Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:16: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingon Events & Activities
| | | |-+  Klingon banquet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon banquet  (Read 8831 times)
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« on: 02 17, 2007, 11:59: AM »

The idea of a Klingon banquet is not a new one - there has been talk for a long time but for various reasons it never happened.

Well, I'd like to make it happen. 

It will be a UK based event, possibly to be held around october/november.  What I'd like to know firstly is what interst would there be in such an event.  Feddies will be allowed but the event will be primarily Klingon.  And it will be a costume/uniform event with a dress code.

We are thinking about either hiring a castle or using a hotel with conferance facilities and decorating it to appear like a Klingon hall.  Imagine a medieval banquet style of event but Klingon instead of historic....

So firstly, is anyone interested?
Secondly, if anyone has any ideas about location, decorating, entertainment, suggested ticket prices etc then please speak up.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 02 20, 2007, 01:22: AM »

That sounds like a great idea! I’d love to participate, but I’m in the western US. }}:-(

I suggest you contact Abbot Nej vit for advice in organizing it. Having put together the Klingon Summer Games from scratch, he may be able to advise you on setting up such a banquet.

You may also want to contact the Khemorex Klinzhai. My most recent intelligence holds that they have a ship on Scotland, and maty be able to assist with organization and publicity.

You may wish to reconsider the costuming requirements, simply because Klinfolk are in relatively short supply these days, and there are those who for whatever reason don’t costume. By requiring a dress code you may be unnecessarily restricting your attendance out of what is already a limited pool.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 02 20, 2007, 03:21: PM »

Great idea. I have been to a few of these, and they have all pretty much been interesting, if a bit expensive. Some go to great lengths to decorate, other do not. Remember that if you do decide to make the hall look Klingon, that will add to your expenses.

One of the best I have been to is the Klingon Feast at Shore Leave. It is held in an abandoned restaurant, with in the convention hotel. The last incarnation of the restaurant was a 50's theme diner with lots of red neon. With the main lights dimmed, the red neon works great. There are a few banners to give a Klingon Feel to the place.

Klingon (or other Trek) costumes are usually encouraged but not required. Perhaps you could work out the seating to allow for better seating for those in uniform.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 02 21, 2007, 04:07: PM »

A quick update.

the date of the event will be Saturday 27th October 2007,
place will be Milton Keynes England.

Cost:  don't know yet but I will try to keep the cost down as much as possible.

I know many of you reading this won't be able to come as its the UK, but please, please could you spread the word to anyone you know in the UK or anyone that may be in the UK at the time.

The date has been chosen to coincide with Collectorrmania, a big event at Milton Keynes and JG Hertzler and Bob Reilly will be there (At collectormania, not unfortunately our party). www.collectormania.com

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #4 on: 02 26, 2007, 12:46: PM »

Well, just to give another quick update, the event will be held to raise money for the Macmillan Cancer Care nurses.

Qosagh, have you (or anyone else for that matter) got any pics of similar events you have attended?  Particularly showing what sorts of decorations etc have been used.

We are also playing with the ideas of a re-enactment of the Kot'baval festival.  Has anyone else ever done this?  Any ideas on scripting etc would be very useful.

As I've already said, if you have friends in the UK, please tell them about this event.  Otherwise, any suggestions and ideas will continue to be welcome.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #5 on: 06 15, 2007, 09:45: AM »

another update:

We have sold enough tickets now that the event has moved out of the danger zone and will definitely go ahead.

Kehlan
« Last Edit: 06 19, 2007, 06:43: AM by Kehlan » Logged

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #6 on: 06 21, 2007, 04:59: AM »

This is good to hear!

One suggestion I would make in terms of decorations, (And likely you folks are already planning such), is flameless electric candles and flame pots/torches.

Around Halloween here in the states these are common and inexpensive. They also add a lot of atmosphere to any low light room...

For KSG we have taken to draping the walls with Red and Black fabric (Cheap fabric or even plastic table clothes works fine for low light)...

Other than that, perhaps an "Alter" with a picture of QeylIS (Kahless)?

One of the things that we have started doing is setting up a variety of smaller "Alters" around the outskirts of the rooms... These are adorned with pictures of folks wearing their Klingon gear... It is a nice way to fill up space, and remind folks of how kewl they look...

We have also been meaning to set up a "Wall of Honor" as well, which will be dedicated to the memory of fans who have passed and now serve in the Black Fleet. Unfortunately many of these folks passed without anyone getting good pictures of them in uniform, so we have not done so yet...

Another thing that we have been wanting to get a hold of is some faux stone pillars... Even cardboard ones from a party store could add some great detail to a low lit room...

And finally, I would encourage that whatever else you do, set aside a small area that is lit for photographs, and if no other decorations are available will allow folks to get pictures of themselves in a "Klingon" feeling set... A throne, Command chair, Transporter, or whatever, will guarantee that people have an obvious place to pose...

Qapla'! (Success)...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 11 08, 2007, 11:07: AM »

Well, the first Klingon banquet is over now.  We had 60 guests and raised a total of £1164 - approx $2000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.  I was really pleased with the night, the hall looked fantastic and everyone enjoyed themselves to a point where we couldnt get anyone to leave afterwards...

There were also little touches, like changeing the labels on pre-ordered wines so that red wines were bloodwine and white ones were chateau Picard.  Rather than table numbers, each table had a small Klingon banner in the centre with a House flag on it.  Everybody also had personalised place cards with the RRF logo, their name and menu choices on it.

From an organiser's vewpoint there were a few hitches, but nobody seemed to notice - or at least, if they did, it didnt spoil anything.

The raffle prizes, all donated were fantastic, including a years subscription to SFX magazine, a hamper of tropical fruit, a picnic hamper full of goodies, a case of wine, etc etc

The auction also went down well, again everything was donated and we had some really great stuff to auction, including a disruptor used by JG Hertzler in "Of gods and men"

We had a short after dinner talk by Keith Batt of "Klingons R Us" Keith was in "Of gods and Men" and entertained us with tales from his experiences there.  A very big thank you to Keith!!!!!

I was completely taken by surprise when I was called up to the front by two of the Klingons and publically thanked and presented with a medal, which I was told was the "Order of Sirella"  I am also honoured to tell that I was promoted, and given the honourific of "sutai"

And Keith, who is a member of the house of Martok, and was brought into the house by JG Hertzler, invited me to join the House of Martok, an offer I was proud to accept.

I have to say that without the support of alot of people, the First Starfleet/Klingon Banquet would never have happened.

I can also announce that due to popular demand, the second banquet wil be held on 27th September 2008.  Details of this will follow ASAP.

Anyway, here are some photos for you.....

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1st_starfleet_klingon_banquet/pool/

Also....

Kehlan and Admiral Mackenzie

The banquet hall

Kehlan and N'Sal

handing over the cheque

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #8 on: 06 04, 2008, 09:59: AM »

finally, here is the official announcement regarding the second Starfleet Klingon Banquet.

Date: Saturday 27th September

Special Guest: John Carrigan (Of Gods & Men, New Voyages)

The Event:
Themed three course meal, followed by A short talk from our special guest, charity auction, raffle and disco. We will also have an official photographer and a display of sci-fi art from prominent UK art dealer, Paul Mills.

Cost: £30, all profits from the event going to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Any questions or queries, please contact me. Also, please pass on details of the event to any friends who might be interested.

Menu:

Starters

Bloodwine Soup
Tomato and basil soup with bread roll

Hurgh with Bloodfruit Sauce
Duo of melon with forest fruit compote

Pate romuluSgnan – with real Romulan liver?
Liver pate with onion jam and rustic bread

Main course

Wild Sabre-Bear Steak in Warnog Sauce

Braised Steak with Guiness and Mushrooms on Mashed Potato and Cabbage

Bregit Lung in Yamok Sauce with Andorian Tuber Roots
Baked Salmon supreme with creamed leeks, new potatoes and wholegrain mustard sauce

Glasht with Quadrotriticale and Finova Beans
Mushroom and Pepper Stroganoff with Braised Rice and Green Beans

Desert

Jimbalian Fudge Cake
Mississippi Mud Pie with fresh cream

Tulaberry Pie in Cheral Sauce
Cherry Pie and custard

The Holy Rings of Betazed
Miniature donuts in Belgian chocolate sauce

Tarkalian Tea (Tea)
Raktajino (Coffee)

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #9 on: 06 05, 2008, 04:16: PM »

Kehlan,

You can be happy, I will be attending.
It's going to cost me more to get there than it will to be there, but what the heck...

See you there. And maybe I might welcome you and James as my guests in the Netherlands or at a Qetlop (QI'lop) soon as well...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #10 on: 07 10, 2008, 07:17: AM »

SoplaHtawI... will look forward to seeing you there.

Plans for the banquet continue but we are in trouble due to lack of interest.  If any of you are in the UK and may be interested in attending, please let me know.

If you can't attend, please will you help by advertising the banquet.  It's a charity event with all funds going to Macmillan Cance support.  I am not making a penny from it.  by advertising, I mean telling your friends... if you are on places like myspace or trekspace etc, please tell your friends there.

thank you

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: