Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 21, 2014, 09:40: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11499 Posts in 1568 Topics by 620 Members
Latest Member: auror100
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  Kehlan's new costume
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kehlan's new costume  (Read 11948 times)
elninjo
Senior Courier

« on: 09 12, 2006, 06:56: PM »

Are male and female uniforms the same or are there differences. If they are different what are the differences? Did you make your uniform from a pattern Kehlan?

Cheers
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #1 on: 09 13, 2006, 01:26: AM »

No, I did not use a pre-existing pattern.  I obtained a waistcoat which was a little too big (it needs to be one size too big) and used it as a pattern.  I then made a waistcoat out of a light canvas material and sewed leather strips onto it leaving a 3-4mm gap between strips.  I then added fur sleeves.  this is why it needs to be too big - when you add the sleeves, it pulls the material out a bit so it can become too small if you havent allowed for this. 

I then made the over piece, that sits on your shoulders (not sure what you call it)  Essentially it is a square of canvas with the leather strips going across it with the corners rounded off, a hole cut for the head and the trim of your choice to edge it.  Mine is in the style that is open at the front  I actually edged the neck with a piece of armoured cable covered in the same colour leather.

It sounds complicated but it isnt really.  I have no dressmaking training and do not know how to use a sewing machine.  If I can do it, anyone can.  It helps if you can actually look at someone elses uniform to see how it was put together.  Other than that all you need is imagination, alot of time - and a thimble!

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #2 on: 11 02, 2006, 02:58: PM »

My new uniform is just about finished now although I still have some finishing touches to work on.  I thought you might like to see how its  getting on...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/CaptainKehlan/burgundy2.jpg

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 11 02, 2006, 11:44: PM »

I like the color choices. I have been thinking of similar colors for my next uniform. I knew I wanted the grey sleeves because I saw some really natural looking fur that was mostly grey but also had some black in it. I have been thinking of something a little more brown, than burgundy. Either way, your new uniform looks great.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 11 04, 2006, 10:06: AM »

My new uniform is just about finished now although I still have some finishing touches to work on.  I thought you might like to see how its  getting on...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/CaptainKehlan/burgundy2.jpg

Kehlan

Kehlan,

The new uniform looks very nice... I really dig the Belt-buckle... Can you show us a larger pic of that so that I can see the detail?

maj! {Good}...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #5 on: 11 04, 2006, 11:10: AM »

I used a badge called the "Glory of B'rell" from the website below and mounted it on to metal as we thought resin might not be strong enough for a belt buckle.  I also turned the trifoil the other way up as I thought the badge looked better that way.

http://www.freewebs.com/sotarussnw/index.htm

The necklace I wore was a burgundy piece and I spray painted one of my Klingon earrings (the stud ones) gold and stuck it onto the necklace to make it more klingon.

Incidentally, I  cannot recommend K'russ (who makes the badges) highly enough.  He is very good and is friendly and helpful.  His badges are very high quality and worth the money he charges (around $16 each)

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 11 04, 2006, 11:26: AM »

Kehlan,

I see now... In fact I have seen that web-site before (I love some of the gadgets), but I did not know that they sold those pieces (The medals)? Or that they were so large... Or did you folks recreate the image perhaps?

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 11 04, 2006, 12:18: PM »

No, that is exactly how the badge came - but we mounted it onto the metal background which did increase the size of the overall piece.  I have several of his badges and they are mostly quite big.  If you are interested in the details, send him an email he is friendly and I can vouch for his honesty.  He also sells them on ebay by the way.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 11 04, 2006, 12:49: PM »

No, that is exactly how the badge came - but we mounted it onto the metal background which did increase the size of the overall piece.  I have several of his badges and they are mostly quite big.  If you are interested in the details, send him an email he is friendly and I can vouch for his honesty.  He also sells them on ebay by the way.

Kehlan

Most excellent, I'll have to investigate further...

maj! {Good}...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #9 on: 11 05, 2006, 04:30: PM »

Are male and female uniforms the same or are there differences. If they are different what are the differences?

I've just realised I never answered this part of the question...  to the best of my knowledge the main difference between male and female unifoms (apart from the skirt v trousers issue) is of course, the generous display of cleavage.

Which from a costumers viewpoint means no undershirt under the armour - and if you look at womens clothing you will see they have darts in the top - you can do this to the costume to give it a better shape but its not necessary, you just need...  hmm, no I think I'd better pm you about that if you want more detail - there are men reading this after all, we can't give away to many of our secrets to the opposite sex (grin)

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
elninjo
Senior Courier

« Reply #10 on: 11 05, 2006, 07:37: PM »

Kehlan, your costume looks great and please do PM me, I'm intrigued but as far as cleavage is concerned....you know what they say.....If you've got it...flaunt it! Personally I dont have it to flaunt it lol. But hey its a costume right? Grin

I have got a bit of a curly question I want to ask you guys to do with gender though and Ill get to it soon. Iíve been fairly busy lately.
Iím getting closer to making one for myself (well not me personally) I ďdonít doĒ sewing and those pleats frighten me. Iím getting my husband to make me one. Itís complete role reversal in my house (not smart comments please lol). So any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #11 on: 11 06, 2006, 08:30: AM »

Several years ago at a convention, there was a girl walking around with a spectacular Klingon costume. Which of course featured a prominent display of ample cleavage. Needless to say she had many admirers. There was a rumor gong around that the cleavage was entirely prosthetic, and was attached to the costume and not to her. I never did get the chance to meet her or confirm that rumor, but it is at least plausible. I have seen some fairly realistic prosthetics in costume shops that could be used.

As an aside, think abut the possibilities of such a transformation. We already add ridges to our foreheads, sometimes even contacts and dentures. If adding cleavage were done also, one could be completely unrecognizable from one's human self.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 11 11, 2006, 12:54: PM »

Several years ago at a convention, there was a girl walking around with a spectacular Klingon costume. Which of course featured a prominent display of ample cleavage. Needless to say she had many admirers. There was a rumor gong around that the cleavage was entirely prosthetic, and was attached to the costume and not to her. I never did get the chance to meet her or confirm that rumor, but it is at least plausible. I have seen some fairly realistic prosthetics in costume shops that could be used.

As an aside, think abut the possibilities of such a transformation. We already add ridges to our foreheads, sometimes even contacts and dentures. If adding cleavage were done also, one could be completely unrecognizable from one's human self.

You know, a friend who has since past on and likely runs the Black Fleet at this point, was quite the impressive Klingon Fem. She was over 6' tall, and was a model by profession. She was also generously endowed, and her armour was cut to accent this very well... Yet she was notrious for telling people that her bust was a prosthetic... Cheesy I have also known at least one Klingon Female who deffinitely accentuated her natural body type artificially... (And non-invasively)...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #13 on: 11 29, 2006, 04:18: PM »

Well my cleavage is entirely my own.  Anyway, here is a link to some pictures of our group in Klingon costume, taken at Birmingham NEC (UK) last weekend.

http://ncc-71805.com/coms/viewtopic.php?t=157

Qapla'

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
elninjo
Senior Courier

« Reply #14 on: 11 29, 2006, 05:14: PM »

I realy like the idea of a prosthetic bust.......

Those pics look like you had a lot of fun.....Is that a tardas your about to step into there kehlan?

Cheers
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #15 on: 11 30, 2006, 01:34: AM »

.....Is that a tardas your about to step into there kehlan?

Yes it is.  the transporter was off line (I'll have to have words with my engineer about that) so we borrowed the TARDIS instead...

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 12 02, 2006, 09:40: AM »

Looks like fun... What sort of Event was it? And your "Civies" worked out very well I think...

maj! {Good}...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #17 on: 12 03, 2006, 02:51: PM »

I'm very pleased with the way the new outfit worked.  It will be perfect for an off duty party uniform I think.

the event we attended was www.memorabilia.co.uk

It is a big event with loads of dealers sellling various items and various actors and sports personalities there doing signing.  It was really great to meet Alice Krige, the Borg Queen and get a picture taken with her, she was a very nice person.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 12 03, 2006, 09:09: PM »

I have always been facinated by Alice Krige, at least since seeing her in 'Ghost Story' back in the early 80's, I also really liked her in Barfly as well. It is good to hear a positive report about meeting her in person. Particularly since she has been around long enough to not "Need" to curry favor with fans.

Regardless, great job on the new piece, and I look forward to seeing what you ultimately come up with for your "Duty-uniform" once you get to it!

maj! {Good}...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: