual intent of PB, it is also good to know that there is latitude in how one might design their own uniform, including coming up with unique meanings and interpretations of some of the eye-candy elements such as the Gauntlet Glyphs.

So, are you researching this for personal understanding and clarification? Or are you in the process of putting a uniform together, with such research going towards that end? Or maybe something else alltogether?

maj!

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 08 02, 2007, 10:04: PM »

I have, for instance,  seen people replace the standard on screen glyph (Which is what folks often refer to them as, i.e. "Gauntlet Glyphs"), with their Family/House/Line name, their Military branch of service, their ship or other unit name, and even their honorific.
My own costume's wrist covers bear symbols spelling out the Klingon words nIH right (side) and poS left (side). (I generally take care to wear them on the side matching the word, but the next time I have the occasion to put on the outfit in the presence of people who can read it I might do it backwards on purpose just as a joke.)
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #4 on: 09 09, 2013, 03:42: PM »

I know this hasn't been discussed recently at all, but I just made some out of thin brass that I pinned on the gauntlets.

I chose to use the word for power on one side and the word for control on the other. The meaning I intended is something like  " power is useless if one cannot control it".
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 09 09, 2013, 07:42: PM »

I like the idea of making them into a sort of motto. I can see that being used by specific houses or military units to great effect.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: