Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 19, 2018, 01:42: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  What WON'T a Klingon eat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What WON'T a Klingon eat?  (Read 29704 times)
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #25 on: 08 27, 2008, 12:09: PM »

The bit a few pages after Kuraks comment definatly would support Kehlans comment It says that the resurant's patrons are mostly vulcanoid or off world with a quarter of the customers being Klingon. Also with the Mushy brussle sprout comment it supports that too. "Unlike humans who tend to cool all the flabour out of there dishes Vulcans geberally only cook it long enough to remove potential viruses and germs.They also had an appreciation for spice that surprised leskit". So i guess tha supports several ideas about klingon preferances being towards fairly strong dishes that tend towards the lightly (If at all) cooked

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #26 on: 08 29, 2008, 12:25: PM »

While my ideas on what Klingons eat or don't eat are very different from my personal real life tastes, I suppose the two are intertwined in that I wouldn't eat something as a Klingon that I wouldn't as a human. That being said, I tried sushi for the first time, because I was told that it would be cool to see a bunch of Klingons eating in a sushi bar, and there was one next door to the hotel where we were at a convention. After that it became a tradition to have sushi in full make up at least once during every convention, which lead me to eating sushi on a fairly regular basis to this day.

It is funny that McDonalds is mentioned because that is a pet peeve of mine, when you see a large group of Klingons gathered and they are eating fast food off of the paper wrappers. Nothing ruins the illusions we are trying hard to create than something like that. If you are going to drink Pepsi, put it in a mug, if you are going to eat a Big Mac, take it off the paper and get your hands dirty like a Klingon.

As for Vegetables theere is a klinonasse word flansopra that means leaf eater and is a very serious insult. That leads me to believe that leafy vegetables are probably out. I think that grains and root vegetables might be possibilities, but probably not as stand alone dishes. I can see Potato Bread or possibly something like a stew with various chunks of roots mixed with the meats.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #27 on: 08 29, 2008, 06:28: PM »

Yes, I'm with Kvoth on this one.  The presence of a restaurant in certain sectors of the center of governance of an empire does not imply that the restaurant is for the native government.   Foreign dignitaries need to eat too.

Not only is the idea of eating leafy greens shunned by speakers of klingonaase, it's also shunned by speakers of tlhIngan Hol.   The word used for such food is tI (vegetation), and it is one of the few words that end in a vowel without a glottal stop.  This unusual form of a long dragging vowel is said to be as displeasing to the Klingon ear as eating vegetation is to the stomach.

Of course we know grains are somehow an important part of the Klingon diet.  TOS:"The Trouble with Tribbles" and Pawns and Symbols, as regular readers remember as a novel sequel to the episode, made it pretty clear that grains are on the menu, but not exactly how they are prepared and served.
Ky'lath
Scribe

« Reply #28 on: 08 30, 2008, 05:03: AM »

Plus, we all know that salad is murder!
EAT MEAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketsup.
melmaqngan
« Reply #29 on: 11 12, 2008, 06:25: AM »

Maybe stale sushi

We once had a celebrity foodie over, one of those guys who's eaten everything in his travels. Predictably, he was asked what his worst food experience was. He said it was in Iceland, and he had marinated shark.
Nagaloo
Novice

« Reply #30 on: 09 16, 2009, 06:51: PM »

As for liver --- you wouldn't eat the bio-filter off your transporter so why would you eat the filter from a cow or anything else ? Tongue
Stewart
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #31 on: 09 17, 2009, 01:51: PM »

Unless you were hungry and had an upcoming battle

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #32 on: 09 18, 2009, 09:37: AM »

Or were trying to avoid the kinds of blindness that accompany Vitamin A deficiencies.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Nagaloo
Novice

« Reply #33 on: 09 18, 2009, 05:53: PM »

Don't get me wrong I love a slightly seared t-bone or some other nice thick cut but all kinds of veggies have vit "A" too sweet potato, carrots, butter, pumpkin, eggs, peas, gee I am getting hungry.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #34 on: 10 13, 2009, 08:51: AM »

I'm with Nagaloo on the liver.... would rather go blind...

Funnily enough was in Vienna (Austria) for a few days and we ate in a local restauarant.. one of the dishes listed as local food was Heart/Lung hash.  No, I didnt try it.  Suspect a Klingon might like it though

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #35 on: 03 17, 2010, 03:08: PM »

I think what I/ A klingon wouldn't eat also may depend entirley on circumstances like whether he or she knew what it was. I remember my dad telling me when i was younger that he in many contries had eaten what would considered horriffying things but as he hadn't been told it was just food. Having found out after the fact it was simply a case of "Ah right..." It worked getting me to be not quite as fussy aswell so it may work for a warrior. Simply present it and wait.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: