Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:32: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  What's your favorite Klingon recipe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite Klingon recipe?  (Read 9686 times)
tmk1000
Old Guard
Klingon Conversationalist

« on: 10 24, 2003, 10:13: PM »

You might want to take a look at some of the good recipe in Dars Galactic
Cookbook:
galacticcookbookrecipe
« Last Edit: 12 18, 2003, 02:47: AM by Ambassador Lady K'Zin » Logged

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 11 12, 2003, 02:33: PM »

Perhaps Lady K'Zin will honor us with House Kasara's famed Tribbles-n-Bits recipe, if she can get it out of her chef...  

In the meantime, I will try to find my recipe for tribble haggis. I do not know that it was ever properly recorded.  The ingredients are very hard to aquire even in most Terran jurisdictions and I do not have the proper permits, so I cannot experiment until I get it right and document the process.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 11 15, 2003, 11:29: PM by Ambassador Lady K'Zin » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 03 25, 2004, 07:13: PM »

I think perhaps one of my favorites, but I will add not one of most of my house members, was a peanut soup I made at a feast once. The basic recipe came from colonial Williamsburg. Crunchy Peanut Butter, stirred into chicken broth with some celery. For my version I made a couple of changes. No celery was added, I though non functioning vegitables were just not Klingon. I also used a 50% chicken stock, 50% beef stock mixure to give a darker color and make a less recognizable taste. I also used an all natural Peanut Butter, that was one of those ones you have to stir to mix up all the oil. It waws a kind of half way between crunchy and creamy style that I thought had a better flavor and texture. Most of the non-Klingon guests were affraid to comment, however Klingons never miss a chance to be brutally honest. My line brother did not care for it, nor did his mate. I have been warned that serving it again will cause combat....I can not wait for the next time.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 03 26, 2004, 04:48: AM »

Zan qoSagh, what do you call the dish described above? It sounds similar to one of mine consisting of a base of crushed peanuts, peanut butter (drained of oil -- both peanuts and peanut butter are very greasy), chicken, shredded spinach, carrots, and any other vegetables I may have on hand that are good and ripe.

So far I have yet to present it to an alien who cannot at least tolerate it; some have developed quite a taste for it. I think your recipe will be more palatable to non-Klingons if you leave out the beef products.

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 03 26, 2004, 05:03: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 03 26, 2004, 11:24: PM »

The colonial name was simply peanut soup. I never gave it a Klingon name. I liked it with the mixed broth, however when made with only the chicken broth the peanut flavor really shows through. I have also thought of making this with chunks of meat like a stew, but have never tried that. I have also thought of trying with different nuts, I was thinking of almonds or pistachios but again I have yet to try this.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 03 27, 2004, 10:50: AM »

I'm just wondering:

It all sounds very yummy (or not so yummy as the case may be), but did Kurn not say Klingons don't like dead or indeed half-dead animals for food?

Note that I am not much of a cook, and the people around me that do cook aren't much in a Klingon mood...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
M_Sogha_KDar
Novice

« Reply #6 on: 12 21, 2005, 04:13: AM »

Need you be reminded that Kurn is by no means an expert on what All Klingons do or Do not like to eat, But he was very opinionated, Hmmmm what would Rodak say?

Imperial Marine captain. K' Dar tai-Veska
melmaqngan
« Reply #7 on: 07 31, 2008, 12:11: AM »

I recall Klingons liking unsweetened chocolate. I think what they would really like would be the chocolatlh as presented to the conquistadores, which, IIRC, consisted of cacao, chilis and water. (One contemporary recipe suggests the addition of broth.)
Kaga
Scribe

« Reply #8 on: 07 31, 2008, 02:16: AM »

I made Xocoatl once... unsweetened cocoa mixed with water, with a good amount of chili-water in it too, thickened with corn meal... I made one of the more palatable authentic variations, flavoring it with vanilla and honey (though, to be fair, I'm sure honey squeezed from a plastic bear isn't what the Aztecs envisioned, and I didn't have any vanilla beans, so I used extract), but it still wasn't to my liking. I suppose it would be superior to sickly sweet mass-produced chocolate treats, though, at least in the eyes of a true Klingon.  Cheesy
melmaqngan
« Reply #9 on: 08 06, 2008, 05:48: AM »

There is one Terran (Chinese, actually) dish I've heard of which I'm surprised never made it into Klingon lore.

You take a live fish, then score the flesh, season (while the thing is still alive, mind you), then fry the body in fat. (The head is wrapped in a wet towel.) Serve on a plate with sauce and with chopsticks pick at flesh of the the poor, still, living beast.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #10 on: 08 06, 2008, 07:36: AM »

I had a Star Trek/Star Wars crossover RP, were my Klingon character got captured by the Rebel Alliance.  He refuses to talk, doesn't even say "I won't talk", pretending not to understand the language at all, but they aren't buying that as all the other Klingons they've seen were speaking English.  Suddenly is stomach rumbles and they instant jump to get him food.   One player using Out of character knowledge of Klingons eating gagh, suggested something like "something half cooked and still alive".   I must admit the thought of taking special action to ensure an animal survives a normally fatal preparation, long enough to be served and eaten live disturbed be in and out of character.   

Gagh isn't tortured, it is kept alive and healthy, until it is ready to be eaten, sauce is added that starts to kill it, then it is eaten ideally before it completely dies.   There is no precedent for what amounts to animal torture just for a meal.  I'm not saying Klingons don't eat live food, clearly they do.  I'm not saying Klingons dodn't engage in torture, clearly they do torture people to gaon information.   But to my understanding of Klingons understanding of death, food, honor and torture, that it would be considered within the confines of honor to take special effort to keep an animal alive and in pain for as long as possible.  Part of the skill of gagh is the timing, to serve it at just the right time...   Everything Klingons do is to show their strength and skill, to prove their superiority.  But what honor is there in torturing fish?   It's not like it's going to talk....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: