Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:28: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  qagh
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: qagh  (Read 22298 times)
Khoroth
Newcomer

« on: 10 25, 2006, 08:22: PM »

Greetings once again.

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences that anyone here has had in preparing qagh. Also I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any success in simulating the movement of live qagh (without the use of Mr. Neelix' kinesthetic agent, that is)  Cheesy

Khoroth
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #1 on: 10 25, 2006, 09:15: PM »

Well, down at the fishing tackle shop my husband frequents they sell containers of live earthworms - they never look very fresh to me though, not much wiggle in them...  (the maggots have a good wriggle but I won't even comment on the different colours they seem to be dyed)

Seriously, I read somewhere that on set they used noodles with a little rotating thingy underneath to make it look as though they were moving.  I don't know if that's true though.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Scorpius
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 10 26, 2006, 05:59: PM »

Having it wrigging on the the plate is one thing but how do you create the wriggle as it goes down?!  Sick

Scorpius
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #3 on: 11 30, 2006, 03:58: PM »

Having it wrigging on the the plate is one thing but how do you create the wriggle as it goes down?!  Sick
I suppose we'll just have to leave that to the genetic engineers.  Maybe they'll create a nutritious, wriggling organism for us to eat!
qapla100000
Courier

Qapla'!

« Reply #4 on: 03 03, 2007, 07:53: PM »

how do you make gagh i realy would like to know  Smiley

House Of Trek
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #5 on: 03 04, 2007, 12:07: AM »

I think you are old enough to know this, so I will tell you.

When one serpent worm loves another serpent worm very much...   Well, perhaps it is enough to say that gagh make themselves.

Klingons don't make gagh, they prepare gagh but marinating them in a sauce that is toxic to them (and probably half the species in the quadrant as well).   Klingon chefs I understand guard their gagh recipes carefully, so I have none to share.  But the important thing is timing,  to prepare the gagh so they absorb the sauce thoroughly, but are still alive long enough to be eaten.

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #6 on: 03 04, 2007, 08:21: AM »

When one serpent worm loves another serpent worm very much...   

Actually, if their biology resembles that of similar creatures on Earth (which is a whole seperate debate) then gagh are probably hermaphrodite.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #7 on: 03 04, 2007, 05:53: PM »

If you mean, how does one prepare actual worms for qagh, I will say that I have never cooked with worms and never will, but there are recipes using earthworms.  I do know that  they prepare them by keeping them in a tub of cornmeal, so they eat only that for a few days until their digestive tracts are cleaned out, then they grind them up and use them in meatloaf, etc.  There are other cuisines that cook other types of worms (usually grubs or caterpillars), generally by frying.  I don't know any cuisines that eat raw worms, although some peoples do eat termites raw.

As for fake qagh, Lawrence Schoen of the KLI has a recipe using gummy worms in chocolate sauce.  He once put some sort of motor-and-cam contraption at the bottom of a deep bowl, covered them with plastic wrap, and then poured the "qagh" over it, so it moved on the plate.  It doesn't move in your hand, but you could do what the actors on ST did and just twirl them between your fingers slightly as you raise them up to your mouth.

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #8 on: 03 04, 2007, 08:16: PM »

Actually, if their biology resembles that of similar creatures on Earth (which is a whole seperate debate) then gagh are probably hermaphrodite.

Kehlan

Just because they are Hermaphroditic doesn't invalodate my sentence.  Just because you have sexual charataristics of both sexes does not mean you can inpregnate yourself.   Although I conceed that Earthworms can reproduce asexually.
soup_borg
Senior Courier

Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck.

« Reply #9 on: 06 15, 2007, 11:31: PM »

The closest i've gotten to eating gagh is when i was 5 years old and ate a few ants.  I'm still looking for websites selling chocolate-covered ants, so I could try again. Cheesy

MCPO Saleel Ki'kaal P'V'B, son of Do'Iteq
Chief Of the Boat, USS Antares
Obsidian Fleet Task Force 21-C
Satoy'neS  [Sa- = I-you (plural) prefix; toy' = serve (a master); -neS = honorific]
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #10 on: 06 16, 2007, 01:03: AM »

If you mean, how does one prepare actual worms for qagh, I will say that I have never cooked with worms and never will, but there are recipes using earthworms.  I do know that  they prepare them by keeping them in a tub of cornmeal, so they eat only that for a few days until their digestive tracts are cleaned out, then they grind them up and use them in meatloaf, etc.  There are other cuisines that cook other types of worms (usually grubs or caterpillars), generally by frying.  I don't know any cuisines that eat raw worms, although some peoples do eat termites raw.
I am very much interested in creating a healthy, nutricious and genuine qagh recipe.
This means using live worms, a sauce that is edible for the eater but deadly for the worms.

I have been "advised" to use widgedy grubs (or whatever these big white caterpillars are called), but that would not cut it for me. Also a sweet dish of makebelieve qagh is not what I envision...
The cornmeal solution sounds useable, the grinding afterwards doesn't  Smiley

The closest i've gotten to eating gagh is when i was 5 years old and ate a few ants.  I'm still looking for websites selling chocolate-covered ants, so I could try again. Cheesy
I've seen some funny insect-related foods in an English (Manchester) store around christmas... Should have bought/tried some of that, reallly, but didn't.

[Edit -- Combined double post]
« Last Edit: 06 16, 2007, 02:57: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #11 on: 06 16, 2007, 04:59: AM »

I am very much interested in creating a healthy, nutricious and genuine qagh recipe.
This means using live worms, a sauce that is edible for the eater but deadly for the worms.

Of course, your desire is doomed to failure, because there are no real qagh worms anywhere on earth.  Smiley  It's entirely possible that no terrestrial organism has the same properties as qagh, so none could serve as a usable substitute.

Reminds me of how my wife cooks: "I made tuna casserole, except I didn't have any tuna, so I used tofu, and cabbage leaves instead of noodles.  Otherwise, it's the same as that dish you liked the last time..."  Wink
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #12 on: 06 16, 2007, 09:14: AM »

Of course, your desire is doomed to failure, because there are no real qagh worms anywhere on earth.  Smiley  It's entirely possible that no terrestrial organism has the same properties as qagh, so none could serve as a usable substitute.

Reminds me of how my wife cooks: "I made tuna casserole, except I didn't have any tuna, so I used tofu, and cabbage leaves instead of noodles.  Otherwise, it's the same as that dish you liked the last time..."  Wink
Cheesy Of course the "genuine" in my post should read "as close to genuine as possible".
Since I do not know what exactly ghargh looks/tastes like, and therefor cannot make a genuine qagh dish, I am talking about a dish with live, edible (how edible are earthworms anyway?) worms, and the above described sauce in some form or another.
As long as it is deadly for the worms and edible/enjoyable for humans/klingon lubbers.

In other words: a close proximity of qagh for a close proximity of tlhInganpu'

Since from your description of the imminent failure of my attempt I understand that you haven't tasted genuine qagh yourself, the simile of your wife's cooking, however amusing, goes limp... Smiley Wink

* qagh = gagh
   ghargh = serpent worm, the main ingredient of qagh
   tlhInganpu' = klingons

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #13 on: 06 16, 2007, 05:21: PM »

Earthworms are completely edible!  You can google several recipes in a few minutes.  But why would you want to?  My impression of serpent worms is that they are basically miniature moray eels: like all Klingon fauna, they are viscious, fast-moving, and can bite.  I believe this is why they are put in the vermicidal sauce.  Although I doubt if the average klingon would care if their food tries to bite them while they're biting it, you probably couldn't keep normal, active serpent worms on your plate long enough to eat them.  The sauce stuns them into relative immobility.  The fact that the sauce is eventually lethal to them is a testiment to their inherent vigor.

I don't know of any earthworms that behave that way.  I think they're pretty slow-moving anyway, and you couldn't pay me enough to eat an earthworm swimming in bug-killer.  If you insist on a drug-laden sauce, I'd suggest a wine sauce, maybe fortified with vodka.  That should stun the worms (or throw them into spasms of pain, if the alcohol burns their skin), and maybe help the diners forget what they're eating, if they drink enough of it!   Wink

If you're going to reproduce disgusting Star Trek foods, why not try your hand at kanar?  I always though that Vietnamese fish sauce in vodka or brandy might make a good "authentic" kanar.

Maybe Star Trek banquet scenes should come with a disclaimer: "Professionals at work; do not try at home".   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
Koron Trekkan
Newcomer

« Reply #14 on: 06 21, 2007, 06:07: AM »

I attended a convention a few years ago in Minneapolis Minnesota, where the local KAG ship had a booth if you will, that was a room beside an open attrium, and had a number of uniformed officers milling around to attract the mundanes at the convention.  On the table in front of the room was a small bowl of meal worms, the kind used in fishing, that had been fed corn meal a while to clean them out.  When I first saw it, one of the Klingons picked one up, popped it in his mouth and chewed it up and swallowed it.  I then saw a preatty young Feddie female in a red dress type original series uniform do the same.  Since I was a Klingon, though not in uniform, as I didn't have one yet, couldn't be shown up by a Feddie female, did the same.  It wasn't bad.  No real taste.  The next year I was at that same convention, in uniform this time, I was behind the counter with the rest of the Klingons, and a young human boy, around 15 -16 years old, came up to the counter, looked into the bowl, and looked quizzically.   Cheesy  I had to do it, I picked up one of the biggest, popped it in, and decided to play with this earther, pushed it out between the front teeth.  It wiggled at him.  I then popped my head back like an animal swallowing a bite of meat, and the worm fell back in, I crunched it between the teeth, and grinned.  The boy, turned a distinctive green, and took off with a definate look that he was going to toss his cookies.  That is what is a good kind of live worm that can be used as gagh.  What's nice, they do wiggle on their own too.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 06 21, 2007, 01:14: PM »

Years ago in NYC the hotel that most of the conventions were at had a sushi bar in the lobby. This lead to the tradition of Klingons eating sushi at the counter in the front window. One time since I was alone at the club recruiting table, I had to get take out and bring it back to the table. Since I was standing next to the table I got a rice bowl with roast eel in it and spent a while eating it without any utensils. I think I made a few of the feddies sick and possibly some of the fans as they passed by also.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
qapla100000
Courier

Qapla'!

« Reply #16 on: 07 24, 2007, 02:57: AM »

No One Ever Said It Had To MOVE!
Im Just looking for something that doesnt move
and tastes good not earthworms EWW!

House Of Trek
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #17 on: 07 24, 2007, 06:35: AM »

quoth ter'eS: My impression of serpent worms is that they are basically miniature moray eels: like all Klingon fauna, they are viscious, fast-moving, and can bite.

Hmm. I had always thought them to be more leech-like.

Until I saw this composite screen cap of gagh dishes. It looks like we have, starting in the upper left and going clockwise:
rainbow spaghetti (a mixture of noodles made from tomato, spinach, and durham wheat flour); mung bean(?) sprouts, possibly with the seed pods removed; some other bean sprout I can't identify; and mixed round rice noodles boiled in some sort of vegetable oil. (Note that real food does not hold up well under filming conditions, so these may be non-edible creations from the props department. The dish featured in the last picture could be spray-painted shoe laces for all I know.)

The nearest unifying theme here is vaguely long, round, and squishy. From this I conclude that gagh is a category of animal, and does not refer to a single species or morph.

Addendum: This is supported by the DS9 episode "Prodigal Daughter," in which EDax says: "I can remember what each one tastes like... and the way they... move when you swallow them. Torgud gagh wiggles. Filden gagh squirms. Meshta gagh jumps. [...] Bithool gagh has feet. [...] Wistan gagh is packed in targ blood..."

(Feet?)

quoth qapla100000: No One Ever Said It Had To MOVE!
Im Just looking for something that doesnt move and tastes good not earthworms EWW!

The whole point of gagh is that it DOES have to move. What is the point of eating non-moving gagh? If you are content to eat something that looks like worms but doesnít move, just eat spaghetti in tomato sauce.

quoth qoSagh: I got a rice bowl with roast eel in it and spent a while eating it without any utensils. I think I made a few of the feddies sick and possibly some of the fans as they passed by also.

Leave it to coddled Earthers to get sqeamisch around basic finger foods.
« Last Edit: 07 24, 2007, 09:30: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #18 on: 09 28, 2007, 02:03: AM »

Considering the term, serpent worm, has anyone tried, or actually (in a safer vein) seriously thought about baby snakes? I know, I know, this then raises serious ethical issues (in regards to treatment of animals). I would never go there myself! I love reptiles (I have a two year old Green Iguana named Scratch) But naively I ask, is it even legal and healthy?
On a side note,
If you're going to reproduce disgusting Star Trek foods, why not try your hand at kanar?  I always though that Vietnamese fish sauce in vodka or brandy might make a good "authentic" kanar.
That sounds gross, but a step in the right direction.  I always thought of kanar as some thick Hoisin Sauce mixed with Kahlua or Jšgermeister.
« Last Edit: 09 28, 2007, 05:12: AM by Kaz Son of Maktan » Logged

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 09 28, 2007, 04:17: PM »

Jager & Hoisin, now that sounds nasty as well, but then again I am not a big fan of Jager.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #20 on: 09 29, 2007, 01:01: AM »

Heh heh. I'm sure it wouldn't be so agreeable with our Terran palates. I suppose a nicer version would be Chocolate syrup, dark rum, corn syrup and Kahlua. Of course, the next step is for someone to try to make these Cardassian recipes.

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 09 30, 2007, 05:10: AM »

Considering the term, serpent worm, has anyone tried, or actually (in a safer vein) seriously thought about baby snakes? I know, I know, this then raises serious ethical issues (in regards to treatment of animals). I would never go there myself! I love reptiles (I have a two year old Green Iguana named Scratch) But naively I ask, is it even legal and healthy?

Aside from possible venom issues, I would think that the main problem of eating such a creature would be in digesting its bones. Vertebral processes (the parts that stick out from the round part) can be quite sharp, sharp enough to lacerate the esophagus before hitting the stomach and being ground down by stomach acids. The digestive enzymes in saliva arenít strong enough to dull the surface much. However, bones in vertebrate young are not fully formed; solid bone spreads out from certain cell formation sites in a given bone as the animal grows. If baby snake bones are spongy enough and/or thoroughly chewed, they could probably be safely eaten. Once you consult with your friendly neighborhood herpetologist on the toxicity issue and sort out any legal matters with your local Dept. of Fish and Game or equivalent, testing for edibility would make for an interesting culinary experiment.

You go first.

As to the ethical issues, well, what qualifies as food is largely culturally determined. A snack popular South Korea consists of dipping a live baby octopus in sesame oil and swallowing it. They donít have much flavor, but the fun is in the fight as you try to swallow while it holds on to your face for dear life. In comparison, mere gagh is suitable only for small children and invalids.

In the evolutionary course of any sentient species, you have to figure that at some point, someone has tried to eat anything and everything available in their environment to make the hunger pains stop. If what they just ate makes everything stop, itís likely that someone elsed in the group would notice and spread the word. Iím pretty sure that baby snakes have been among those small wrigggly things sampled, some time, somewhere.

But eating iguanas, that would just be wrong.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #22 on: 09 30, 2007, 10:35: PM »

A snack popular South Korea consists of dipping a live baby octopus in sesame oil and swallowing it.
G'day't, now that's a Terran meal fit for a warrior! Egh! I do love the dead sushi version, though.  I recall now that (I am almost positive) I saw an episode of Man vs Wild were the host did find and eat a baby snake (head first).  Regardless, I must admit I am not brave enough to (be the first to) try eating a live baby snake. To add to another of your subjects- in regards to what humankind dares to eat, think of the first person to make haggis, or just plain sausage! What person thought to grind up an animal's flesh, stuff it into it's boiled intestines, and then boil or grill it again to eat it? Lastly, I could never think of my pet as food. Though other peoples throughout the Americas have, they gotta do what they gotta do. Ugh.

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #23 on: 10 14, 2007, 03:37: AM »

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned qagh tlhIq*. If all the qagh is not eaten at one sitting, the heated leftovers make a savory stew.

A few redirects to keep this thread vaguely on-topic:

Kaz:  To add to another of your subjects- in regards to what humankind dares to eat, think of the first person to make haggis, or just plain sausage! What person thought to grind up an animal's flesh, stuff it into it's boiled intestines, and then boil or grill it again to eat it?
For haggis and a little sausage, see this post in the Rokeg Blood Pie thread.

Lastly, I could never think of my pet as food. Though other peoples throughout the Americas have, they gotta do what they gotta do. Ugh.
I would have to be in dire straights indeed to even consider eating Fluffy or the Kirakat. I hope I never have to make such a decision.
For more on pets as food, see the Targh thread.

Now. Who has more qagh?

*stew

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #24 on: 12 02, 2007, 05:07: PM »

I need to remember to discuss making chocolate betleHHommey and a workable recipe for real life ghargh with the host of the new year's eve ship's meet...

I really DO want o create real-life qagh... Just where to find the worms... and what to put in the sauce that's lethal for them but tasty for me...

betleHHommey = small bat'leths
ghargh = serpent worm dish

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: