Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 2018, 11:27: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Ceremonies, Rituals & Traditions
| | |-+  Warriors’ Rites & Traditions
| | | |-+  Klingon Oaths to Empire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Oaths to Empire  (Read 17134 times)
Neleb
Scribe

« on: 11 15, 2006, 02:23: PM »

Hello. I'm interested in know the Klingon Oaths. What say and if someone of you have them in klingon language.
Greetings.
Peace and long life.

Dif tor Heh Smusma
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #1 on: 11 15, 2006, 11:42: PM »

This should suffice:

tlhIngan maH! We are Klingons!
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 11 16, 2006, 04:29: AM »

Or you could put your budding cultural and language skills to work and come up with something original to contribute to Klindom. Other posters should be able to help you plow through translations.

I suspect that wishing a Klingon “Peace and long life” will earn you nothing more than a suspicious glare. Until you come up with something more specific to your intent, you would do better to use “Survive and succeed!” or simply {Qapla’!} (“Success!”)

Wishing you {Qapla'!}
-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 11 16, 2006, 10:54: AM »

Your post seems a little sarcastic Kesvirit.  Try to remember that Neleb is not English and its not her first language. 

I suspect she may be asking about the oath of Allegience or something similar:  Here is one I found on the Imperial guard website:

Oath of the Imperial Guard

In front of my Emperor I stand
forsaking life and line at his call.
Beneath the naked stars with
my loyalty, honor and duty.,
that I may die a glorious death
and pass onto the Black Fleet
to serve my Emperor and Empire
for all eternity.

I have absolutely no idea how it would translate into Klingon, I'll leave that to the experts.  and if I am misinterpreting the question and it was about cursing and swearing in klingon - there are other threads here with plenty of information on those subjects.

Qapla

Prosperidad y larga vida (live long and prosper)

Kehlan

[Edit -- added link to IKE website. -=- Kesvirit]
« Last Edit: 11 17, 2006, 03:45: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Neleb
Scribe

« Reply #4 on: 11 16, 2006, 12:15: PM »

Thanks Kehlan, you're very pleasant. Thumbs up!
And for Kesvirit...
Qapla' batlhje!  Wink

Dif tor Heh Smusma
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #5 on: 11 17, 2006, 03:57: AM »

Someone summon the Battle Surgeon. The Moderator needs to have her foot removed from her mouth.

No sarcasm toward Neleb was intended; if I did offend, I am truly sorry. My reference to “budding cultural and language skills” was not meant to belittle someone who is learing English, but was addressed to a Vulcan entering the unfamiliar and potentially dangerous realm of Klingon society. You could see how such a newcomer to the Empire would need to learn both cutltural and language skills, and quickly!

As to Oaths of Empire, I understood that to mean oaths used *in* the Empire, not oaths specifically given *to* the Empire. In any event, I was encouraging Neleb to come up with something more custom-tailored to the point she was trying to get across. {tlhIngan maH!}(“We are Klingons!”) doesn’t really mean anything as an oath.

quoth Neleb: Qapla' batlhje
(Per Forum Rules and Regulations, please make sure to include English translations with any thlIngan Hol you use on the boards.)

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #6 on: 09 12, 2010, 06:51: AM »

I don't think a Klingon would need to take an oath, at least not in theory. To take an oath would imply that you would lie otherwise. Klingons aren't required to wear rank insignia because a Klingon can be trusted to be whatever rank she claims, and I would assume a similar notion would apply to an oath: Klingons can be trusted to perform their duty honorably without requiring a promise.
« Last Edit: 09 14, 2010, 07:14: PM by El Payaso Malo II » Logged

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 09 12, 2010, 05:40: PM »

I don't completely agree, oaths are not unknown in the Klingon empire... we know for definite there is a blood oath because Jadzia Dax considered herself bound by the blood oath shared by Kang, Kor Koloth and Curzon.

Taking an oath does not mean that a Klingon would lie otherwise.  If a Klingon gives his word, then it can be trusted... ie if he says he will do something he will do it... an oath is simply a more formal version of this and sometimes the circumstances would warrant this extra formality, much as it did when the Albino killed the sons of Kor Kang and Koloth.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #8 on: 09 12, 2010, 07:22: PM »

I see your point, but I don't see the Blood Oath as an oath of allegiance per se, to me the word "oath" is used to make translation easier. The Blood Oath seems to be a pact of resolution for vengeance. It is not a promise to do something as the word oath would imply, since the Right of Vengeance is already a given within Klingon Society. Kargan made Riker swear an oath of allegiance, but Riker is not a Klingon, so his honesty is in question.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #9 on: 09 15, 2010, 04:19: PM »

The Pledge of Loyalty:

wej 'etlhmeyvaD jI'Ip,
reH Degh'a'vamvaD jImatlhqu'taHbejqu'.
wo''a' quv 'oStaHbogh vImatlhqu'bej je.
SachtaHjaj wo''a'vam wavbe'lu'bejbogh.
Hem tlhIngan Segh, 'ej maHemtaHbej.
To the three blades, I  pledge
I will definitely always be very loyal to this great symbol.
Also, I will certainly be very loyal to the great and honorable empire which it represents.
May this great empire, which will certainly never be divided, continue to expand.
The Klingons are a proud race, and we will certainly go on being proud.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #10 on: 09 15, 2010, 06:12: PM »

I recognize the last aphorism, but are the rest personal composition?

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #11 on: 09 15, 2010, 07:26: PM »

I recognize the last aphorism, but are the rest personal composition?
Yup; my own, free translation of the Pledge of Allegiance.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #12 on: 09 15, 2010, 07:35: PM »

Ah, nice! I am surprised you didn't invoke Kahless!

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #13 on: 09 15, 2010, 08:05: PM »

Ah, nice! I am surprised you didn't invoke Kahless!
I considered it, but couldn't think of a way to incorporate it that felt natural and didn't violate the rhythm too much.

It's also tempting to throw in something like "without gods" in the place of "under god" Wink

By the way, is there any official word in tlhIngan Hol for the Klingon Empire's trifoil?
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #14 on: 09 17, 2010, 11:54: PM »

You could transliterate the klingonasse komerex stella, which is what I do (although I generally just use the original klingonasse.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #15 on: 09 18, 2010, 01:37: AM »

It's also tempting to throw in something like "without gods" in the place of "under god" Wink

That sounds equally good.

By the way, is there any official word in tlhIngan Hol for the Klingon Empire's trifoil?

I don't think so, but I would rendeer it wo' Degh or something like that.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #16 on: 09 18, 2010, 04:33: AM »

You could transliterate the klingonasse komerex stella, which is what I do (although I generally just use the original klingonasse.
Ah, good to know; thanks!

I don't think so, but I would rendeer it wo' Degh or something like that.
Aye, I considered that, but it seemed a bit too unpoetic...  ...although, admittedly, it's almost exactly as poetic as "the flag of the United States of America", so I guess it wouldn't be completely wrong for this interpretation Wink
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 09 19, 2010, 10:47: PM »

Poetry is not the real goal, while a more poetic name for the U.S. flag is Old Glory, there is no real need for the legal name to be poetic.

From what I was told, the name komerex stella translates into Star of the Empire. Although it is the only place I even remember the word stella being used in klingonasse so it may be something more special or unique than just a star.

qoSagh qlIStIy
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #18 on: 09 21, 2010, 01:40: AM »

The Klingon Anthem, taHjaj wo', is sort of an oath:  Cheesy

taHjaj wo' 'ej taHjaj voDleHma' - May the Empire continue and may our Emporer continue
wItoy'mo' vaj nuquvmoHjaj ta' - The Emperor honours us because we serve him
Dun wo'maj 'ej Qochchugh vay' - Our Empire is wonderful and if someone disagrees
vaj DaSmeymaj bIngDaq chaH DIbeQmoHchu' jay'! - we will crush them beneath our $*%!ing boots!

You can watch us singing it at the opening day of this year's qep'a' here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnvAGY1t9es. It has both English and Klingon subtitles.

El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #19 on: 09 21, 2010, 02:07: AM »

The Klingon Anthem, taHjaj wo', is sort of an oath:  Cheesy

It doesn't seem at all oath-llike to me, but what it is is awesome. I don't remember who wrote it, but everytime I hear it, I am filled with pride. It is perfectly fierce.  cool

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
chalvatlh
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #20 on: 11 10, 2010, 07:26: PM »

Poetry is not the real goal, while a more poetic name for the U.S. flag is Old Glory, there is no real need for the legal name to be poetic.
It was the goal for me Wink

From what I was told, the name komerex stella translates into Star of the Empire. Although it is the only place I even remember the word stella being used in klingonasse so it may be something more special or unique than just a star.
Ah, thanks for the tip!

The part about stela meaning "star" sounds a bit like a misunderstanding based on its similarity to "stella"...  ...but then again, with v'kari z'mortamas meaning "the many strings of death", it doesn't seem impossible that the people behind Klingonaase took some inspiration from real-world languages.

By the way, wo' Degh is actually used on one of the SkyBox cards to refer to the trefoil:  http://mughom.wikia.com/wiki/SP1

tlhIngan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'. - "This marking represents the Klingon Empire" (lit. "this symbol'e' is the Klingon Empire symbol")

I don't remember who wrote it, but everytime I hear it, I am filled with pride. It is perfectly fierce.  cool
That would be Captain Krankor.  I think it was written in 1992 or 1993.
Commander Kurn
Scribe

« Reply #21 on: 05 04, 2016, 06:45: AM »

[/quote] tEEk gork "heart of virtue"
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #22 on: 05 11, 2016, 02:14: AM »

I have never heard the words(?) tEEk gork used in tlhInghan Hol nor are they spelled using tlhInghan Hol. I am interested in the source however because I am interested in this Heart of Virtue concept. I suppose it would be transliterated as tIq ghorQ although I am only guessing at spelling. An online translator I just found (I don't have my dictionary handy) translated Heart of Virtue as tIq ghob.

That being said I am not sure that those two words in and of themselves make up an oath. I prefer to use the old FASA oath, which I have seen many times with various adaptations to bring it closer to what we saw with later depictions of Klingon culture.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Commander Kurn
Scribe

« Reply #23 on: 05 12, 2016, 02:16: AM »

your right I didn't write it in Kling hol! I tried to write it how pronounced. as to the source it was the Klingon academy video game. in a speech by General Chang in cut scenes between missions. the following is an exact quote of General chang! "you have all known the symbol of our empire." " it has been called many names through the ages." "perhaps the least understood is the heart of virtue or tiq gorq in the ancient tongue." "the heart of virtue originated from an archaic weapon favored by Qay'lis the unforgettable." "it is said he chose this as the symbol of his house and later the empire." "because of the weapons unequaled balance." "yet this is inaccurate Qay'lis chose it because each of the three blades represents those virtues." "that are the very foundation of every true warrior." " honor, loyalty and duty each in perfect balance." "of these 3 duty is the first virtue it's the beginning and the end of the warriors path." "without duty a warrior becomes the slave of vain glory and reckless self interest!" "no true warrior could ever tolerate these vices." "neither in his comrades or in himself." heres a link to the videohttps://youtu.be/XqVlSNP1jEI?t=761 ~Qahplah!   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: