Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 08:15: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  The Inspirational Media Room: Klingon-related Books, TV & Movies
| | |-+  Klingons on Television
| | | |-+  Who was your favorite Klingon on TV?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was your favorite Klingon on TV?  (Read 17588 times)
tmk1000
Old Guard
Klingon Conversationalist

« on: 10 24, 2003, 09:39: PM »

Was he or she out of TNG, TOS, Enterprise, Voyager, or the movies; tell us! ;)
« Last Edit: 02 11, 2004, 03:53: AM by Ambassador Lady K'Zin » Logged

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 10 28, 2003, 04:44: AM »

My favourite Klingon from the Federation propaganda films and broadcasts is Gowron (TNG/DS9) folloed by Kor(TOS++, TAS--, DS9--) and Maltz(ST3).   Although I intensely dislike most of TNG and large parts of DS9.   On a good day Gowron's intensity would slice through the Federation's pomposity and for a while, the universe would make sense.
Bernard
« Reply #2 on: 02 10, 2004, 09:41: PM »

For me too, it's a shame Worf kiled him. Sad  
KMel_K'Tarra
Old Guard
Scribe

Huntin' boots......Tennis Shoes.....

« Reply #3 on: 12 11, 2005, 04:23: AM »

The list is long so bring a towel and a blanket and a sack lunch and a sleeping bag and a flashlight and a hand warmer......and a telescope for us astronomy junkies....and a phone to call out a pizza...or take out chinese.
Kang, Kor, Koloth, Gowron, Kurn, General Martok, Kruge, Mara,  (funny how that came out Kang on top of Mara) Kahless, and the rest of them doods.

Now to Sharpen our blades....
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 12 11, 2005, 01:30: PM »

Selecting One, Would Require me to State Emphatically that Kor (TOS Version), would Rate High, possibly Number 1...

However, Christopher Lloyds Portrayal of Commander Kruge in ST III: TSFS, was Beyond Compare or perhaps Equal... I Really Like Kor, but man Kruge was "The" klingon...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #5 on: 12 14, 2005, 04:17: PM »

I agree that Kruge was quite possibly one of the best Klingons.  I must say that my favorite Klingon would be Mark Leonards Klingon captain in TMP..... Grin just kidding. He only had one line and while he did it well there needs to be more to base an opinion on.  I would have to say that my favorites are, in order of greatest to least.  Kor, Kruge, Kang, Martok, Koloth, Worf*, Gowron and Brigadier Karla.
Chang ranks pretty high on my list but I have not decided where because he was portrayed as dishonorable.

*While not the best Klingon based on the Empire's standards, He has a good handle on his personal honor. And is an interesting character to watch.
J'Maq
Senior Courier

« Reply #6 on: 12 30, 2005, 08:54: AM »

Tony Todd as Kurn. Although the character of Kurn was sabotaged in the DS9 episode "Sons of Mogh," Writer Keith DeCandido brought Kurn--now Rodek--back and installed him as a member of the I.K.S. Gorkon's crew.

J'Maq, son of Maal
Member of House Reshtarc
Klingon Archivist
"The character of a Klingon warrior is measured not only by the metal of his blade--but also by the mettle of his heart."
ShinRa
Senior Courier

Mad? Madmen get the job done.

« Reply #7 on: 02 13, 2006, 04:06: AM »

General Chang.

he was mental, but BY KAHLESS DID HE KNOW HOW TO GET STUFF DONE  Tongue
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #8 on: 06 05, 2006, 10:34: AM »

Kor, Kurn, Kruge...
Not sure about Kruge. I have to re-watch ST III...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 06 06, 2006, 03:09: AM »

Kor, Kurn, Kruge...

It's worth the time... Usually I stick by the *Even* numbered Treks are the *Good* Ones philosophy... But because of Lloyd and company I make an exception for ST: III...

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #10 on: 06 07, 2006, 03:14: PM »

Kor, Kurn, Kruge...

It's worth the time... Usually I stick by the *Even* numbered Treks are the *Good* Ones philosophy... But because of Lloyd and company I make an exception for ST: III...
I'm still quietly entertaining my plans to watch all of trek in one go... +/- 700 hours... I am not so picky 8-)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #11 on: 06 22, 2006, 12:32: PM »

I would have to say my alltime favorite is Kor, I think his life was the example a Klingon should emulate, right down to his one BoP on a dozen or so Jem Hadar warships to by time for the fleet.
Durek
Novice

« Reply #12 on: 06 23, 2006, 11:41: PM »

For me too, it's a shame Worf kiled him. Sad  
Worf did the Empire a favor by killing that bug-eyed petaQ.
« Last Edit: 06 24, 2006, 04:43: PM by Durek » Logged
X'na
Courier

« Reply #13 on: 06 25, 2006, 04:22: PM »

Tony Todd as Kurn. Although the character of Kurn was sabotaged in the DS9 episode "Sons of Mogh," Writer Keith DeCandido brought Kurn--now Rodek--back and installed him as a member of the I.K.S. Gorkon's crew.

I have to agree. I love Tony Todd as an actor anyway, and he always brings such depth to any role he portrays. Even when he plays bad guys in some movies I've seen with him, you feel for his character.

Plus I really liked the character of Kurn.

"I treat everyone the same until they prove themselves an idiot".
X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Captain of the Lion's Klaw
Proud Member of House Ab'Qaff
Kash
Scribe

« Reply #14 on: 12 08, 2006, 07:29: AM »

If I have to limit my choices to TV in this thread, i'm gonna say either Kor or Martok. I know a lot of fans don't like Martok, but he's honestly the only reason I kept watching DS9 long enough to get into the Dominion War episodes (being a warmonger, I enjoyed that arc).

on a side note, am I the only one that *always* hated Gowron?
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 12 08, 2006, 06:55: PM »

If I have to limit my choices to TV in this thread, i'm gonna say either Kor or Martok. I know a lot of fans don't like Martok, but he's honestly the only reason I kept watching DS9 long enough to get into the Dominion War episodes (being a warmonger, I enjoyed that arc).

Yeah, I did not do a great job of isolating TV characters in my post...<Chuckle>... And my fondness for the Character of Kor is well known...

As to Gowron... That is a tough question which must be answered on several levels (For me anyway)...

- Politics: Gowron had an agenda that was in keeping with a "Traditional" or conservative Klingon standard. Though ambitious, he was not so ambitious that he would forsake the "Old-ways". I saw him as a reasonable replacement for K'Mpec.

- Fan Experience: From a Fan perspective, Robert O'Reilly was/is a Fan of the Fans. He seems to genuinely enjoy interacting with klingon Fans however nutty, and that extends to "Playing Gowron" at cons which is really a blast to be a part of when it happens. Until Hertzler came along no one else was really doing that. (To my experience anyway)... This translates to his being a fan favorite for those who have interacted with him.

- Role-play: From a Role-play perspective, my House (The H'Nter), supported Duras over Gowron, until his complicity with the Romulans was revealed. Interestingly, the first chapter of K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet that I commanded (The I.K.V. Bone Crusher), had two members of the Duras family as part of the crew. (Which is how the Role-play worked out for our supporting Duras over Gowron)...

As to Martok... His politics are much more in-keeping with a Federation-friendly Empire, which from a purely Klingon perspective makes me shudder. But from a Human perspective I understand. The basic idea behind which, is that Klingons stop fighting Klingons long enough to rebuild the Empire.

From a historic perspective I think that Martok was picking up where Gorkon left off, in terms of refashioning the Empire into a society capable of living with its neighbors, rather than simply competing with them. Again from a Human perspective I understand this and can appreciate it. From a Role-play Klingon perspective I fear for the loss of "The Old Ways" at the hands of a good intentioned if mislead leader such as Martok.

All of this having been said, I would happily watch a Klingon-centric new series with Martok playing a lead role.  Like O'Reilly, Hertzler is not affraid to "Play" with the Fans, and this makes him a lot of fun to interact with at cons.

Kash
Scribe

« Reply #16 on: 12 09, 2006, 12:17: AM »

I saw things much differently; to me, Gowron seemed to be out to make a name for himself, instead of securing the best interests of the Empire. That being said, Rober O'Reilly is *awesome*. I just hate his character. Wink

Martok appealed to me not as a politician, but as someone who seemed to look after the honor of others as much as his own. He seemed more of the soldier-ey type than Gowron, which I guess is what drew me to that character initially.
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 12 09, 2006, 02:56: PM »

Like I said, Gowron had political ambitions, so of course he wanted a name for himself, but his basic politics were more "Traditional" of what we might expect of Klingons... (A few exceptions such as sparing Quark not withstanding huh)...

Martok on the other hand was not "Seeking" power, he was simply a very good leader who survived long enough to be in the right place at the right time. Remember, that it was not Martok who took Gowron's life, thus securing the throne, it was that rascal Worf and his meddling in things he is not Klingon enough to understand.

There was no right of succession there. There was no shifting of power from the man killed in battle to his challenger. It was a questionable succession if you ask me. But then I am also glad that Worf did not become the new Chancellor.

Now go back to Kor, and we see a man who would never have allowed another to secure the throne for him!

Now those are all the opinions of my Klingon Persona, who happens to be a whole lot more conservative in his ideals than am I in the "Real World". My Human side loves the character of Martok because he is "A man of the people".

Further, think I understand why the writers had Worf do the deed of Killing Gowron, which is likely two fold. On the one hand it gave fans a chance to see Worf do something "Studly". And on the other it allowed Martok to take his stand of Klingons not killing Klingons (Why do I always think Planet of the Apes when I say that Wink, without appearing to be a hypocrite.

Just my two Darseks, mind you. I am not trying to change anyone elses mind I assure you.

maj! {Good}...

Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 12 10, 2006, 05:51: AM »

This is all my personal opinion, things I like to see in people.  I loved Gowron for his energy and passion. Gowron Excudes.  Martoq is a heavier character like Worf is.  He doesn't move so freely as a character.  Gowron was a force of nature.  He wanted what he wanted because he heard it in the voice of his blood.  I never heard anything from Gowron's mouth that sounded like he wasonly seeking a name for himself.

I really have to question Martoq's ability as a leader as indecisive as he was.  Ambition is fine and is to be encouraged in the empire, as an ambitious warrior takes larger chances, but when he is right he may have a series of huge vicotries..  When they are wrong, there is a series of small defeats or one larger defeat, after which time they are challenged and removed.   Martoq failed to either quash Gowron's perception of him as a political threat or to make good on that threat.  It was Martoq that forced Gowron's hard, to discredit Martoq to force a challenge, or for him to swear loyalty and denounce that he would seek to be Chancellor.

I think we all seem to agree we hate how it came down.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #19 on: 12 10, 2006, 07:59: AM »

I really have to question Martoq's ability as a leader as indecisive as he was.  Ambition is fine and is to be encouraged in the empire, as an ambitious warrior takes larger chances, but when he is right he may have a series of huge vicotries..  When they are wrong, there is a series of small defeats or one larger defeat, after which time they are challenged and removed.   Martoq failed to either quash Gowron's perception of him as a political threat or to make good on that threat.  It was Martoq that forced Gowron's hard, to discredit Martoq to force a challenge, or for him to swear loyalty and denounce that he would seek to be Chancellor.

I don't agree with you here.  I can see no failure oin Martok's part unless it can be considered failure to take the troops and lead them to victory in battle after battle.  The defeats began only when Gowron interfered.

Martok did indeed declare his loyalty, stating clearly that to challenge the chancellor in a time of war would be treason and he would not do it.  There was no indecisiveness there, only loyalty.  (Earlier, yes.  He took a long time to recover from his captivity and it took Worf challenging him to remind him of his Klingon blood but surely after the dishonour of having been captured and the events that took place as a result this is understandable)

Other than that, I can only add that I love both characters for different reasons. 

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 12 14, 2006, 06:45: PM »

So instead he accepted the mantle of leadership from the very traitor did challenge during war?  Iinstead of challenging him or having him arrested for treason, Martoq instead rewarded treason with a cushy job as Ambassador to the Federation?  That still doesn't help him any in my book.   It's hard to hold characters responsible for their actions, but given Martoq's actions after Gowron's death I think there is some justification in his view that what Martoq said may not have been the whole truth in his heart.
torqey

An honorless klingon is like a profitless ferengi!

« Reply #21 on: 04 10, 2009, 06:37: AM »

I would say Martok (DS9) Worf (TNG&DS9) Leskit (DS9) Gowron (DS9)

3 Jem'Hadar battle cruisers? No problem. A tribble on the bridge? Call for backup and send your strongest warriors.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #22 on: 09 16, 2010, 08:31: AM »

I also always hated him. He was a good character, though. He was a better chancellor than Duras could have been. The only time Gowron was a sympathetic character and I could support him was in "House of Quark." Many may disagree with me, but I didn't see Gowron as "un-Klingon" in that episode. He surprised me.

My favorites: Kang, K'Ehleyr, Kruge, Kurn (if anyone knows a canon way to spell his name in Klingon, let me know), Martok, Grilka and Korax. No one mentions Korax. Man, could he antagonize and insult. I was disappointed that they never mentioned him in the later show, as he was Koloth's first officer and I always wondered how he would end up. Kurn was awesome. I wish they hadn't ruined him like they did. Sad Only THREE EPISODES? Man, Kurn would have been an awesome chancellor. He was more traditional than Gowron, more honorable, less irritating AND just as awesome a character. Seriously, hearing Gowron speak or move his face was always a treat, and Kurn had that "I'm always pissed (angry, for you Brits) and battle hungry" stereotype that is associated with Klingons, but never really mixed and expressed quite so well with anyone else but Kurn. Seriously, the man sounded as if he was always seconds away from throttling someone to death. Not even Kruge or Kang can make that claim.

Honorable Mentions:
And Klaang was pretty cool as the studly, gibberish spouting bruiser, I guess. The crew of the IKS Pagh were also cool, I just can't remember their names.

In a non-canon example, has anyone formed an opinion about J'mpok, the new chancellor who killed Martok?

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
J. Hughes
One Post Wonder

« Reply #23 on: 06 22, 2013, 10:09: PM »

The list is long so bring a towel and a blanket and a sack lunch and a sleeping bag and a flashlight and a hand warmer......and a telescope for us astronomy junkies....and a phone to call out a pizza...or take out chinese.
Kang, Kor, Koloth, Gowron, Kurn, General Martok, Kruge, Mara,  (funny how that came out Kang on top of Mara) Kahless, and the rest of them doods.

Yes it is a real big list which have already made me sleepy...
voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #24 on: 09 08, 2013, 02:18: AM »

I don't recall J'mpok, when was it that he became chancellor?

I was not at all pleased with what Kurn's so called brother did to him in Sons of Mogh. However when I read the I.K.S. Gorkon stories the first time, I found myself liking Rodek to the extent that I was rooting for his memory of Kurn to stay submerged. Only because, to Rodeks knowledge, his honor is not in question. He should not, as Rodek, be penalized for the dishonor Kurn was subjected to. Keith R.A. DeCandido has done a great job redeaming  Kurn/Rodek.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: