Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 08:24: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  The song "bagh Da tuH mogh"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The song "bagh Da tuH mogh"  (Read 11903 times)
ralwI'
Novice

« on: 03 05, 2007, 06:41: PM »

tu'lu' mu'meyvam,TNG-episode-Birthright-vo'; Hoch vIjaHbe':

Bagh Da tuH mogh
ChojaH Duh rHo
 yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH

majaq. 'o' tugh
iDaq. majun.
pa'Daq jagh baH!
ou' lo' tlhuHQo'!

tep lagh negh 'uH
mughato' tu'
yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH

wo' naj, cha' DIch
Do' chIj, wa'DIch
'ejDo' 'el Da'
Qib'a' bopar

yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH
yIjah, Qey' 'oH

tlhIngan QaQvo' mu'meyvam'e' 'a' ? vIjaHbe' jIH.

naDev tu'lu' mu'mey "song" je: http://members.shaw.ca/iksbloodoath/klingon_songs.htm (tlhIngan HolDaq "song" nuq?)

Satlho' 'ej Qapla'!
· ralwI' ·

taH pagh taHbe'
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 03 05, 2007, 06:59: PM »

Why are you posting this in the “Requests for Translation” section? Do you need an English translation of it? If so, we need to know that in English! Other posters shouldn’t have to guess at your meaning or motivations.

Please review the Forum Etiquette and Posting Guidelines. Among other things, they state:
If your post includes words in tlhIngan Hol, please provide an English translation somewhere within the post unless you are posting in the "Conversation in tlhIngan Hol only" section.  Either line by line or in footnote form is fine for the translations; if you can get creative without getting confusing, so much the better. Posts lacking translations may be deleted.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #2 on: 03 05, 2007, 07:33: PM »

This isn't really in Klingon, at least, not in the Klingon found in the Klingon Dictionary.  Some of the words are similar, but they don't make any sense in the context.  You can't rely on any Klingon that appears in the Star Trek TV shows (the movies are another matter). The writers just seem to make it up on the spot. Sometimes they almost make sense, but I think it's just a coincidence.

For example, the first line Bagh Da tuH mogh:

bagh 'to tie'
Da 'to act as'
tuH 'be ashamed' or 'military maneuver'
mogh 'be frustrated'

Doesn't mean anything to me.  We could guess that they all have the 3rd person subject 0-prefix, in which case they'd be "he ties/acts as/is ashamed/is frustrated", but the first two verbs would need an object (ties what, acts as what?).  The rest is similar. I think its just gibberish.

BTW, the word for "song" is bom.

ralwI'
Novice

« Reply #3 on: 03 05, 2007, 10:49: PM »

Ah! (toH! in fact)  I beg your pardon; I should have read more closely.

I greatly appreciate the responses!  Thank you kindly.  I'll translate my novice Klingon:

tu'lu' mu'meyvam,TNG-episode-Birthright-vo'; Hoch vIjaHbe':

There are these words from the TNG episode "Birthright."  I don't understand them all.

tlhIngan QaQvo' mu'meyvam'e' 'a' ? vIjaHbe' jIH.

Are these words from good Klingon?  I don't understand them myself.

naDev tu'lu' mu'mey "song" je: http://members.shaw.ca/iksbloodoath/klingon_songs.htm (tlhIngan HolDaq "song" nuq?)

Here are found the words and the song [which I now know is bom, thank you to teresh] . . . (what is "song" in the Klingon language?)

Satlho' 'ej Qapla'!
Thank you, and success!

taH pagh taHbe'
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #4 on: 03 10, 2007, 02:23: PM »

Here is an audio file.
TelpeH
Novice

« Reply #5 on: 07 28, 2017, 07:22: AM »

Why are you posting this in the “Requests for Translation” section? Do you need an English translation of it? If so, we need to know that in English! Other posters shouldn’t have to guess at your meaning or motivations.

Please review the Forum Etiquette and Posting Guidelines. Among other things, they state:
If your post includes words in tlhIngan Hol, please provide an English translation somewhere within the post unless you are posting in the "Conversation in tlhIngan Hol only" section.  Either line by line or in footnote form is fine for the translations; if you can get creative without getting confusing, so much the better. Posts lacking translations may be deleted.

-=- Kesvirit

Welp. I gotta problem with that. See its not actually in Klingon its in jibberish. So how could you possibly translate gibberish into English?
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 08 06, 2017, 08:40: PM »

So how could you possibly translate gibberish into English?

I have heard liquor helps.

Seriously though I have always thought of this sort of thing as Ancient or Archaic Klingon, a form that we may not be able to translate but is still used currently in the form of folk songs and other artwork.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #7 on: 08 23, 2017, 05:10: PM »

Maybe a better place for this would be the forum for Klingon music.  But if the intent was to ask for a translation of Klingon to English, I think it is fine here.

Still I'm not sure what the problem is.     If it's not tlhIngan Hol, it does not need a translation. Tongue    Until it becomes a known dialect that is.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: