Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 01, 2014, 06:21: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11591 Posts in 1588 Topics by 651 Members
Latest Member: jonny077
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What attracted you to "the Klingon way of life"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What attracted you to "the Klingon way of life"?  (Read 13738 times)
Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator
Klingon Conversationalist

Always trust your instincts!

« on: 10 03, 2003, 11:15: PM »

posted on 8-13-2002 at 08:22 PM

Our Klingon Imperial Forums are already becoming a growing community with over 75 members (as of mid-August) and several hundred postings. Many of you are experienced veterans of Klingon fandom, while some of you are much newer on the scene - but here is a question that applies to all of you:

What is it that attracted you to the Klingon way of life? Was it the culture, the language, the code of honour, the costumes? Did you have an initial attraction and found other aspects of interest as time went on? If you've been in fandom for a while, what has kept you here?

I'm sure that this will prove to be a fascinating line of discussion and one that everyone can participate in... and that means YOU, even if you haven't posted yet! Dive in and share your experience with us -- let's get to know each other!
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 10:48: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
Klingon Imperial Forums, KIDC
qurgh
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:22: PM »

posted on 8-14-2002 at 12:32 PM

Well, I'll take a stab at this.

I orginally started out a Feddy fan, way way way back. Then someone gave me a copy of Conversational Klingon, and I started learning the language. Then I became a Feddy who spoke Klingon. I started paying more attention to Klingons in the episodes, hoping they would say something that only I could understand. I learned more about the Klignon culture and it intrigued me. I started to understand Klingons and think like Klingons. And slowly and surely I became Klingon.

Nowadays, I'm 100% Klingon. I'm still fasintated by the culture, the foods, the drinks, the clothes, the weapons and most importantly, to me, the language. I belive that to truly understand a people and their culture you must understand their language. It is the key to the door. Once it's open, you can truly peer inside. In my opinion Okrand has made the language a real key to the Klingon people. It's brisk, strong and to the point language, just like Klingons are. It is a deep honourable language, and when spoken properly just fits right in with the Klingons.

So now, I have costumes, I have a ship and a fleet to command, I have a pretty good grasp of the language and I really feel that "tlhIngan jIH!" - I am Klingon!

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:27: PM »

posted on 8-31-2002 at 11:24 PM

That all depends. How much of an answer do you want?

The Lady K'Zin poses an interesting question, though I think that in order to answer it one must first answer another: to whose version of "the Klingon way of life" do you refer or subscribe? That of TOS has little in common with that of the B&B era. At one point our Barbarian Hordes became Viking Bikers overnight with a scant few buzzwords and no explanation whatsoever holding them together.

I for one became interested in the "Klingon Koncept" as a kid watching hacked-up episodes of TOS in syndication, and three of my favorite eps were "Errand of Mercy", "The Enterprise Incident", and "Day of the Dove", largely because the bad guys were so much more interesting than the good guys. Kor had a certain oily charm all his own that to this day I wish I could pull off. Kang had a real nobility to him, and Mara had some serious brains, even if she lacked the nads - er, livers - to go with them. How Kang's wife and probable first officer couldn't have easily handed a dweeb like Chekov both of his heads on a platter I'll never know. (Actually I think I do, and the answer's a simple one: Roddenberry Is A Pig. But that's another arguement/rant for another time.)

There were also a few of the Ballantine/Pocket novels that really caught my attention in incorporating Klingon culture and various aspects of Klingon/Human/Federation relations besides shooting at one another. Pawns and Symbols and Dwellers in the Crucible really caught my atention. Not only were they well written and could stand on their own as non-Trek novels, but they included antagonists who were well-developed characters in their own right, and in the end some of the bad guys weren't so bad after all. I'll spare you further reviews and synopses; if you're at all interested you'll go read them yourselves.

And then I was conceptually whopped upside the head by The Final Reflection, which gives us a view from the inside of an alien culture. Wow. I read it in one sitting on the way back from a school trip in junior high and foisted it upon a Trek friend. She returned it the next day with rave reviews. We both quoted a few bits of it in a social studies paper and got points taken off by our very hard-assed teacher until we cornered him amd explained ourselves further. He took it home and read it and raised our grades, and it got passed around the department.

So why am I still here? To paraphrase a certain physician, "Darned if I know what makes her tick." As Trek goes I'm such an old timer compared to these young whippersnappers I'm shedding dust. I don't agree with a lot of what B&B have done with the franchise, which I think had some serious problems to begin with. It's sure as h*ll not for the novels I eagerly anticipated every other month that kept me going through some very difficult times; I haven't picked up anything new worth reading in ages. Trek in general and the Klingon Kwestions in specific are interesting as sociological phenomena, and as an eternal outsider it's an entertaining and highly informal field of study. I also fool around with my own writing. It started off as an attempt at straight fanfic but has... drifted. I have my own specific version/vision of Klingon culture that I am always trying to flesh out.

Aren't you glad you asked? :-P~~~~~

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 03, 2003, 11:30: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #3 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:35: PM »

posted on 9-13-2002 at 09:48 PM

What attracted me to the Klingon way of life? In short, it's a convienent way for me to be able to express ideals and actions and ways of living that, while they are considered "honorable" by most Klingon fans, are considered very oddball by most other people. But then, I've never been one to really care what others thought of how I conduct myself - If they don't like it, they can take a walk out an open airlock, lol.

More descriptively, the things that attracted me to the Klingon way of life were many, and here are some of the hilights, in no particular order:

1) Language - I like a challenge, and learning the Klingon language provides an excellent one. Most people do not pick up languages easily later in life (read that as 'after high school') and I am no exception. But that does not mean that I will not try. Of course, whether I could actually hold an intelligent conversation without the sound of mad page-flipping through my reference books.. Is another story. But I do enjoy it immensely nonetheless.

2) Weapons - I would say that as a teen, I detested handguns, but was fascinated by other forms of weaponry, such as the military-type rifles we had access to in the NJROTC Rifle Range club and meets. Why this is, I do not know. I was also fascinated by other forms of weaponry, such as bow and arrows, swords, and staffs. Somewhere in my early teens I got introduced to Star Trek and immiediately fell in love with the Klingon weapons I saw. Not just the Bat'leth, but the dk'tahg and mek'leth as well. Probably others I am forgetting as well. Once I moved out on my own (5 years ago folks, I'm 24) I got deeper into Star Trek and about a year ago, I passed the point of no return and bought two Bat'leths from a local weapons dealer. They are wonderful weapons, and I even had the recent fortune to acquire two copies of the book "Secret Fighting Arts Of The Warrior Race", an indispensable book that teaches real martial arts techniques for the use of the Bat'leth, and even how to be proficient and just as deadly even when not carrying a Bat'leth Wink Just 3 months ago, I had the honor of attending a convention in Mass. and was able to bring one of my bat'leths and have it signed by JG Hertzler and Robert O'Reilly.. Quite an honor, I must say.

3) Attitude - I believe that the Klingon attitude serves me well in my dailiy life, though I have had others call me some very dishonorable things for my adherance to Klingon ideals. I believe in honor above all else, deep loyalty to my family and friends, and taking a direct approach in all things. This also includes speaking my mind whenever it suits me. I will not remain quiet just because it is the human thing. If I feel I have something to say, you can bet I will say it, and I will deal with any consequences that may arise.

Many, if not all, of these qualities are not exhibited by 99.8% of humanity, and as a result, I am labelled as an oddball, a wierdo, a sicko. Do I care? No. Does this cause me problems in my daily life? Sometimes. But I always have the choice not to associate with people if they find my ways distasteful. There's always an open airlock somewhere nearby, after all...

4) Beliefs - Many people I know adhere to the Christian system of belief, or more specifically, one of its many variations. Do I? No. What I believe in is epitomized by Klingons as seen on Star Trek. As Worf said, Klingons have no gods. They were more trouble tham they were worth, so they were slain. Do I believe in an afterlife of some sort? Perhaps. I'd like to believe that when my spirit passes from this shell that I will go to Stovokor, and partake in endless battles, as a Klingon should. If I live my life dishonestly, I will be bound for Greth'or, but I don't think I should be worried about that.

I tell ya, it drives my Baptist Christian friends absolutely nuts that I can believe in something portrayed by a race of fictional people, but that I can't believe the Christian bible. Klingon belief just seems to be much more real to me.

This has probably gone a bit ovberboard, but I'm done now. While I was typing this, I had a thought for a new topic and will post it shortly in the general Klingon discussion forum.

Qapla'!

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:39: PM »

posted on 9-16-2002 at 08:29 PM

Much like Kesvirit, I was just a general trekkie until I read The Final Refection. It wasn't instantaneous, but between that and Pawns and Symbols, my mental patterns have been completely Klingonized. Occasionally, if pressed I do something as an Andorian. But Klingons... What isn't right about a society where not only you get to kill your boss for being incompetent, you are expected to. Much better than reality where you get promoted because you aren't bad enough to be fired but you are still very incompetent...
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:49: PM »

quoth Klythe Much like Kesverit, I was just a gnereal trekie until I read the Final Refection. I wasn't instantanious, but between that and Pawns and Symbols, my mental patterns have been completely Klingonized.
("Rainman"-style) Smiley Yeah, the books, gotta be the books... Through the '80's, anyway. After the Great Revision (GR), Paraborg/Pocket kind of dropped the ball. But before then some of the Ballantine/Pocket novels that featured Klingons gave us a much-needed cultural viewpoint that made even the antagonists into real flesh-and-blood people, not just plot devices to make the good guys look good and ham-handedly hammer home patriotic platitudes.

How does one have one's mental patterns completely Klingonized? Is the procedure painful? I guess it depends on which end of the GR you have it done... :rolleyes:

Ocassionally, if pressed I do something as an Andorian.
Eh? Extra explanation enjoined.

But Klingons... What isn't right about a society where not only you get to kill your boss for being incompetent, you are expected to. Much better than reality where you get promoted because you aren't bad enough to be fired but you are still very incompetent...
I dunno... Getting serious for a moment, perhaps too much so, the Empire is a grim and harsh place to live. I for one have multiple physical deficiencies and am not the brightest light on the indicator panel, and would have either been left on the midden, theld-barred or sent to the Thought Masters of Medicine as an experimental subject along with prizes and worn-out, useless straav'i long ago. While I suppose this is one way of serving the Empire, I don't think it's one that anyone would choose.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 10:51: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
BuraD
Scribe

« Reply #6 on: 10 03, 2003, 11:53: PM »

posted on 9-21-2002 at 05:32 AM

what attracted me to the Klingon way of life?

Duty. Honor. Courage. Loyalty.
Words which are more than words.
Looking for something I see too little of in civilian life. Inspiration to do more and be more. Camaraderie. Shared experiences. A Celebration of the Struggle of Life.
rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #7 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:03: AM »

BuraD wrote:
Duty. Honor. Courage. Loyalty.
Words which are more than words.
Looking for something I see too little of in civilian life. Inspiration to do more and be more. Camaraderie. Shared experiences. A Celebration of the Struggle of Life.
And I respond:

Indeed, those values are more than mere words. I don't just see too little of it in life - I see virtually none at all. Sometimes I just have this urge to bash someone in the head. People can be so dishonorable, and what's worse, they consider it to be the norm, and continue with their lives as if it's okay. It's not. I have known people to whom loyalty and duty mean nothing. An unpleasant experience to say the least.

As for courage, let me give an example. There is a tv commercial airing in my area, which goes somewhat like this: It opens in a restraunt, people talking, eating, having a good time. Normal. Then, over the general din, a man is heard verbally berating his wofe, loudly. The general din of the restraunt stops almost immiediately. The man continues to bash his wife, and it's obvious he's an abusive husband to her from the dialogue. He orders her out of the restrant. The commercail then says, in text on the screen, something like "When is enough enough? When will you take a stand?" (Against domestic violence)

That shows me how most people act. It's shameful. If I were in that restraunt, I'd walk up to the guy and tell him to pick on someone his own size. If he took offense to that, I'd proceed to beat him to a bloody pulp.

On inspiration to do more and be more.. I agree. Again, so many people in life are content with the status quo. They will go with the flow, and probably die in their sleep of old age. That is far too boring for me. I take every chance I get to do something more, something exciting, something meaningful. I wish other people around me did the same.

Camraderie and shared experiences - I may not have much of that now, but that's primarily because I can't seem to find the right people to associate with. I swear, I must not be from Earth. I just don't think like most humans. Of course, if I can find some good friends, ones that understand me and what drives me, I'd be happy. That was one motivation for joining this group.

The celebration of the truggle of life - Again, something I'd love to share with others that understand me and my drives. But alas, I seem to be on a planet of the most docile, dishonest, disloyal, and boring beings in the quadrant.

To anyone out there who can understand this, I say with fervor: "HELP!"

Emails welcome Wink

QangMartoq@klingonempire.net
Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:08: AM »

posted on 9-21-2002 at 10:03 AM

I must admit...

that we are having some extremely eloquent and insightful looks into what has attracted some of our forum members into Klingon fandom and it's way of life...

I think these forums allow for a more in-depth discussion of some topics; more so than a mere mailing list, as you get a more coherent flow of thought, especially for late-comers.

I hope we can keep this discussion going, it is proving to be extremely fascinating for all...

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:21: AM »

posted on 12-13-2002 at 11:50 AM

Nothing at all?
quoth Mendoch Nothing attracts me to the Klingon way of life.
Yet something must have caught your interest, or you wouldn't be here.

It is all too much about carousing and not enough at all about serious academic study.
I think this is a common misconception that occurs when one's knowlege of things Klingon is limitited to TNG and DS9 episodes. Carousing is only one form of recreation, albeit a popular one. Opera is another, though neither does it for me. And any responsible Klingon saves the recreation until after the day's work is done and duties have been completed.

Running an Empire is serious business, and it ain't all hack-and-slash. One of the reasons the Forum was established is to foster discussion on the different aspects of Klingon culture and try to sort out the many, many blanks and inconsistancies left by the top targs at Paramount. I would highly encourage you to browse the various subforums. You'll find many posts and threads based on the social and physical sciences. (Don't just go by the thread title; content within tends to wander as people contribute new material.) If you don't find what you're looking for, by all means post your questions or commentary.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 10:53: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #10 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:25: AM »

posted on 12-13-2002 at 06:22 PM

I am here today merely as a guest to peruse your forums and learn.
If that were true the one would not have written this post. A guest does not seek to insult their host.
Kmel K'tarra
Scribe

« Reply #11 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:43: AM »

posted on 1-22-2003 at 03:43 PM

The Klingon Way of Life

For me, growing up in the sixties and watching ST:TOS on TV you might say I was raised on it. For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor. Kommander Kang expected a high set of standards for his crew and his lovers. Oh yes. (hope I did not step the boundries on this one) But the Klingon way for me is strenght and honor and also a great family unity that binds the entire Klingon race as a whole(outside of little outhouse of duras on the prarie) :lol: !!! :lol: could not resist that one.... but I do have a very twisted sence of humor at times..

~~ Clear Space and Good Landings ~~
~~ Survive and Succeed ~~

rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #12 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:54: AM »

posted on 1-22-2003 at 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Shog  The hard core honesty as unforgiving as introducing anti-matter into the warp core is a natural recruitment inducement. Also the feasibility of a spoken language and a respectable culture in our current temporal assignment are as attractive as the smell of blood.
I missed this post until I got an email today alerting me to a new post here, so I'll respond to it now.

Yes I think many of us here were attracted to that 'hard core honesty', I know I was, and I could name off some regulars here that I also sense that from.

The feasability of the Klingon spoken language is something that is unique for any science fiction tv show as far as I know - Words may have been created for other aliens here and there, perhaps a scene of dialogue, but not an entire language, and usually a professional linguist was not used to create these snippets of dialogue. Since Marc Okrand, a recognized professional linguist created the Klingon language, this adds credibility to the fact that it's not just sounds randomly strung together.

And lastly, Shog wrote "a respectable culture in our current temporal
assignment are as attractive as the smell of blood." - I agree! Call me maniacal, or whatever, but I think that I would feel right at home were I to be beamed up to a Klingon ship and taken back to Qo'noS to live.

Originally posted by KMelK  For me, growing up in the sixties and watching ST:TOS on TV you might say I was raised on it. For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor. Kommander Kang expected a high set of standards for his crew and his lovers. Oh yes. (hope I did not step the boundries on this one) But the Klingon way for me is strenght and honor and also a great family unity that binds the entire Klingon race as a whole(outside of little outhouse of duras on the prarie) :lol: !!! :lol: could not resist that one.... but I do have a very twisted sence of humor at times..
And now to respond to the post that the email msg indicated.

KMelK, you are one lucky guy to have benn 'raised' on TOS. For me, I didn't discover Trek until about 1990 when my mother and I were getting ready to leave the house,. I was ready, and she still needed about 10 more minutes, so I turned on the TV. What did I see, but some guys on a ship in space dressed in funny looking uniforms with slightly cheesy effects that somehow interested me. I watched it for about 5 minutes, then my mom walks by (She knows what it is, I don't) and yells at me to turn it off. I do so. Later that night, after we get home, I want to know what I was watching, so I get the TV Guide and look it up.. "Star Trek: The Original Series 'The Corbomite Manuever' ®"

I'll be darned. I read farther, and I see that later that night, another Star Trek is coming on, but it's called "Star Trek: The Next Generation 'Sins Of The Father'" I think "Next Generation? Hmm. 11pm. Have to be in bed by then, I'll stay up late tonight and check it out..." The rest, as they say, is history. In a twisted way, it may have been fate that led me to watch a Klingon related TNG ep that first night, uninterrupted, with my mther sleeping in the bedroom so that I could absorb it. (Had she been awake, I would have been barred from ever watching anything Trek related again, she hates Trek) From that point on, she knew that I was a Trek fan and she grudgingly accepted it, though she did nothing to encourage it - No Trek books for holidays, no Trek games, etc...

"For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor. Kommander Kang expected a high set of standards for his crew and his lovers. Oh yes. (hope I did not step the boundries on this one)"

I think that is the principle that Klingons put forth most frequently, and it is the one that most people who aspire to emulate Klingons take on first, as they should. And no, you didn;t step on my toes.. lol.. If you had, you'd know about it :lol:.

As for Duras, I'd love to think that was just some very very spoiled racht. Too bad it isn't so easy, lol.

Twisted sense of humor you say? Get in line, lol!
Kmel K'tarra
Scribe

« Reply #13 on: 10 04, 2003, 01:20: AM »

posted on 1-22-2003 at 05:26 PM

Klingon way of Life

Hello Milord;
I am new here too. semi anyways..

Originally posted by KMelk  For me, growing up in the sixties and watching ST:TOS on TV you might say I was raised on it. For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor. Kommander Kang expected a high set of standards for his crew and his lovers. Oh yes. (hope I did not step the boundries on this one) But the Klingon way for me is strenght and honor and also a great family unity that binds the entire Klingon race as a whole(outside of little outhouse of duras on the prarie) :lol: !!! :lol: could not resist that one.... but I do have a very twisted sence of humor at times..
 Originally posted by rIHaD martaq  And now to respond to the post that the email msg indicated.
KMelK, you are one lucky guy
Milord I am female. That is why I love Kommander Kang so much. He is one sexy warrior!!!

"For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor. Kommander Kang expected a high set of standards for his crew and his lovers. Oh yes. (hope I did not step the boundries on this one)"

I think that is the principle that Klingons put forth most frequently, and it is the one that most people who aspire to emulate Klingons take on first, as they should. And no, you didn;t step on my toes.. lol.. If you had, you'd know about it :lol:.

How so true Milord.... I would know about it!!! but for Klingons we do love pain as well....

As for Duras, I'd love to think that was just some very very spoiled racht. Too bad it isn't so easy, lol.

Twisted sense of humor you say? Get in line, lol!

rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #14 on: 10 04, 2003, 01:24: AM »

posted on 1-22-2003 at 09:53 PM

KMelK - Sorry for the gender mixup! No offense intended.. Gener neutral names make it a bit harder to determine gender though.. lol

Kmel K'tarra
Scribe

« Reply #15 on: 10 04, 2003, 05:40: AM »

posted on 1-22-2003 at 09:59 PM

am glad of that Milord. so good to have you as a klingon Brother and I am looking forward in going into battle with you. here is a Mug of bloodwine for you. Now lets go sharpen our blades!!!
tmk1000
Old Guard

« Reply #16 on: 10 04, 2003, 05:45: AM »

posted on 2-5-2003 at 04:19 AM

Originally posted by KMelK For me, growing and watching ST:TOS on TV you might say I was raised on it. For me the Klinogn way of life is Honor.
i to was raised on TNG most of the klingon's way of life, Honor i like it. :lol:

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Angilla
Novice

« Reply #17 on: 10 04, 2003, 05:49: AM »

posted on 2-6-2003 at 12:16 AM

I'm new here too. I still have to decide on a Klingon name... I think I'll get a hold on the language before I pick a name though. It's always nice to know what a name means before you pick it. :lol:

My dad turned me into a Trekkie when I was 5. Now I'm 18, mainly hooked on TNG and Voyager.

I've been having a lot of trouble, mostly in school, because I'm shy and all. I've always wished I were one of those outgoing extroverts but it's never really happened.

Recently the TNG episode came on where Worf heard that his father might be alive and found the camp of Klingons and Romuans living together. This was the third or fourth time I saw that episode but it sunk in this time, and since then I've wanted to learn more about the culture... more stories, more songs, etc. Mostly though I don't want to be afraid to "go into battle" ... speak up when I have something to say, etc.

So anyway, to answer the question... the culture... the language (I've always loved learning a new language)... the costumes... but mostly the honor and warrior spirit.
rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #18 on: 10 04, 2003, 05:55: AM »

posted on 2-6-2003 at 02:41 AM

nuq'neH Angilla!

That's the Klingon greeting, or the closest thing to it at least. Roughly translated, it means "What Do You Want?". It's how most Klingons start a conversation, and it's not considered rude, as it would be on Earth.

Now you know some of the language Wink

Since you're wanting to learn more of Klingon culture, I suggest that you do some reading. Three books I have found that are very good are "Diplomatic Implausability", "Kahless" (A novel), and the Day of Honor book set.. I found them all to be worthwhile reads that I took something from and used in my life.

Your local library may even have some of these books, check. There are more books, to be sure, but I'm still trying to get and read them all.

Another couple of suggestions: Try and be active (or at least regular) in this forum, you can learn quite a bit. Also, try and find a local Klingon ship in your area, you can meet other fans that way, and trust me - They are very accepting!

A tip for living your life as a Klingon: From this point on, do only what YOU know to be true and right - Do not be persuaded by the fact that another path may be "easier" or because peers are pushing you towards it. To do any less would be to injure your honor.

I encourage you to respond to this thread and ask questions, and if you ever need it, this forum does have a private messaging system, the U2U system you may have seen bits of. To send U2U messages, click the U2U icon inside a post of whoever you want to talk with - It's like email, it may take some time to receive a response.

Qapla'! (Another Klingon word, this one means "Success!" - In anything that is at hand. - It's also the traditional Klingon send off.)

You will find that Klingon are based quite heavily around some ritualistic things.

Angilla
Novice

« Reply #19 on: 10 04, 2003, 05:58: AM »

posted on 2-8-2003 at 03:19 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Smiley I've noticed a lot of ritual in the Klingon culture, I suppose that's what intrigued me when I saw Worf teaching the Klingons at the camp.

What's that karate class that he has on the enterprise in TNG?
rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #20 on: 10 04, 2003, 06:02: AM »

posted on 2-8-2003 at 02:16 PM

nuq'neH curious Angilla! That "karate class" was actually called "mok'bara" - A form designed to clear the mind for an impending battle.

You will find that Klingons treat everything in their lives as though it were a possible battle, this is how they live. Perhaps not a literal physical battle all of the time, it could be for example, a battle of words sometimes.

Anything else I can do, please let me know.

Qapla'!
Angilla
Novice

« Reply #21 on: 10 04, 2003, 06:05: AM »

posted on 2-8-2003 at 04:27 PM

nuq'neH QangMartok!

Thank you for answering my question. Smiley Do you know of any sources that teach the mok'bara? (Books, websites...)

Qapla'!
rIHaD martaq
Novice

« Reply #22 on: 10 04, 2003, 06:08: AM »

posted on 2-8-2003 at 05:10 PM

nuq'neH Angilla!

Sadly, I do not know of any sources that teach it. All I do know for sure is that is based off of tai chai. However I will search the 'Net for information and get back to you. Perhaps someone here knows? If so, please reply.

Qapla'!

Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: 10 04, 2003, 06:12: AM »

posted on 2-9-2003 at 08:43 AM

I've started a new thread for this side-topic...

Since I see this side-topic developing into a potentially lengthy discussion, I've established a new thread specifically to discuss the ancient art of Mok'bara. It can be found here:

http://klingon.org/smboard/index.php/topic,34

That way, this thread can continue to stay on it's original direction, and yet anyone interested in Mok'bara has a specific place to ask questions or to post more information about it, OK? Thanks for your cooperation on this one...
« Last Edit: 03 10, 2004, 01:25: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
qelIy
Novice

« Reply #24 on: 10 04, 2003, 06:15: AM »

posted on 2-9-2003 at 08:41 PM

getting back to the original question, what attracted me to the Klingon way of life?
i was attracted by the language. where i live i don't have access to the various Star Trek tv series. after learning tlhIngan Hol i have been surfing around trying to learn more about Klingons.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: